Reached a wall with my Kemper.

• I may have missed it, but two questions:

1) What are you playing your Kemper through? Make and model would be great.
    2) How are you recording it? Again, make and model of your interface would be great here, too.

If I were you, I would reset my Kemper back to factory defaults. Who knows, maybe in all the trouble shooting you might have inadvertently adjusted something that is causing this - perhaps and output level or something, that is overloading whatever you are sending your Kemper output into, might be a possibility.

Double check *everything*. Most likely, the problem is between your guitar and the Kemper, or between the Kemper and however you are monitoring and recording. If you still have problems after a Kemper factory reset, I'd say that definitely leads to the problem being either before or after the Kemper. And maybe both - those are sometimes the hardest problems to solve, when multiple problems exist. Don't discount that.

• I've answered this earlier.
    I'm after quality tone. Once again I'll explain. I plug my guitar my Marshall or a friends Messa, Orange, Vox, I get a good quality tone. I plug into my Kemper, I do not. If you look through this thread I've given details on the profiles used, some members have been kind enough to mail me profiles to try. I've gone through all the suggestions listed here and it hasn't made a difference.

I'm away right now, when I get back I'll try the DI suggestion. But in light I've what I've experienced so far, I think its more probable than not that this isn't going to solve the problem. Mr Kemper has listened to my clips and pretty much said that that is the way a Kemper sounds. I'm inclined to believe him.

My experience so far has indicated that for £1,400 I've been chronically ripped off. Wish that wasn't the case, but that's where I am today.

I am sorry but I cannot stand you constantly considering yourself a victim of a rip off when you know you haven't tried all options yet. Your attitude seems more like the one of a person who wants to give bad credit to a product more than the one of a person who needs an actual solution.

Just take this into consideration:

- The Kemper Profiler can sound exactly like your beloved Marshall and, virtually, any amp you want. Just make a decent profile and you'll see the results.
    - The profiler is a professional device used by studios, producers and musicians all around the world. They all adore the unit. I doubt you have better ears than them.

With that said, please be humble and stop saying that you have been ripped off before trying all the possibilities.

Also, if you are not able to create some DIs, you can use other DIs (internet is full of them) through a public profile so we can do the same and see if your device is wrong.

Edited once, last by Behind ().

• I'm away right now, when I get back I'll try the DI suggestion. But in light I've what I've experienced so far, I think its more probable than not that this isn't going to solve the problem.

Of course it won't solve the problem directly, but it will confirm or eliminate the Kemper as the source of the problem.

• Thank you, but I've done all of that earlier in the thread. Answered the questions also.

RME Fireface UC.

Gibson LP Studio, Fender Strat CP 50's, Fender Strat Highway 1.

• I'm not insulting your beloved Kemper, and if you didn't like my Marshall it wouldn't bother me. We're not kids in a playground. It was wasted money for me, but not for you. Good for you, I'm happy that others aren't having the same difficulties I am. And I wasn't saying I have better ears than anyone.

However all that have commented on my clips, apart from Mr Kemper, say the same. Its not sounding good.

The Kemper may sound exactly like any amp you want for you, for me that hasn't been the case.

Now, unless some of you are rich you know what being a musician is like. You spend all of your money on music, including money you don't have. When I said I felt ripped off, its because I've spent a lot of money on a piece of gear that isn't delivering. Sorry if my experience is annoying for you. But I do think its insecure to want everyone to love something you love, and get annoyed when they don't.

• So on your RME Fireface UC, I'm not personally familiar with it, but that looks like a nice piece of gear.

It is most likely capable of accepting "instrument" or "mic" levels, as well as "line" levels. Have you double checked that whatever ports you are feeding it from your Kemper that they are set to "line" level? If you drive an input expecting instrument levels, it's possible you might be overloading it causing clipping which might explain your results.

Also, how are you monitoring? Are you using headphones plugged into the RME Fireface UC's headphone port? I'm just curious here. What does the Kemper sound like using it's own Headphone Output? Does it sound the same as your recording?

