Kemper Distortion Stomps

• I really feel the Kemper distortion stomps are the Achilles heel of the Kemper. I would love to be able to get rid of my external pedals and just use the Kemper.
    I use an ep booster, fuzz pedals (octafuzz, velvet fuzz), cusack screamer, sickas overdrive, etc. and cannot find anything comparable in the Kemper. They have a variety of boost pedals but nothing really exceptional in the tubescreamer, klon, fuzz, tonebender, and metal categories. Kemper is upgrading with reverbs which is great but we really, really need an overhaul of the distortion stomps. Thanks. K

• Well they've only just released the spring verb update. I'm sure they'll get around to improving the distortion pedal collection in due course though as others have requested improvements there too, but just to be sure you should really post requests in the, well, you know... requests forum.

• They are coming.....

This is the second time I’ve seen this mentioned, but I have not seen where people are getting this. Is there a direct quote from CK that missed?

I’m usually pretty happy with the distortion stomps, but I only use them to push a profile a little bit. I get the best results by starting with a distorted profile to begin with. A little push with the Green Scream stomp works well, but too much doesn’t sound great.

I mainly want them to nail the Fuzz Face tones, but again if I want fuzz I usually just find a fuzzy profile. Plenty to choose from.

• When I got my Kemper several years ago, the guy who I bought it used from asked what my reservations were. I told him that I wanted to wait until the Kemper 2 came out because it would be more of a tried and true product (these were the early days).

However, his response was that CK invented the Virus synth, which took years and years for another version to come out. Instead, CK’s approach was to provide constant updates and improvements and really support the community. I had moved over from the Boss and Line 6 products to the Kemper, so this was kind of a foreign concept.

But that guy was totally right and these updated reverbs prove it. I strongly believe CK will be updating the distortions next - it’s the most logical conclusion based on the past. However, in the meantime, I have also been pretty satisfied by just using the morphing pedal to add gain (don’t hate on me, people... it works for me).

• Several combinations of dist/boost/bit/eq etc, as well as amp module settings, and yes applying morph arcs for on the fly variations can achieve great results. The tones are there.

But hell yes, Kemper and his team are capable of creating something that replicates all of those specific boxes (which I also love) plus more, Sov, Zen, KOT, Blues Driver, etc.

Beyond that, and maybe more importantly, his creativity could result in something that truly adds to the conversation, so to speak. Something that, beyond distortion/drive/boost parameters incorporates EQ, Compression and even a simple filter section for, for example, cocked wah—all in to one master stomp that only requires one slot (and one preset for each amazing variation).

I doubt it’ll happen fast, but yes it would add a lot to the inspirational process of discovery part of the Kemper experience (and ease of use in terms of nailing specific sounds).

Fingers crossed.

• Why worry about amp effects when you can use pedals?

I mean, there are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many versions of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz available that it seems easier to spend $100 on your pedal of choice and let Kemper spend the R&D time on the modulation and time based effects that can't be profiled.

FWIW, I have most (all?) of the distortion stomps that Kemper has included, and the Kemper versions are really good.

• I use overdrive stomp for change the color in the same patch , but the are so many different profiles with different taste and color of gain that I don't think that most of the people need more distortion stomps in the kemper.

Let the R&D Kemper people work in another more important think.

• I use overdrive stomp for change the color in the same patch , but the are so many different profiles with different taste and color of gain that I don't think that most of the people need more distortion stomps in the kemper.

Let the R&D Kemper people work in another more important think.

i think men will disagree. There are missing such as Klon, KOT, OCD, Transparent, different treble boost, etc. Most touring players use this stomps. I hope that the new overdrive stomps will be the next project after verbs.

• why use pedels when you can have amp gain,,,?????

you are right...somehow... but on the other hand many guitarist use pedals to further sculpture their sound. Be it John Mayer and his Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, scott henderson with SD9 and boosters, zakk wylde with his signature pedal or think of Fender Landau Hot Rod Deville amp, that is a pedal platform monster to fullfill the needs of his master.

Pedals just add a different flavour to an amp (profile). And some pedals became characteristic for genres like Boss HM2 - swedish death metal or the (more recent) precision drive is connected to djent.

