Share Your Favourite Virtuoso Clips

• This is ridiculous, Jeffro. That Howe / Sakurai / Chambers gig's been one of my favourites for years to kick back and watch when I'm bored!

Goes without saying that I love Senri's playing. I have her solo albums A La Mode, Buena Vista, Cider ~ Hard & Sweet and her collaboration with keyboardist Kiyomi Otaka (Kiyo*Sen)'s Chocolate Booster. Forever and a day I used to say my favourite drummers were Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro. Steve for his feel and Jeff for his metronomic precision and versatility, but, embarrassing as this has been to admit to peers, Senri has come to occupy the same space for me. She too has metronomic precision, but IMHO also possesses imagination / creativity to boot. I love Senri!

That reminds me: If you haven't checked out Hiromi Uehara, make sure you do. Talk about technique and creativity / imagination. She has no peer IMHO... that I'm aware of anyway, and that's a huge call when you think of dudes like my all-time-fave keyboardist George Duke and of course the "peerless" Oscar Peterson. Fairdinkim, mate, if it can be done on keyboards, Hiromi can do it.

Dude,

The longer I'm on this forum, the more I find that I have in common with you. I love Gambale and Corea, and own quite a few of their works along with solo efforts from Patitucci and Weckl. They definitely have musical chemistry together and it clearly shows in all of their work. I have a couple Scott Henderson efforts (Nomad, Tribal Tracks), as well. So while I am primarily a metalhead at heart... I love me some fusion, smooth jazz, and classical to break it up, sometimes.

Anyway, all this just to say, GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. :)

Fun fact: Frank Gambale has a connection to my buddy who owns the only music-gear store I patronise in Australia. IIRC Frank's family owned the store originally, for many years.

I absolutely love Tribal Tech; they're something else, and Nomad's definitely one of their best albums. My favourite has always been Tribal Tech from 1991; it's the album after Nomad. I took it on holiday in 1992 on my portable-DAT player as the sole album to listen to. Incredible trip into an alternate reality. If you don't have it, I highly recommend taking a listen.

Now if you approve of the following, I'll be speechless. I'm gonna cut through all the usual funk, neo-classical metal, prog-rock and metal, pop-rock (like Toto, Little River Band etc.), all-things-Japan suspects and take you back to the first album I ever bought. I've still got the cassette and whilst it's degraded big-time from hundreds, if not thousands of plays, the Quincy Jones production and arrangements have maximised the album's ability to withstand being played back on a heavily-worn 39-year-old cassette!

I'll just select two tracks from PooToob. Unfortunately the first is a vinyl upload where the record player has obvious speed-consistency issues (belt slipping maybe), but the second track, thankfully, is fine, and is my fave off the album.

It's tempting to say they don't make 'em like they used to, but that wouldn't do this album justice. It'd be more-accurate IMHO to say that as an electric-instrument-era album, it occupies rare air in terms of musical "class", arrangement, production and mature musicianship. Maybe it's just 'cause it's the first record I bought as a young punk, but then, maybe it's 'cause I've got "taste". :D My 11 and 12-year-old friends all thought I was nuts. :pinch:

Album: The Brothers Johnson ~ Light Up the Night

Smilin' On Ya (complete with craptastic record-player warble)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrations ~ Been in my top-3-highest-rated tracks for 39 years since its release, the only one that's never been toppled from this position! A fairdinkum masterpiece, mate.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is my favorite Sco Band.8)

External Content www.youtube.com

• Monkey_Man Awesome! Thanks for the pointers for new tunes to check out. Totally dug the retro funk vibe of the Brothers Johnson stuff, too! I own the Sakurai DVD, so I pop it in every so often, myself. Plus, I'm a huge Greg Howe fan, so that's extra incentive. Seeing Greg was actually my second concert ever, right after seeing Exodus/Helloween/Anthrax as part of the Headbanger's Ball Tour that I won tickets to off the radio. It. Was. Epic! Especially as a wee pup of ~17 years or so.

I own "Primal Tracks" and "Reality Check" by Tribal Tech. I'll definitely check out the others you cited.

