Double tracking vs quad vs more? Is it only for sloppy players?

• That's interesting. You don't usually go DI for the bass, Will? Had a huge debate on a bass forum where everyone was saying that the best way to record bass was to go DI.

No. I rarely take a DI.
    Bass guitar sounds better through and amp, just like guitars do. And also dep being in the type of bass drum sound you’re going for, it usually blends better as well.

The exception is highly electronic music where the bass drum is a machine as well and has a super CLOSE quality that marries better with DI bass guitar.

• No. I rarely take a DI.
    Bass guitar sounds better through and amp, just like guitars do. And also dep being in the type of bass drum sound you’re going for, it usually blends better as well.

The exception is highly electronic music where the bass drum is a machine as well and has a super CLOSE quality that marries better with DI bass guitar.

Makes sense that a lot of "modern" producers would be using this approach then. EDM is still insanely huge.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Just for fun, I recorded a cover song and did it with just two rhythm guitar tracks, unlike my usual quad.

You can get a decently thick tone, but you gotta use a very thick sound and boost the bass guitar (volume & distortion) a bit more than usual, to get the thickness:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Oh and Youtube being Youtube, here's a FLAC version too:
    http://juhau.mbnet.fi/fearfactory-bodyhammer.flac

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000

• Sounds cool. Which profile did you use?

For guitars, I used the "CORPSE" preset from Deadlight (Mesa Recto) and for bass I used the "Smashing Fuzz" preset by Ruppert. But there's a bunch of post-processing on them (EQ, some mild multiband comp), and the bass especially is only like 20 % of the Kemper. I took a DI signal also and applied most of the processing on that.

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000