DI profile not even close

• Tried that and they insist that it works fine... even though it doesn't... so I've lost interest. Its no wonder no one in Japan has ever heard of Kemper...

Can you please tell me the ticket number that you have received because i cannot find any case when i search for your email address in our database.

• Can you please tell me the ticket number that you have received because i cannot find any case when i search for your email address in our database.

I didn't get a ticket number, just several direct responses from Vivian Prinz/Sales Administration...

The older I get, the better I was.

• Thank you. I talked to Vivian about your case and according to your emails your problem was caused by cookies. Please try to order from a friends computer if possible since your problem appears to be really isolated as we frequently receive orders from other japanese customers and our japanese office has also verified that they have no problem using our webshop from japan.

• Thank you. I talked to Vivian about your case and according to your emails your problem was caused by cookies. Please try to order from a friends computer if possible since your problem appears to be really isolated as we frequently receive orders from other japanese customers and our japanese office has also verified that they have no problem using our webshop from japan.

As I already explained to Vivian, I have the same exact problem on 3 separate computers using 4 different browsers. I was a computer tech for many years and know when a site is faulty... yours is faulty and I'm sure I'm not the only customer you have lost as a result. Do what you like with that information.

Regardless, I have just purchased a Hughes & Kettner Red Box 5, so I have no longer have a need for the Kemper DI Box.

• I wanted to report back after finally trying the Kemper DI. I had some issues obtaining it in through the US online store but eventually was able to make the purchase.

Sadly, the DI did not solve the problem. I was really hoping it would but the result is identical to the Countryman 85 and the cheap, passive Livewire DI. I thought briefly that since the Kemper is transformerless, it might yield a different result.

So... I'm still open to ideas but it seems like most of them have been presented here and haven't solved the problem. The Kemper DI was one of the most mentioned solutions and it hasn't made any difference. This supports the people that claim to have tried multiple DIs, including the Kemper, and feel that the Countryman sounded the best out of all.

Just to reiterate... the issue I'm having is not subtle or something that could be chalked up to a matter of opinion. The title of this thread (of which I am the OP) is "DI profile not even close". This is the best way to say it.

Is it possible something is wrong with my KPA? Everything else seems to work as described. Being that the profiling process is largely the same for DI as it is for Studio profiles, the only thing I can think is that maybe the "No Cabinet" process is not functioning correctly? In this case, it would be something that could be fixed with a software update. That would be best case scenario. Much better than going through the process of replacement. I'd rather send the amp I'm trying to profile to Kemper and see if they have better luck. :P

I guess I'm just at a loss.

• Have you looked at the Hughes & Kettner Red Box 5? I just ordered one and the added functionality over the Kemper DI might address the issue you are having.

[Blocked Image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/L2cMtRbvuvU/maxresdefault.jpg]

• Have you looked at the Hughes & Kettner Red Box 5? I just ordered one and the added functionality over the Kemper DI might address the issue you are having.

[Blocked Image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/L2cMtRbvuvU/maxresdefault.jpg]

hey brother, I understand your frustration but this is not the right choice of a DI box, there is circuitry in this box that is always running for cab simulation and it will NOT do a proper DI profile, if you can cancel your order do it right away, in my opinion.

• Very sorry you're still having issues. IMHO it is possible that your Kemper has a hardware problem. I might be wrong, but judging from how the Kemper operates in several of its modes, the Kemper engineers are fond of adding automatic gain adjustment circuitry in their inputs. My first Kemper had a problem with this circuitry in the Alternate input and had to be returned. Perhaps yours has an issue in the input used for profiling.

As a review, does your Kemper make correct Studio profiles? Is it only Direct profiles causing problems?

Finally, could you post the profile that did not work out properly? I'd like to load it in my Kemper for a listen.

• Quote from MKB

As a review, does your Kemper make correct Studio profiles? Is it only Direct profiles causing problems?

Finally, could you post the profile that did not work out properly? I'd like to load it in my Kemper for a listen.

Direct profiles only. I even tried taking a DI profile without the No Cabinet button checked. By the time it was done, the KPA had turned it on automatically. It’s a smart machine.

I have so many attempts at direct profiles, I can’t remember what is what at this point. Maybe I can do a fresh set of profiles, both studio and DI, and post it here. Maybe I’ll have a minute this weekend.

• I just read through this entire thread. It was difficult to follow. I have a ton of amps, some homemade, and they have all profiled correctly. All of the third-party profiles sound fine. I’m sorry, but I wasn’t able to determine reading the thread, if you are using a proper IR or a cabinet with your DI profiles. Do you mind answering with a simple yes or no? DI profiles sound relatively awful by themselves, as they should. When I first tried profiling my amps, I used third party DI boxes, but they had poor results. They were not suited to the task. Reading the thread, I see that you’re now using a Kemper DI. But I cannot follow, if you have been able to make an acceptable profile yet. To repeat, I have never encountered an amp that could not be profiled. I realize this doesn’t help, but there honestly has to be something odd going on here. One more point: every time I’ve had an issue, I’ve called tech support directly in Germany (M-Th). A real person answers, they speak better English than I do! Have you gone that route, because email and forums are like throwing messages into a bottle.

