A different approach to profiling........Maybe!

• Hi, I'd like opinions please. I have profiled my amps like most of us have,with a mic on cab and/or direct, plugged into the kemper. Other than going to a pro studio, has anyone tried to create profiles using their audio interface with plugins like waves SSL 4000 series console? Simulating what the BIG studios use? I dont have a mixer just a few dynamic and condenser mic's (SM58/ 2 MXL's), an RME Fireface ucx with great mic pre's and some audio plugins. If you have tried this type of set up how were the results compared to just plugging in a mic to your kemper.

• I've never plugged a mic directly in my Kemper. I've always ran a mic to a preamp, then into the Kemper.

Does the Kemper input have phantom power? I guess it's crazy that I never even assumed that going directly in was a possibility. I just always made the assumption that a quality mic and preamp was an essential component of the profile sound.

Using plugins to profile seems pointless. Make the profile, then when recording, use the plugins to enhance the sound.

Edited once, last by KPmole: typo ().

• Using plugins to profile seems pointless. Make the profile, then when recording, use the plugins to enhance the sound.

Not pointless in some cases, IMHO mate.

One example might be if you're using the Slate VMS. You'd employ the ML-1 or ML-2 "flat" mics through the "flat" wedge-style preamp that comes with the system (or the company's new interface that's designed to be flat for mic and preamp-modelling purposes), instantiate and tweak the plugins representing the preamp and mic models you want to emulate and feed the channel/s' output/s (summed to mono, of course) to the Kemper.