Kemper Distortion Stomps

• @Vinny Yes, but comparing a KPA touring rig with a valve amp driven touring rig with pedals is somehow not productive.

You could replace the valve amp with the KPA and use the pedals with it.

But I am with you: something could happen with the ODs. For me they sound too „harsh“ sometimes but I have to admit that I never spent much time with them since my profiles work quite well without extra OD stomps most of the time - so maybe its me.

Agree they sound to harsh but that's the problem with digital distortion. O well that will be solved eventually.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Agree they sound to harsh but that's the problem with digital distortion. O well that will be solved eventually.

It just seems like, if they really wanted, they could get the stomps as close as the amps. I don't blame them for it not being top of the list, but it'd be nice.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• It just seems like, if they really wanted, they could get the stomps as close as the amps. I don't blame them for it not being top of the list, but it'd be nice.

Yep, for me they all sound very harsh and fuzzy, not in a bad way - this means you can get some great pedal tones out of it, but they do not recreate the whole available variety of „OD / DS“-sounds. At least not for me. What will be interesting will be how to keep the backwards-compatibility of the profiles with new ODs. But probably they just add new „types“ and keep the old ones.

What I also would like to see would be an easier way to transfer / browse through presets on the computer. For the start, instead of an editor, giving RigManager the option to handle FXs as well would be great to share them online.

As much as the concept of profiling and creating generic „types“ of FX works until now, it would be great to have iconic pedals as an own „type“ with the actual knobs they have in reality. Of course it‘s great to have the possibility to recreate all sounds with a very wide parametrization and one „type“ of FX, but it makes it really hard to get to the sound you are searching.

For me, the Wah FX for example is very difficult to use since the parameters are this flexible, that I do not know where to start. I downloaded working presets and change them a little, so this works.

But having additional types of FX which have a limited and known parameter range would help to get to a fitting result faster. (they are doing this somehow already, but not on point for me).

• Anybody hear any news on this? I’d really love good overdrive stomps from Kemper finally. Helix and Axe Fx have usable, good sounding ones - don’t know why this hasn’t been fixed yet. Would especially love a good Timmy, KOT etc

Chris Spencer

Kemper profiles of boutique and vintage amps will be available soon! Some of my gear:

Hardware/Software -

Adam monitoring, Pro Tools HDX 16x16, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, BAE 1073 mic pres, Cascade Fathead Ribbon, SM57, various pedals

Guitars -

Duesenberg 49er, Fano JM6, Gretsch Tennesse Rose (w/TV Jones Classics), Nash Tele, American Strat (w/Lollars)

• Anybody hear any news on this? I’d really love good overdrive stomps from Kemper finally. Helix and Axe Fx have usable, good sounding ones - don’t know why this hasn’t been fixed yet. Would especially love a good Timmy, KOT etc

With the Stage, editor, OS updates and Kabinet all in development at the same time I doubt they’ve had time to mess with it at all.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• And a acoustic simulation too. Overhaul of the dist stomps, expect nothing but a longer wait. At least a year and then I'm optimistic.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau