Reached a wall with my Kemper.

• Terence I have listened to your clip. I don't think there is much wrong with the raw sound. What is lacking is the processing to give it more heft. I will have a look into it a bit more later on today. Thinking a bit more upon this you really could affect the sound quite considerably sweeping 800khz to find the sound you want. I am not an expert on metal sounds, but a boost at 150khz might also help. Try this in the Studio EQ in the Kemper too.

Also increase the definition in the Amp section and perhaps the Compression as well. Save as a new profile to compare.

I am not a heavy player and there are others here with more knowledge about all things heavy that could help you - perhaps someone here could send you their version of this profile.

• I haven't read all the comments.

Have you done or posted a recording just using the Kemper Main Outs into your soundcard?

Something is horribly wrong with a setting you might have on your Kemper or your soundcard or your recording software.

• Just to say, in general it is ALWAYS recommended to make a backup before system resetting the KPA. If the reset fixes the problem, no one will ever know what the problem was in the first place. With a backup, support can always go in and check to see what was awry.

• Have you tried going straight into your monitor and playing to bypass any issue in the interface etc ? Does it sound the same? Just trying to figure if it’s definitely the kemper or something else in the signal chain

• Have you tried going straight into your monitor and playing to bypass any issue in the interface etc ? Does it sound the same? Just trying to figure if it’s definitely the kemper or something else in the signal chain

He already stated that the monitors are connected directly to the Kemper when practicing.

• Definitely try the reset first.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the latest OS from a freshly-downloaded copy from the site.

Support would likely ask you to do this anyway as a last resort before sending the unit in if all else fails.

Ok, so I did the reset. Sounds exactly the same.

I'm at a loss, will write to technical support and see what they say.

Did you try step two outlined above before deciding you're at a loss as to what to do? It might seem trivial to you, but downloading a fresh copy of the OS and installing it is something support may well ask you to do.

If your firmware is corrupted, the reset will have zero effect. Only the process I highlighted in blue can fix this.

• I can confirm that Direct profiles through a guitar cab sre indistinguishable from the real thing. I did a test recently with my Boogie Mark Five:25 and a pair of identical mesa cabs. I made a direct profile with a really cheap ART DI box and used an RJM PBC as a high quality A/B switcher. I used a DB meter to balance the levels betwee the two rigs. I didn’t check which was which until after I’d changed a few times. They dod sound VERY slightly different but a little EQ tweaking fixed that. However, the funning thing is, I actually preferred the Kemper profile to the real thing before tweaking.
    This is something I have found with other profiles too.

I literally hate Marshalls (other than the old 4 input JMPs etc) to my mind the JCM800 is one of the modt horrible sounding amps I have ever played. However, some of my favourite rock profiles turn out to be JCM800s :-0. To be fair, I actually think I know why this is. marshalls NED to be cranked to hit the sweet spot and come to life. However, the only ti,es I’ve been forced to ise them in the past os either in rehearsal studios or on gigs with backline supplied where I just couldn’t crank them. As a result they sounded thin, tinny, shrill etc etc. The Kemper lets me get the sound and feel of these monsters at any volume I want. Still more Boogie than Marshall but the Kemper is slowly winning me over ;)

That's great info about the direct profiles!

I'm only a fan of the 4 input Marshalls as well, although I have a story about the JCM800. When I was in school, I had a roommate that had one. That thing was horrid sounding, like nails on a chalkboard. It didn't help that he practiced Bon Jovi riffs on infinite repeat through it. Anyway, my Marshall was a '75 4 input 50w that sounded incredible. One day I let him plug into my cabinet ('77 cabinet w/ greenback celestions). It still didn't sound as good as my head, but the differences were far less when he wasn't running through his 4x12 w/ the 70 watt celestion speakers. I find it amusing that the JCM800s have such a reputation for great tone. Back in 'the day' they were regarded as crap compared to the older Marshalls, and the only reason big acts of the 80's and early 90's toured with them was because they were disposable.

