What strings do you use?

• I've used Elixir strings for about 14yrs, and on and off before that time. I've got acid fingers (which was a lot worse when I was in my late teens and throughout my 20's). They've allowed me to play guitar with much less frustration, and they last me for many many months (especially if my guitar doesn't have to travel). An acoustic set will last me for more than a year. Well worth it for me. I feel like Elixir strings saved my guitar playing "career".

Same. Before I switched to nanowebs the G-string would get rusty and black in a day.

• Well, I tried the DR strings and after ... 3 days maybe? ... that's a no from me. They are already slightly rusty even though I washed my hands and cleaned the strings regularly. Fast-Fret makes them kinda acceptable but I don't like the feeling too much. What they did show me was that I seem to like mixed gauges, 9-46 in this case. Anyway... coated Ernie Balls (not the Paradigm but the "regular" coated ones) are next, let's see if they are any better for me :P

Just a quick update: the coated Ernie Balls lasted for about 3 days as well before the higher strings went black and I wanted to change them again. I'm back to Elixirs and it seems my frets will have to live with the slightly higher wear.

• I`ve been using DR for 22 years now, been on their artist roster for three years at the end of October. Specifically I use either Black Beauties or Highbeams but I think I`m going to throw a set of Veritas on a guitar and see how I like those.

I used Dean Markley Blue Steel before I was introduced to DR and I liked them enough but when I got to GIT the salty Los Angeles air and my acidic perspiration turned them to barbed wire in just a few days. I can`t say it was a failure exclusive to those strings, maybe I just learned to wipe my guitar down when I switched to DR. But I have enjoyed my DR strings for a very long time, I`ve only broken maybe four in the 22 years I`ve been using them and the people in the company treat me like family.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• Been using the DR SAL-10 Alexi Laiho 10-56 signature set tuned to drop C for a couple of years now, they just work perfectly for me. And they actually never rust or turn dark, although I perspire a lot. Plus my 'office' is in the basement, so humidity is a thing there. I can keep them on for months... And not a single string snapping. Recently put Dunlop 10-52 on my other guitar (D standard). So far, they feel quite alike and work for me, too. Mind that the set costs half the price of the DR signature set. I never tried any other DRs to be honest. But what never worked for me was Ernie Ball's. I can't explain why, I wouldn't expect the quality of Ernie Ball's to be lower, it's just a matter of the right feeling I guess. Broke a few strings with EB though...

• Used D'Addario 10-46 for years then earlier this year tried Elixir Optiweb. Sounded the same but unbelievable life, no rusting after four months. Would change them but they still sound great. It's an endurance test now...

• For tracking/recording; the Elixir optiweb strings do seem to offer a bit more "bite". In comparison, the Nanoweb sounds rounder and feel smoother to play. I'm in the transition stage right now, moving over to optiweb from nanoweb strings in the last year.

• Just a quick update: the coated Ernie Balls lasted for about 3 days as well before the higher strings went black and I wanted to change them again

man, what a pain :o

I'm not a pro but my hands do never sweat and I barely have to change strings every 6 months , and they are still shiny as new when I put new ones ( classic EB slinky ).

• Just ordered a set of what many of the early guy's used, or the equivalent to the old Fender 150TR:
    This is also known as the Hendrix gauge:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/…10-38-full-set-15204.html

I went with the GHS Boomer 10-38 set:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/…r-strings-10-38-4993.html

Other than that -
    Ernie Ball 10-46 for Les Paul and early strat in E flat.
    Ernie Ball 9-42 on modern strat and tele in E std.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Have you tried the D'Addario NYXLs, MPB? They're pricey too and I wouldn't have mentioned them had you not shown that you're prepared to "bite the bullet".

They apparently retain brightness very-well and last ages.

Personally I used D'Addario XL110 and the equivalent for bass guitar as well... since the '80s, but a couple o' years ago switched to Slinky just to see what I was missing out on. Not that much, apparently. I was attracted by the price, but I found they slipped out from under my fingers more easily than the D'Addarios. May well switch back, even 'though they're twice the price (but still "cheap" compared to the NYs and other "prestige models").

I used Fender 250Ln not expensive and were been perfect (for me)
    I heard and read all possible comments about Elixir. It's the best BUT... blabla...why "but" ?!

So, I try NYXL 009-042 since 2 days :P Wait and see...

• Hey, as long as you can afford them, I think you'll love 'em, mate.

Hopefully you're a 10s user and took my "advice" and went to 9s for the NYXLs 'cause they feel stiffer. If not, you might have been better off buying 8s.

i'm used to play to 9-42. I'll try 8-38 one day why not.
    I think it's not good to learn and to change tension because the brain keep memories of force, gesture, touch and sensitivity of our play. So I don't change tension. It's personal, as the time we change strings, picks used.
    I try to play naturally without effort with just listen myself. very difficult (for me of course)

• DR Pure Blues in the key of 10

They've been my brother's favourites for some years now, SJ.

He reckons nothing makes his vintage LP sound so-good.

i'm used to play to 9-42. I'll try 8-38 one day why not.I think it's not good to learn and to change tension because the brain keep memories of force, gesture, touch and sensitivity of our play. So I don't change tension. It's personal, as the time we change strings, picks used.
    I try to play naturally without effort with just listen myself. very difficult (for me of course)

That's my whole point, bro'.

The tension of the NYs feels noticeably-higher, hence the lower-gauge recommendation.

• That's my whole point, bro'.
    The tension of the NYs feels noticeably-higher, hence the lower-gauge recommendation.

You're right. I did not find a gauge difference with Fender 205L. but... I verified, the vibrato is set at ~1.5 tons and there is ~ 3 mm gap at rear of bridge and I did'nt touch it yet...
    so I like NYXL... it's perfect...

• Well I learned my lesson. Never again will I try Elixir strings on my Ibanez floating trem. :D:D They just slipped out the whole time :wacko:

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Well I learned my lesson. Never again will I try Elixir strings on my Ibanez floating trem. :D:D They just slipped out the whole time :wacko:

Interesting.

I don't have this problem with my Edge Pro equipped Jem 555 or my PRS Torero. Were there any particular strings that were giving you trouble?

• Dean Markley Blue Steel 10 to 46. Started using them many years ago and have tried other types but always go back. Finding they are harder to get though so buy them in bulk when I can.

Cheers,

jayson