If your Kemper's headphone output sounds decent, but the headphone output of the RME Fireface does not, you might be overloading the RME's inputs with too hot a signal from the Kemper.

I do think, like many others, when you are able and get back to where you can put hands on the Kemper and that interface, if you upload a dry recording of just your guitar as it is reproduced out the Kemper's Direct Output, that would be one very big piece of the puzzle.

• I'm not insulting your beloved Kemper, and if you didn't like my Marshall it wouldn't bother me. We're not kids in a playground. It was wasted money for me, but not for you. Good for you, I'm happy that others aren't having the same difficulties I am. And I wasn't saying I have better ears than anyone.
    However all that have commented on my clips, apart from Mr Kemper, say the same. Its not sounding good.

Many of the people who've said your clips don't sound good have generally meant to imply that something sounds off or wrong, as in there's a problem with your gear. I'm fairly certain most of them weren't implying that the tone just sounds unappealing. In my opinion, it's only money wasted if your gear is functioning properly and you simply don't like the results. As yet, we still don't know if your Kemper is functioning properly, hence the request for DI's.

The Kemper may sound exactly like any amp you want for you, for me that hasn't been the case.

Now, unless some of you are rich you know what being a musician is like. You spend all of your money on music, including money you don't have. When I said I felt ripped off, its because I've spent a lot of money on a piece of gear that isn't delivering. Sorry if my experience is annoying for you. But I do think its insecure to want everyone to love something you love, and get annoyed when they don't.

You absolutely lost the point of my post. First, I'm just trying to help you. Second, it's not your experience what annoys me but your defeatism attitude. You go all drama saying it was a rip-off before checking all the possibilities.

I am not defending the Kemper for the sake of it. I'm just saying that you are criticising something that can do exactly the thing you say it doesn't... And I do that to help you and because I know it does.

Anyway, have you tried to do a DI profile of your Marshall and run it through its poweramp? Have you tried other DIs?

• Personally, I wish someone would delete the whole of this thread. It seems, despite expert advice/suggestions, the OP is content to continue, ad nauseum, this pointless quest of not supplying adequate information in order to allow a satisfactory conclusion to his issues. Subsequently, being hyper critical of a unique unit, which really seems like a case of 'a bad workman blaming his tools'. A UK saying...

I confess, I just wish he'd throw both his Kemper and himself off a cliff....
    My eyes & ears are bleeding from this infinite whining.

• So it is not the Kemper but the fact that you are an average player?

• I consider myself as an average player and I get great results from both the Kemper and my UAD plug ins for many many years now. I realy do not understand.

• Guys lets just give this one more try, if we can
    okay thanks for the answer lets put this in perspective.

1) You did get a good sound on your Strat?
    This makes me suspect that your kemper is not defective
    even if it was keep in mind the mother ship usually sends you a new one (just saying)

2) You Stated that you get a good sound from a friends marshal/vox/mesa
    BUT have not profiled that sound or made any DI's
    But are willing to.

This makes me suspect the LP sound you lack needs the right rig /tweaking and could even turn out to be a profiling issue (needing to get it right thats all)
    Bands From killswitch engage to Duran Duran and 100's of other artist can get CLOSE to that sound they profile which is why they use it professionally

So the kemper is not "crap" i am not saying that you cant tweak for crap, but i suspect thats the loop hole here AT THIS STAGE.
    CK thinks its not defective, unless its the beer i read that you did get a good sound on your strat.

I am going to send you a package IN THE MEAN TIME,(until you do the DI thing) for your LP, i still dont know what sound your after still so i am only going on the Friedman amp, il get some mesa's/vox and marshal sounds over also to try.

But dont waste any more time, DI the marshal/vox/mesa sound YOU like, you will get close to 95% (i say 99) JUST LIKE 100's of other artists who professionally use the toaster. I dont think your kemper is defective at this stage.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 2 times, last by ashtweth ().