To get back on topic...I think the problem with T's profiles is the guitar. In addition to not being a big fan of the JCM800, I'm also not a fan of guitars with high output humbuckers. IMO, the ultimate Les Paul would either have mini-buckers (deluxe) or P90s. Full-sized "vintage" humbuckers are a little bit dark and muddy sounding for my preference, but if they're overwound or really high output they're even worse. Super high output pickups combined with the TJ profile (which tend to lean toward dark and fat sounding) could be a recipe for disaster. I would try tweaking the input of the Kemper to compensate (lower the input gain to counteract your pickups) and make sure your tone on the guitar is full-on...then report back. Hopefully that helps.

Lastly, despite what I've read (many believe the Kemper is guitar dependent) I've found the Kemper profiles to be completely independent of guitar, which would make sense since the guitar used has nothing to do with creating the actual profile other than the refinement and final A/B comparison steps. I can plug my Strat into my 100W Marshall profile, and it sounds like my Strat through my 100W Marshall; not super overdriven and thin due to the Strat's single coils. My LP Deluxe will drive it into distortion much easier and sounds considerably fatter. The same differences can be observed with my other amps and profiles. One of the reasons the Kemper is such a great amp IMO, is that it reacts to the guitars and pedal effects that are used, differently, in the same way the real amp does. You can plug a LP/Strat/Tele into a Line 6 or Amplitube simulation, and they all sound the same.

Edited once, last by KPmole ().

• Whilst I agree with KPmole the main problem with profiles is that they "sample" the amp setting. If that amp setting does not suit the guitar then pretty much nothing you do will compensate for this. Which is why profiling your own amps and settings makes more sense. I have been lucky in finding a number of profiles that suit me. However, they don't necessarily suit all my guitars - Fenders v Gibsons. Also I must say, and I have gotten into trouble for this before, I don't like the sound of an SM57 on it's own and prefer it paired with a ribbon mic, which cuts out a large number of profiles for me. Auditioning profiles has been a huge task and of the 1000's that I have less than 5% are useful to me.

That being said I agree with you about the sound of the Marshall 800 - a horrible, unpleasant sounding brute of an amp. The JTM 45 is much nicer sounding to my ears. I also agree that lower output humbuckers are much nicer to play with. There was a fantastic article in the April Guitar Magazine about setting up your Les Paul together with an analysis of available aftermarket and vintage parts. Although don't have a LP the bit about setting up the humbucker pole pieces proved a revelation. It also goes without saying that the P90 a great pickup, which is why I love my 330L.

• So true silhouette (about amps "sampling" the amp setting). If you overcompensate with the amp settings for an overly bright or dark guitar, it might not work well depending on which one you choose.

You brought up a great point about the guitar too. Lowering the pickups can make a huge difference sometimes.

• I think the problem with T's profiles is the guitar. In addition to not being a big fan of the JCM800, I'm also not a fan of guitars with high output humbuckers. IMO, the ultimate Les Paul would either have mini-buckers (deluxe) or P90s. Full-sized "vintage" humbuckers are a little bit dark and muddy sounding for my preference, but if they're overwound or really high output they're even worse. Super high output pickups combined with the TJ profile (which tend to lean toward dark and fat sounding) could be a recipe for disaster. I would try tweaking the input of the Kemper to compensate (lower the input gain to counteract your pickups) and make sure your tone on the guitar is full-on...

Listen to the sample T posted using his strat. It sounded just as bad.

• So true silhouette (about amps "sampling" the amp setting). If you overcompensate with the amp settings for an overly bright or dark guitar, it might not work well depending on which one you choose.

You brought up a great point about the guitar too. Lowering the pickups can make a huge difference sometimes.

Actually that is only part of the fun. Lower the pickups and raise the pole=pieces to the level the pickup was. You will then have a more focused sound reminiscent of a P90. I have done this with my 335s and love the result.

• Hi there

sounded okay to me, if you crank more the gain maybe you will have more sustain but i don´t have and know this profile

remembered me the Green Day tone...

also have a look at this free mark five:25 profile

GRS All Pack!!!

you may upload it and compare the sound with this awesome samples here

regards,
    Claudio