What strings do you use?

• Extra D would make sense to me for classical strings, because that's usually the first to go. I haven't broken a steel string D on electric or acoustic in the 40 years I've been trying.

The DR Veritas electrics come with extra E, B, G and the acoustics come with extra E, B.

• I've used Elixir strings for about 14yrs, and on and off before that time. I've got acid fingers (which was a lot worse when I was in my late teens and throughout my 20's). They've allowed me to play guitar with much less frustration, and they last me for many many months (especially if my guitar doesn't have to travel). An acoustic set will last me for more than a year. Well worth it for me. I feel like Elixir strings saved my guitar playing "career".

• Yes, cost matters, however, if strings end up lasting as long as the Elixir strings did for me they are much cheaper in the end. So if the strings last 5 times as long, in my book it's okay for them to cost 5 times as much -- I still have the advantage of not having to change my strings all the time.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered some (regular) DR strings, apparently they are somewhat corrosion proof too? and see where that gets me. I haven't tried a lot of strings in general, just the usual Ernie Ball and D'Addario suspects, before I settled on the Elixir ones. The Black Beauty could be another option as could the GHS Boomers, although they seem a little harder to find in my area. The Ernie Ball Paradigm are supposed to be longer lasting, but I'm not quite convinced that is much more that hype and a hefty price tag ;)

Well, I have a few years of Elixir-experience on my guitars, however, I have no clue what one would consider "ordinary" fretwear -- I use Elixirs exclusively so I have no comparison available to me :D After a year of playing one guitar there are some quite visible dents, sooo...? And trying a different set of strings when the old ones come of doesn't really cost me, telling whether there is a difference to before will be challenging (= nigh impossibe) though, I imagine :P

Well, I tried the DR strings and after ... 3 days maybe? ... that's a no from me. They are already slightly rusty even though I washed my hands and cleaned the strings regularly. Fast-Fret makes them kinda acceptable but I don't like the feeling too much. What they did show me was that I seem to like mixed gauges, 9-46 in this case. Anyway... coated Ernie Balls (not the Paradigm but the "regular" coated ones) are next, let's see if they are any better for me :P

• In the days I thought I could here a big difference between two 12AX7's, between guitarcables, between a lot of bla bla bla, I used Ernie Ball Super Slinky's exclusively. Now I use one of the cheapest strings available: from supermarket Lidl: 5 sets for € 5,99. Each set contains an extra D. A few years back I had the same discussion on another forum which resulted in a small test: Dean Markley strings versus Lidl strings - both on the same guitar, a fresh and new set of strings.
    You can listen to it on Soundcloud. 0.00 - 1.00 = Brand A; 1.11 - 2.05 = Brand B. Can you tell which one is which?
    Check:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm guessing "B" is the Markley.

• Well, I tried the DR strings and after ... 3 days maybe? ... that's a no from me. They are already slightly rusty even though I washed my hands and cleaned the strings regularly. Fast-Fret makes them kinda acceptable but I don't like the feeling too much. What they did show me was that I seem to like mixed gauges, 9-46 in this case. Anyway... coated Ernie Balls (not the Paradigm but the "regular" coated ones) are next, let's see if they are any better for me :P

Very nice, that you are testing for us :thumbup:
    Please also share your experience with the coated Ernie Balls and report, how well they are doing.

I remember testing Dunlop strings (a few years back) and they were rusty after a few minutes I have touched them with cleaned and dry hands ! Not going slowly black first, but directly rusty!

• Maybe I play like a monkey but I break every string from low to top if I don't change them regularly enough.
    And I use 10-52. Otherwise the low rhythm strings would hold up even worse.
    I mean I broke a G and a low E yesterday. But they have been on that guitar for like 3 weeks, have seen 3 or 4 stages and have been played for 20hours or more.
    I sometimes order single extra sings. Usually low E, high E, B and G. As those are the ones that break the most often.

• Maybe I play like a monkey but I break every string from low to top if I don't change them regularly enough.
    And I use 10-52. Otherwise the low rhythm strings would hold up even worse.
    I mean I broke a G and a low E yesterday. But they have been on that guitar for like 3 weeks, have seen 3 or 4 stages and have been played for 20hours or more.
    I sometimes order single extra sings. Usually low E, high E, B and G. As those are the ones that break the most often.

You can play like a monkey , but maybe scratch the peanut butter. :D

I have probably broken 3-4 (maybe) strings in the past decade. I could not tell you how many hours i have on some of my strings. I don't have great technique, I don't think so at all. I am meticulous about removing saddle burrs, but thats it. I pick pretty hard, but don't put much stress when strumming. I dunno what it is. I used to break strings weekly. If not more. It was infuriating. I hate to say, but tune-o-matics are the devil in this regard.

How do you hold the pick? Thumbpad to fingerpad, or thumbpad to first knuckle...ish?

Edit: if you mean that you think you'd break even more if they were looser, I doubt that very much. Tension is your killer here. That said, I run 14-73 on a 27.7" scale, so I am no stranger to tension.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I use Elixir optiweb light 10-46.
    I like the sound and more I like that I have to change strings less often. ;)

I can hardly remember the last time I broke a string while playing.
    Usually only if I have chosen the wrong direction at the cordless screwdriver or after changing strings when stretching.

• Well, I tried the DR strings and after ... 3 days maybe? ... that's a no from me. They are already slightly rusty even though I washed my hands and cleaned the strings regularly. Fast-Fret makes them kinda acceptable but I don't like the feeling too much. What they did show me was that I seem to like mixed gauges, 9-46 in this case. Anyway... coated Ernie Balls (not the Paradigm but the "regular" coated ones) are next, let's see if they are any better for me :P

Sounds to me like you got an old pack of strings. Which set and gauge did you try? They have a few quite different sets.

• Acoustics need heavier strings and 12s are even light for some folks, but I always struggle a bit with my two acoustics when I bend one step. Actually, one guitar, a Manson, bends better with 12s than the Guild with 11s. In any case, I bend notes less often than when I play electric, like many other players, I gather. But whenever I play for an hour any of the two acoustics and switch to an electric with 10s, my fingers feel exercised but are grateful I have switched to a less demanding territory!

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• A few years ago I tried some 13's on a regular guitar, concert pitch....the neck did feel a little "tense" :), but when I switched back to 10@s funnily enough bending strings was a doddle!

WHHHHHAAAATTT? My fingers hurt from just thinking about that!
    A few years ago I tried some 13's on a regular guitar, concert pitch....the neck did feel a little "tense" :), but when I switched back to 10@s funnily enough bending strings was a doddle!

Haha, I thought it would be a little much, but it's not for me, I love it. Still have great low action and the tone is great (though 73 is a little thick and is starting to hurt the tone a little. I'd rather run a 68, but I love the tension so much in drop tuning. It's not great for bends, but baritone are pretty junk at that anyway. Big tight strings, long scale and low output pickups = tone nirvana for me

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.