• Vinny They are a lot of profile with Klon, OCD and other boost.

You can profile your amp with one particular OD , boost or distortion and that is you have your sound, but you can profile right now a modulation and time based effects.

Let the R&D Kemper people work in another more important think

• Maybe there are more important things to worry about, maybe not. Other than Dumble players using zero pre-amp effects (and blues playes with nothing but dimed Fenders), most iconic tones throughout guitar history were created using personal combinations of boosts, drives, fuzzes etc. SRV, EJ, DG, etc etc. I do agree, for all intents and purposes, the tones are mostly already in the box. But the process of experimentation and tone sculpting, outside of profiling with analog pedals, would be elevated and improved with a deeper, easier palette of internal tools. And Kemper has the vision to create something that doesn’t simply mimic, but actually adds to the discussion. I’d love that.

• I've found that pairing the OD pedals with an EQ (and tweaking the mix parameter) can yield some great results. Yeah, it takes a little more work and creativity on our end but the payoff is worth it. I agree that the OD pedals need an upgrade and have faith that Kemper will eventually get around to addressing the issue.

• I do not use lots of OD pedals in the KPA. If I need another gain structure, I search for another profile which fits better.

BTW: I think I saw a Q&A session with CK where he mentioned that they will work on the ODs but I am not sure if I mix something?

Look at the timeline: RigManager, Delays, Reverbs, OD (?), Editor (?), KPA2 / New Product (?), ...

I think they focus on updates of the audible stuff and performance of the main unit since this is the most important thing (it has to sound well!).

I am sure that, as soon as they did the overhaul of the basic functions, they will come up with the cherry on the pie.

• you are right...somehow... but on the other hand many guitarist use pedals to further sculpture their sound. Be it John Mayer and his Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, scott henderson with SD9 and boosters, zakk wylde with his signature pedal or think of Fender Landau Hot Rod Deville amp, that is a pedal platform monster to fullfill the needs of his master.
    Pedals just add a different flavour to an amp (profile). And some pedals became characteristic for genres like Boss HM2 - swedish death metal or the (more recent) precision drive is connected to djent.

agreed,100%..,but now,, when I need another "flavor" "boost" etc,, which,,, Yes,, I need,,( and I do country),,,,I just modify the base profile and save it,,or , search the thousands of free and commercial profiles and get what I need,or,, make my own,,,,with borrowed pedals,,etc,,
    If I had a Dollar,,,,, for every pedal I bought,, thinking "this is the one",,and then two months later, sold it on ebay for a 1/4 of its price,,,,,, I would be a VERY wealthy man,,,I have 2, I rotate now,,and with the Headrush as my front end/pedal board,into the Kemper,,,,I am never going to buy another "dist" pedal,, ever,,
    The Klon is always on,,,,goin on 5 years as a happy Kemper,,,the amps are dusty,,

• 1. Compact Kemper floor - no one knows if this even happen. if yes, will not happen soon
    2. Editor - CK say they are looking at this. probably not release soon. But there is the ToastMe and has good reviews and is also free.
    3. Better overdrive pedals - This!

The classic pedal like KOT are hard to find or very expensive. You can change the rig for flavor amp overdrive but this is to much rigs to complicated.
    Kemper can do more with the OD stomps and make them amazing. Yes you can profile amp with pedal but you cannot change the pedal parameter inside the profile.
    Men want all in one unit. OD stomp are the big missing part of this. and the OD stomp is more practical use than the big verbs. OD pedals are important for the tone. look for touring player who dont use the stomp. you will not find many who dont.

• @Vinny Yes, but comparing a KPA touring rig with a valve amp driven touring rig with pedals is somehow not productive.

You could replace the valve amp with the KPA and use the pedals with it.

But I am with you: something could happen with the ODs. For me they sound too „harsh“ sometimes but I have to admit that I never spent much time with them since my profiles work quite well without extra OD stomps most of the time - so maybe its me.

• Same here. Didn't use stomps through any high-gain valve amp I had, I'm not about to start now. I'd be all for better ODs, distortions, especially a real good fuzz, but it's not such a bit deal to me.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.