Reached a wall with my Kemper.

• That is sounding way better than anything I'm getting from my Les Paul to Kemper, as you can hear.

• I agree, something doesn't sound right here. It doesn't help that the file is extremely low in volume when trying to compare it to the clips on the profile makers site. Do you have any clips of this same guitar with your marshall mic'ed?

Don't have a mike unfortunately, hard to even use the amp too much due to where I live. But its sounding fine through the amp, completely normal.

• Which one of the caswell profiles is it?

Cant remember to tell the truth, but I gave it a tweak to try and make it sound better. That's the best I'm getting.

To answer other questions, the spdif volume isn't clipping and there is definitely headroom in the DAW. Not that much difference between SPDIF and Line in, I've tried many times. Output and Input lights seem fine.

Pretty sure there's no clipping happening, I've tried turning the dist sens down in the input and pretty much all the kind suggestions here.

• Ah what the hell. Here is a track I did recently - clean guitar but overdriven solo. the only thing of note is that the piano was played on guitar. The mix is a bit bass heavy! All the guitars are Kemper and cleans played with a Musicman Silhouette and the solo by a 335. Oh and I apologise for the single drum loop - I rather liked it!!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Totally not my type of music, but I cannot sleep and the clock is about 3:00 in the night so this was probably exactly what I needed.
    It's smooth and I cannot hear anything wrong with it at all.
    You got a good tone and playing is good too...

• @Terence T I definitely se why you are not happy with it. It’s certainly nothing like I would expect to hear from mine. In this case there must be an issue with either

A) the guitar

B) the cable(s)

C) the profiler settings

D) the profile itself

E) the Daw

When it comes to trouble shooting something like this it pays to keep and open mond and be totally methodical. I have lost count of the number of times I have though I had tried everything only to find out the solution was something I had already ruled out.

Checking the guitar should be easy.

Does the LP sound right with the real amp but not the profiler. You have already said it does. I would still do some side by side testing again and cross it off the check list (in writing so that you can review the results later as your mind will get wasted pretty quick
    it going through all the possible permutations).

Does another guitar sound right through the profiler and real amp. You have said the Start does. But, once again I would go right back and start at the beginning in a totally methodical fashion.

Next change cables with the real,amp and Kemper. Note results. Check SPIDF cables and record with main outs insead for comparison. Noting outcome at all satages.

I suspect all of these will check out as being OK but, as I mentioned I have been amazed at my own stupidity on many occasions when I rechecked something I already thought had been verified.

The most likely culprits seem to be the Profiler settings or the Daw settings as far as I can see.

Pretty obvious questions, which I’m sure you will have already checked but have you got a global eq accidentally locked in the output section? Are you sending the main out stereo to the SPDIF outs?

You mentioned that the clip you uploaded was something you have tweaked quite a bit. It might also be helpful to upload the profile or share it on Rg Exchange for others to see if they can replicate the muffled sound from your recording in their setups. That would also help rule guitars and cables out of the equation.

Have you tried disabling the Cab section and sending the main out to the FX return of your Marshall which would remove the DAW and interface from the equation?

• Do you have a pedal hooked up and assigned to wah on the KPA?

It's possible that the interpreted value is stuck at a low level. The classic tell-tale resonance peak isn't there, but if this value was set low for a super-smooth, LPF-style wah, it's a possibility.

• Thanks.

Cables are good, I've checked with two. Both strats and LP are producing the same results. Strats sound better, but not great. I'll check on Cubase also, in case th efault is with Reaper but I'm guessing Reaper is fine. Strats and LP definitely sound fine with the amp, even checked them with my old POD HD.

I've recorded main outs as well as SPDIF, sounds pretty much the same. Interface working as normal, seems to be linked u to Reaper no probs. The RME interface and Reaper have been the most stable out of all the interfaces and DAW's that I have used. PC is a few years old, works very well.

Main output is set to Master Stereo in SPDIF. All monitor EQ's at 0.

The tweaks in the clips were relatively minor, just a bit of treble and less bass.

I'll try the Kemper to Marshall in the morning.

• Do you have a pedal hooked up and assigned to wah on the KPA?
    It's possible that the interpreted value is stuck at a low level. The classic tell-tale resonance peak isn't there, but if this value was set low for a super-smooth, LPF-style wah, it's a possibility.

No pedals hooked up to the Kemper...

• Try hooking your monitors directly to stereo output of the Kemper. Bypass everything and see if things improve. If so, your signal chain is at fault.

Thanks for posting the clips and your willingness to troubleshoot.

• Thank you.

I normally practice with the Kemper going directly to monitors, or headphones.

Sounds slightly better than the recorded clips I sent as to be expected. Not by much though. The clips are pretty much what I'm getting all round.

• This is starting to look like there might be an issue with your Kemper.

I would try making a full backup of your Kemper and sending it to support along with the recording of your tone and have them check everything. @ckemper has already commented on this post so might be able to add something else though now that he can check the recordings.

• This is starting to look like there might be an issue with your Kemper.

I would try making a full backup of your Kemper and sending it to support along with the recording of your tone and have them check everything. @ckemper has already commented on this post so might be able to add something else though now that he can check the recordings.

Yeah, that might be the way to go. I'll also contact the retailer I got it from, see what they suggest.

• Could be, Shawn; I see nothing about it on the first page 'though.

EDIT:
    Oh, you mentioned it. I'd have to re-read the whole thread. Not gonna happen right now.

Besides, it's usually (and should be IMHO) our "last-resort" step in troubleshooting. I personally find it a little frustrating when folks default to "reset the unit" as their advice; this doesn't help anyone figure out what is actually wrong.

In this sense this thread has been an "exemplary" effort in the community's case. Good, thorough, logical troubleshooting advice, and only now that we seem to have hit a bit of a wall, are we beginning to suggest resets.