When will my talent upgrade be released?

• hey brother, I understand your frustration but this is not the right choice of a DI box, there is circuitry in this box that is always running for cab simulation and it will NOT do a proper DI profile, if you can cancel your order do it right away, in my opinion.

I would've loved to get a Kemper DI but, while they make a great profiler, they do not know how to make a working webshop... the Japan shop simply doesn't work and any information to the contrary is pure BS... so between the Redbox and my Torpedo Live I hope to find a working solution...

• I have been trying to "silently" DI profile my tube amps using a torpedo captor.
    In some situations I got very good results, but sometimes "not even close" as well. But never great, for sure.

In a last attempt to take my profiles to a next level I ordered the Kemper DI.
    I put it in between the amp and the loadbox and guess what: bullseye!
    First attempt, no refining, no post EQing, save, done.
    And it was not an "easy to profile situation".
    It was a TriAxis Lead 2 Yellow pushing HARD a MESA 2:FIFTY power amp, which was one of the "not even close" situations I faced before ...

Now my profiling project is about to start 8)

• I would've loved to get a Kemper DI but, while they make a great profiler, they do not know how to make a working webshop... the Japan shop simply doesn't work and any information to the contrary is pure BS... so between the Redbox and my Torpedo Live I hope to find a working solution...

Unfortunately the Red Box is totally unsuitable for profiling because it has speaker emulation always on.

You dn’t need the Kemper DI thoug. You can get pretty good result with a cheap DI like ART Xdirect or Zdirect or a little Behringer DI as none of these include speaker emulation.

• Unfortunately the Red Box is totally unsuitable for profiling because it has speaker emulation always on.
    You dn’t need the Kemper DI thoug. You can get pretty good result with a cheap DI like ART Xdirect or Zdirect or a little Behringer DI as none of these include speaker emulation.

yes, the Redbox absolutely will not work properly at all… No matter what signal chain you try, it is not suitable for DI profiling, period.

• I just read through this entire thread. It was difficult to follow. I have a ton of amps, some homemade, and they have all profiled correctly. All of the third-party profiles sound fine. I’m sorry, but I wasn’t able to determine reading the thread, if you are using a proper IR or a cabinet with your DI profiles. Do you mind answering with a simple yes or no? DI profiles sound relatively awful by themselves, as they should. When I first tried profiling my amps, I used third party DI boxes, but they had poor results. They were not suited to the task. Reading the thread, I see that you’re now using a Kemper DI. But I cannot follow, if you have been able to make an acceptable profile yet. To repeat, I have never encountered an amp that could not be profiled. I realize this doesn’t help, but there honestly has to be something odd going on here. One more point: every time I’ve had an issue, I’ve called tech support directly in Germany (M-Th). A real person answers, they speak better English than I do! Have you gone that route, because email and forums are like throwing messages into a bottle.

It’s understandable that this causes confusion. I feel like I’ve said this in earlier posts but you’ve read through it all and still have questions. So here goes.

I know that the general opinion is that a DI profile is not pleasing to the ear. It’s not what we are used to hearing. I understand all of this. I’m not trying to use a DI profile without a cabinet. However, I still have ears and I can hear that there is an undeniable difference between the horrible sound that comes out of my amp’s output transformer and the equally horrible sound I am left with after profiling. I don’t need to bother listening through a cabinet or attempting to merge the DI and studio profiles to “see what happens”. I went through all of that the first week I had the KPA. I can click a button and hear the before and after. I can hear the speaker output on the amp in real time. I can also hear the KPA’s attempt at a DI profile and they sound nothing alike. There is no setting I can tweak to make it sound even remotely like the DI sound of my amp.

Did this answer your question or are you still confused?

If you have had 100% success, then obviously you are doing everything correctly. I have been through the manual, online video demonstrations and countless forums and I am fairly sure that I have followed all instructions to the letter. I understand there are a lot of helpless, clueless individuals on Internet forums. I am not one of them. I am fairly technically savvy and quite patient in matters such as this. I don’t know how else to explain it. It’s comforting to know that I’m not the only one but so far it sounds like the others having the same problems haven’t reached a solution either. Hopefully this thread can change that.

Edited once, last by absrec ().

• Finally, could you post the profile that did not work out properly? I'd like to load it in my Kemper for a listen.

Here are 3 profiles -

P45 TEST STUDIO - Typical setup. Single 12" Speaker miced with an SM57. The amp head is connected to the input of the Kemper DI and then to the input of the cabinet.

P45 TEST DI - No settings changed on amp. I simply moved the XLR cable from the SM57 to the Kemper DI. "No Cabinet" button is engaged.

P45 TEST MERGED - Here are the aforementioned captures merged exactly as instructed in the KPA manual.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. And the thoughts of anyone else who cares to check these out.