Super cool about Gambale's music store!

Thanks, bro!

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• LOL Turns out, I own "Nomad", as well, and am enjoying listening to that in my office as we speak!

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Simon Phillips with Greg Howe and Protocol 4:

Impact Fuse with the title track from their CD, "Moscow":

and last but not least, Marius Pop and the M Theory with the title track off their cd, "First Step" performed live. Fast forward to the 5:00 mark to skip the drum solo stuff. :)

Enjoy!

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• And how about some Devil's Slingshot? Because NO TIME is a BAD TIME for MacAlpine! Or that Donati and Sheehan guy, either. :)

For the record, they are playing T-Mac tunes, no Slingshot one's in this particular vid.

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Sheehan? He's nearly like 70 years old? And still better than 99% of the worlds bassists. And Tony, I used to and play his album Maximum Security so much back in the 80's. I listened to it recently after more than 20 years since last time and....it's still as good as it was back then. It's timeless

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• LOL I've got Protocol I, II & III, but not IV yet; that was 2017 IIRC.

Got pretty much all Tony's stuff. He's a Virgo like me, but unfortunately that hasn't translated across to playing ability. ;(

As for Virgil, I used to watch him weekly at the Grainstore Tavern in Melbourne on Thursday nights in the late '80s with his band Loose Change (formerly "Changes"). Used to chat quite a bit with the guys, especially the bass players; they went through 5 of them off the top of my head. Mark the guitarist promised me lessons, but nothing came of that unfortunately.

One of our members here, Dave Locke, had Virgil lined-up to play on one of his albums but unfortunately that didn't happen either. Derek Sherinian (another Virgo!) did play with him 'though.

• Figured I'd post this over here too, as Eddie Head, Brett Stine, Derek Blakley, and Rob Stankiewicz are all monster players in their own right.

Relistening to a bunch of the old Shrapnel Records catalog that I have. Decided to hit some of the 90's era stuff, today. These guys are ultra talented on every instrument. Vocally, think Alice In Chains for the 1995 self-titled release here:

And from their "2012" release, with Daniel Tomkins (Tesseract) on vox.

And a very cool instrumental from the same album:

Enjoy,

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Here's a clip from Johhny Mac and The 4th Dimension. Whether his tone is good or not, his musicanship is (and always has been, imho) stunning and unquestionable ....

As a session musician in the London scene in the 60's, through The Mahavishnu Orchestra, the Live in San Francisco concert with Al Di Miola and Paco de Lucia and then too much to mention here, this guy was/is a true visionary ...

More than worthy of a mention here is his exceptionally fine bassist .....

• Another good example for bass and guitar along with a tight drummer _;)

• Not in a good trim in video and sound - but so great!

• Hey Kulle, long time no see, brother. Hope you're well, mate. <3

George Duke is my all-time-fave keyboardist, and that song's from After Hours, as you may know. There're a few other cool versions of it on youtube as well of course:

• Monkey_Man

Yepp I know this versions. The Java-version is great. But that what I posted has a more unspoiled charisma for my point of feel. Earlier time of course. ;)
    Ok and I like the playing of Ritenour especially in common with the younger Marcus Miller.

Had 2 hard years in job... Thats the reason of low presence.

• Abnormal Thought Patterns - with vox by Between the Buried and Me

\m/ \m/

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Bireli Lagrene, an amazing musician .....

Gypsy Jazz guitar player par excellence, who ably demonstrates his love of the bass skills of Jaco Pastorius ...

• Monkey_Man

Yepp I know this versions. The Java-version is great. But that what I posted has a more unspoiled charisma for my point of feel. Earlier time of course. ;)
    Ok and I like the playing of Ritenour especially in common with the younger Marcus Miller.

Had 2 hard years in job... Thats the reason of low presence.

I hear you, brother.

I'm a huge Rit & Miller fan too since I was a teen back in the Stone(d?) Age.

• How about Josh Myers?

This guys is tops!

• Lagrene again with his trio. A quote from one poster "Django's son Babik thought that Birili was as good if not better than his father" Praise indeed!