Am I crazy to buy a second Kemper?

• Been using the Kemper as my main live rig for a good 10 months now. I'm in a touring band and we all use IEM's and no cabs on stage. Recently we've streamlined things to the point that my Kemper and our bassist's rig lives in one rolling rack unit. This makes setup a breeze and makes a ton of sense when loading into the trailer etc.

When done with a weekend run and I have a week or so off, I'll typically unscrew my Kemper out of the rack and take it with me. However, this is becoming a pain - especially if this is in the middle of the trailer somewhere. Knowing we'll have another run in 4-5 days, I'll sometimes just say "screw it" and leave it in the trailer which leaves me without my Kemper for 4-5 days. I also run a studio and like having the Kemper there whenever possible. For awhile I was just using a 4-space SKB roto case and taking the Kemper in and out of the trailer whenever possible - and taking it with me... but this rolling rack we've been using has a drawer for misc items and cables, my wireless, etc... just makes much more sense for touring purposes....and is super streamlined with our bassist's rig to just roll in one rack for that side of the stage.

So long story short - I've been toying around with the idea of getting a second Kemper to keep in my studio and then leaving my other Kemper in the band's trailer all the time.

I can't help but feel like this makes me lazy or if it's really the most practical thing to do. Any thoughts?

• Kemper Powerhead. You can experiment with traditional cabs, or play in context to mixes through your studio monitors and of course come-up with new or alternate profiles for use with the band. You wouldn’t think, but it’s really nice, nicer, to interface with the head design. I’ve owned both. The rack is great for touring. Taking it in and out weekly though sounds like how it would most likely get damaged. And yeah just a big hassle.

• It's entirely down to how much you play out with it. When I gig, I put mine in a rack with my IEM stuff. It's a pain putting it in the rack case and wiring it up but I play once or twice a year live and don't use IEMs for normal band practice stuff. So I can't justify a second Kemper to use once or twice a year, but if gigged a lot more, then damn right I could.

• Hey johnmcguire based on your post i think picking up a Toaster would be pretty practical and if used well wouldn’t be a sign of laziness. It’d also help reduce the wear and tear on your rack gear. I’d view it as a good musical investment as long as it’s not going to hurt you financially and you’ll actually use it to further your musical goals. Think of it as a painter having an extra easel and brushes at home instead of just one at the studio…..at least that’s how I’d try and justify it to my wife

• How many people have different amps for the rehearsal room, for live use, at home...

For me it´s perfectly normal to have two Kempers, as you would have different amps for different uses. But in this case the Kemper is so, so versatile that the same piece of equipment can be used in different places.

So yes, go for it. I have 2 of them and I only play at home and in the rehearsal room. No live, no studio (maybe I am lazy).

• I have two toasters ...one in the studio which gets all the beta software on furst
    and another that is my live rig ...if either goes wrong I have a back-up ...and if I need two great pre-amps in the studio when tracking ...well I have them

• Oh, and talking about reselling...

In your current situation you are not certanly in a hurry tu buy. You could always wait till the oportunity to buy one used in your zone.

And if you play live so many times you can also justify your laziness as to having a backup, just in case...

• Bit of a no brainer really for you. I only have one purely becuase its in the same rack case I use for gigs and rehersals. As you haveyours set up for touring, you run the risk of dmagaing it unplugging, unscrewing each time, plus you have a back-up.

If you can afford it, do it!

• Have you even told your other half that you have bought the first one?.... lol :)