Share Your Favourite Virtuoso Clips

• Morph I believe Roy is local to us and friends with Rowan J Parker and others around here. There is always something about his videos that looks off to me (like filmed half speed and played back normally). I have never seen him play live but Rowan and others swear he is really that fast so maybe he’s just too fast for the frame rate to capture.

It’d be good to see a live performance when the curtain raises in a couple of months.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• MuddySludge posted this in:

What kind of music do you listening right now?

... but it obviously belongs here, so...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I had that video on VHS when it came out. Watched it death as Larry is one of my all time guitar heroes ?????

• The solo Sonny Landreth lays down here is the most ridiculous thing. Saw this when the DVD came out and 14 years later.....it still comes to mind when I hear a slide player. Dude was on absolute fire here....

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Larry and Lee got me through the '80s.

Never had Larry and alee but off to listen now ?

When I said that I meant that I listened to both of their catalogues separately as opposed to the 1977 album, "Larry & Lee"... in case you misunderstood brudda. ;)

The Captain's Journey, Banded Together, Earth Run and Festival were the Lee Ritenour albums in my collection.

Dude, you must add Captain Fingers, Feel the Night, First Course and Wes Bound to that collection. Trust me on this.

Captain Fingers and The Captain's Journey are like one big album together, pairing perfectly and worth it for Steve Gadd and Abe Laboriel's work alone.

First Course was his first album and one of the first true-fusion albums ever. Great organic sound on that one.

Wes Bound was his tribute to Wes and boasts superb playing from Lee along with incredibly-engineered sounds and mixes. Superb.

Three brilliant tracks from First Course:

Check out Steve and Abe's work on the title track from Captain Fingers. This work became a part of me back in the '80s. Timeless and an absolute classic IMHO. Lee's soloing isn't too-shabby either:

• When I said that I meant that I listened to both of their catalogues separately as opposed to the 1977 album, "Larry & Lee"... in case you misunderstood brudda. ;)

I originally thought that was what you meant but then checked Lee’s full back catalogue on Spotify and noticed the collaboration album and thought I had originally misunderstood you. Turns out I was righht before I was wrong but now I’m right again ?

• My first encounter was First Course and we used to play 'Wild Rice' (named after his wife, I believe) Aside from his smooth guitar work, it was a revelation to hear the work of Dave Grusin who I have long since admired .... Here, the two of them play 'Mountain Dance'

• we used to play 'Wild Rice' (named after his wife, I believe)

Interesting. I didn't know he was ever married 'cause he's gay.

Aside from his smooth guitar work, it was a revelation to hear the work of Dave Grusin who I have long since admired ....

Oh yeah man! Dave's the man. I love that everything he does is so-melodic.

My fave "collab" with Lee was the 1982 live album with the "NY/LA Dream Band". It featured his brother Don, Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson and Eric Gale, several of my fave fusion artists, and what an epic live performance. Had the LP on heavy rotation back in the '80s and still love it to this day.

Personal observation:

To my ears, this has always been a "black background" recording. Kudos to Dave Grusin and Larry Rosen who mixed and produced it, and Larry who recorded it. Even through my ZeroBass CrapMac Mono™ computer speaker I can immediately hear that "black background" quality. Few albums share this quality to me, Thriller, Off the Wall and the Brothers Johnson's Light Up the Night being the only exceptions I can think of right now, and they're all Quincy Jones productions, so I really rate this album as being right-up-there for so many reasons.

If you haven't already heard it (I'm guessing you have 'cause you like Dave), here 'tis in all its glory.

One last observation:

If you don't keep reminding yourself, it's easy to forget it's a live recording. Impeccable:

• My fave "collab" with Lee was the 1982 live album with the "NY/LA Dream Band".

I spent a massive amount of time in the late 80’s and early 90’s listening to the GRP Super Live double CD. One disc was the Supergroup and the other was Chick Corea’s Electrik Band with Gambale, Pattitucci and Weckl. Awesome playing allround.

• Yup, great gig, Alan; thank you for sharing matey. :thumbup:

Not mixed by Dave and Larry, but still warrants the Grusin-Rosen Productions moniker quality-wise.

Much more of a straight-up fusion gig of course, whereas the NY/LA Dream Band one sports a more-open sound field and intentionally sounds more-epic. More like a film score IOW and it's a continuous journey.

You've got good taste, brudda... in my humble, unbiased opinion. :D

• 8)

• Oh yeah, Brother Mud. 8)

I've got Ryan Martinie's Soften the Glare and Mudvayne stuff, but the latter's Nu Metal and doesn't showcase his abilities to anywhere near the extent of StG.

I like that his style is unique, at least as far as I've felt for some time now. Gotta respect that. :thumbup:

• For all fans of the late, great Paco De Lucia. This guy does an incredible tribute .... :)

• These guys always amazed me.8)

• @Muddy

I listen to this many times .After Mr.Ritenour ,Jan Akkerman is one of my favorite guitar player .