Preset gain in various rigs versus profiled gain???

• When I check out new rigs or profiles, the gain settingis are most usually set to an almost unusable level. Is this set by the creator of the profile???
    And is the gain indicator in rig manager this level of preset gain or is it a visual indicator that the amp was profiled on a higher gain setting??
    What is confusing is any “clean” profile can be set for higher gain, so I am not real sure about the benefit of the gain indicator. Thanks.

• The gain is automatically set during the profiling process and represents the amount of distortion that the reference amp was producing.
    You can change it afterward and store the result if you like it better than the original setting.
    Raising the gain on a clean rig will result in a different tone compared to a profile of the same amp taken at a higher gain setting.

• It is very hard for me to believe that anyone could use some of these rigs with the gain setting at full or even half. I cannot beleive that someone profiled their amp at 100% gain as set when I pull the rig up. I think something is wrong here and really do not get it unless the gain setting is somehow arbitrary when it is first pulled up.

• It could be that the author of the Profile, or someone else, changed the gain setting and resaved the Rig.

As HJ said, the Profiling process determines the apparent gain setting of the amp and sets the gain pot accordingly, but this can be overwritten at any time.

• I also find it hard to understand why anybody would want as much gain as some of the profiles out there but then I’m not a metal or Djent player. For me it is definitely a matter of my personal tast is for less gain but I don’t see that as a flaw in the profiles. Lots of people love ola Englund, Lasse Lamert, Sinmix etc profiles. They sound horrible to me. I mean really horrible. But I also understand that I just getting too old for that stuff and that’s just my personal taste. Lots of people LOVE lots of gain and that’s cool too.