DI profile not even close

• I just tried the merged and DI profiles through my Bogner 4X12 cabinets And there is something very seriously wrong… When I lower the gain on the DI profile the volume triples… Plus the definition is at zero? I tried raising the definition to 5, 6,7... Didn’t really help… It sounds to me like there is something going wrong in the profiling process…
    I would open a support ticket and get the experts to look at these profiles…

• Correct weight, Sam, and I suspect the setting was carried over from the level experimentation when the Profile was made.

IOW, he forgot to return it to a sane level after realising it made no difference to the Kemper's Profiling-out level.

EDIT:
    Maybe I've got this confused with another thread? I just remember someone saying the Profiling level was really-low...

• Ouch! That is definitely not normal behaviour. There is either something wrong with the profiling / merging process or your KPA must have a hardware fault. There definitely shouldn't be that much difference between the Merged and Studio profiles. My experience has been that the Merged Profile and Studio Profile sound almost identical. Any slight difference is probably down to the cheap ART DI box I am using. But when used with a real cab there is effectively no difference between the pure DI signal and the Merged signal with cab disabled.

• hello I'm new to kemper. I have a un powered kemper i go straigjt to front of house pa my Q is what's the best cab for my kemper profiler for live gigs ? As I just bought a DB technology B hype active powered speaker and it sounds awful at full gig volume

• Only one one I have tried so far is db technology B hype pa monitor. I'm after a good classic rock tone. I've got a few profiles from Michael britt which sound great through headphones but in a live setup they sound awafull through the monitor

• I only wrote, to get clarification, to help. You must be frustrated, because your response was a bit offsides. I am genuinely sorry you’re having this problem.

Have you tried calling customer support? You didn’t mention that point.

I listened to your clips. Yes, something is definitely wrong. My KPA profiles do not have those characteristics.

When will my talent upgrade be released?

• I only wrote, to get clarification, to help. You must be frustrated, because your response was a bit offsides. I am genuinely sorry you’re having this problem.

Have you tried calling customer support? You didn’t mention that point.

I listened to your clips. Yes, something is definitely wrong. My KPA profiles do not have those characteristics

Sorry... Last week was just very busy for me and my head was elsewhere. I opened up a support ticket a while ago. I was asked a few questions and they asked me to provide some profiles from the kemper as well as a couple backup files. I got a response saying they were going to forward it to their engineers to be analyzed (or whatever) and that was the last transmission. Not sure what happened with that. I've been too busy to follow up. I'm going to do that now.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. It confirms my suspicions.

• Yes, two major symptoms of trouble with your Direct and merged profiles.

1) Definition 0 ( zero ) I think this is impossible… ?(

2) When lowering the gain, the volume increases substantially, way too much, never ever experienced this either.

• Yes, two major symptoms of trouble with your Direct and merged profiles.

1) Definition 0 ( zero ) I think this is impossible… ?(

2) When lowering the gain, the volume increases substantially, way too much, never ever experienced this either.

I did mess with the clean and distortion sensitivity but I thought I put them back. That's probably on me. Sorry.

• So it appears that your DI Profiles come out much more distorted than the original. Correct?
    How does the Profile come out, when you reduce the gain of your amp?

CK

• So it appears that your DI Profiles come out much more distorted than the original. Correct?How does the Profile come out, when you reduce the gain of your amp?

CK

Yes, my DI profiles come out with a lot more gain. But that’s only part of the story. The resulting profile is missing a ton of information in the upper half of the frequency spectrum. Above 1K or so. There is quite a roll off. To the point where only the low strings of the guitar make an impact.

As for less gain, I don’t know. I’ve never tried it. I would like to add that the channel volume (gain) is not anywhere close to “dimed” the way I play it. The volume control typically sits around 25%. I would never play through that amp at a lower volume. What’s the point? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the concept of the KPA to capture the tone the player wants, not what it wants?

I checked back in on my support ticket. I was given some suggestions for diagnostic measures to determine if there is a hardware fault. I plan to carry those out in the next day or two. At this point, my suspicion is that the end result will be an inability to capture a DI profile of this particular amp. That’s disappointing considering it is the main reason I bought the KPA in the first place.

• I borrowed my friend's Kemper PowerHead. I went through the exact process and the result was the same. So, I guess that's that. The good news is my KPA is fully functional and free of defects. The bad news is kind of obvious.

• Yes, my DI profiles come out with a lot more gain. But that’s only part of the story. The resulting profile is missing a ton of information in the upper half of the frequency spectrum. Above 1K or so. There is quite a roll off. To the point where only the low strings of the guitar make an impact.
    As for less gain, I don’t know. I’ve never tried it. I would like to add that the channel volume (gain) is not anywhere close to “dimed” the way I play it. The volume control typically sits around 25%. I would never play through that amp at a lower volume. What’s the point? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the concept of the KPA to capture the tone the player wants, not what it wants?

I checked back in on my support ticket. I was given some suggestions for diagnostic measures to determine if there is a hardware fault. I plan to carry those out in the next day or two. At this point, my suspicion is that the end result will be an inability to capture a DI profile of this particular amp. That’s disappointing considering it is the main reason I bought the KPA in the first place.

I never doubted that your Profiler is ok.
    My assumption is that your amp has aspects in the signal flow that is not common to most other amps.

My question for lowering the gain would be just a check to see how it reacts.
    As a side aspect, it would have been a check that your Profiler is ok.
    Have you checked other tube amps for making successful DI profiles? That would be a cross check as well.

• Quote from ckemper

I never doubted that your Profiler is ok.
    My assumption is that your amp has aspects in the signal flow that is not common to most other amps.

My question for lowering the gain would be just a check to see how it reacts.
    As a side aspect, it would have been a check that your Profiler is ok.
    Have you checked other tube amps for making successful DI profiles? That would be a cross check as well.

I wouldn’t say “not common”. Through my own research with other Kemper users, this issue has been reported on amps from Matchless, Friedman, Trainwreck, Bad Cat, Peavey... It sounds like it may be certain amps that reproduce large transients despite having a good amount of gain. Judging from the extreme high end roll off, it seems like it’s impedance related. Like the profiler isn’t “reading” these output transformers correctly.

When trying my friend’s profiler, I used the opportunity to turn the amp down even further. I tried bringing the presence down all the way as well. These changes made no difference whatsoever.

I believe I stated earlier in this thread that I had better luck with my heavily modified ‘68 Fender “Bassmaster”. I see that many other amps have been successfully profiled judging by the rig packs on the market and the free profiles available on rig exchange. My concern is the inability to capture the DI sound of my favorite amp so I can use the KPA as it is advertised to work in a live performance situation.

• You can still use Studio profiles live with a guitar cab. I do. I don’t even disengage the Kemper Cab section, which ought to give me less than satisfying results, but the cabinet I use seems to work with the profiles I gravitate towards. It works for me.

• You can still use Studio profiles live with a guitar cab. I do. I don’t even disengage the Kemper Cab section, which ought to give me less than satisfying results, but the cabinet I use seems to work with the profiles I gravitate towards. It works for me.

hi Sam,
    Do you play mostly clean guitar? Do you have a powered K PA?
    Playing a studio rig/profile ( with cab Sim ) through a real guitar cabinet with my powered KPA sounds like absolute garbage... There is no way possible that I could stand it for even 10 seconds…
    I have my powered KPA set up so that it includes cabinets to FOH but removes cabinets for my monitor/speaker out…
    Are we talking about the same thing here? Because I really don’t understand your post…
    ?(
    Hope you are having a great weekend bro!
    KEITH

• I use my KPA with three different bands and set ups, everything from country clean, to surf, to fuzz, blues and rock. It isn’t often I get to play seriously high gain out live, though I have my few favourite profiles for shredding and chugging on at home. My first KPA was a Power Rack, that I played through my Marshall 4x12 and 2x12. At first, I used the monitor cab off option in the Output settings, as that sounded best with my Marshall gear. It changed when I got a Matrix NL12 to go with my unpowered toaster that I put an Ambrosi 60W power amp in the back of. Now I don’t bother turning off Cabs, though there certainly are profiles that don’t play so nicely with the NL12, but that’s no biggie. I just move on to a more appropriate profile. I’ve also made my own profiles of my amps and went so far as to profile just the Ambrosi and the NL12, and the NL12 alone, thinking that that would get me closer to profiles that I could use anytime in any situation (swapping Cabs in DA Profiles etc.). Once I stopped really obsessing about it though and started to hear the tones coming back through the Cab for what they were and not what I expected them to be, I realised that they were mostly all usable, and the majority actually sounded great. When I play larger venues I sometimes will take a bigger cab, but I treat it the same. Sometimes I might tweak the Output EQ a little if the room requires it, but mostly the sound is just grand. Compares very favourably with the band with two guitarists, too. He plays mostly old Fenders with various drives and boosts.