better transpose

• My guitar is currently tuned in 'B'. If I set the pitch to 4 for example, the transpose effect sounds like the Digitech Whammy :cursing: . Am I the only one having this?
    If so, an upgrade would be highly appreciated. Would also be awesome if you could transpose per string. I found a weird tuning that I like.

• Not sure how you would do individual string transposition without a Hex pickup on your guitar.

Yeah, I don't see this really being a feature anytime soon...

I like the Transpose feature, but I wish it worked a little better as well. It sounds great, better than any similar effect I've tried, but I can't go more than 2-3 semitones in either direction before it starts to sound very processed. It's not really a bad thing...but it's pretty noticeable with anything 2 steps or more. Then there's the lag. I can see using it for bar band cover stuff, but anything else, I think it's still worth bring another guitar or two to the show. It is cool though...

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Yeah. I called Kemper. For a transpose feature this is the best you can get at the moment. There is also an option under soft knob one that my change the sound for the better.
    The tried to transpose individual strings, but it wasn’t possible.

• Yeah. I called Kemper. For a transpose feature this is the best you can get at the moment. There is also an option under soft knob one that my change the sound for the better.

The "panorama" setting, is that what you're talking about?

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I'm a constant user of Custom Scales in the Transpose effect.

CK has done a marvelous job HOWEVER, I wish for 2 very important/urgent things.

1) GUI - CK please change the harmony notes to their actual musical note names instead of steps. It would make programming a breeze, at the moment it's a MUCH slower & cumbersome process. Everyone would benefit immediately from this simple GUI change.

2) I know the transpose effect is made up of delays etc but there is still a need to make it track far faster and hopefully more natural sounding as the glitch is still unpleasant. I appreciate some people are requesting it to transpose 4 - 5 semitones perfectly which is an enormous ask. I'm requesting faster tracking and more natural sounding harmony notes when using the custom scales programming/capability.

@Phantom which option are you talking about? The only thing I see at soft knob 1 is the panorama feature, which appears to just be a panning knob.

Thanks. :)

• In my experience (I use transpose a lot) going up always sounds a lot worse than going down, going up you get a very electronic sound to it rather than it being natural sounding.

However going down a few semi-tones I don't feel like I have the same issue, the profile you are using will make a huge difference on how much of that computerized effect you will hear. I mostly use this on high gain profiles and don't have a problem with the way it sounds because i only drop down.

With regards to the individual string tuning, i think it would be possible but the problem faced is you only have one signal going in to the unit so it would have to identify each string and the change them individually that way, this would take a substantial amount of processing power and would just lead to a delay in your playing like you hear with transpose.

All in all, i find transpose to be useful as i only really drop down a tone! :D

• I've had the same experience, I can go up maybe a half-step before it gets all Star Trek on me, past that it's a bit much. Would actually be a cool effect, it still sounds good, but it starts to sound very different 3 or 4 semitones into it.

But tuning down is really impressive, at first I couldn't believe how accurately it captured that raunch and growl that you usually only get from putting on big string and tuning down. Pretty impressive.

However, my main guitar is a baritone, so I could actually get more use out of it the other way around. Bb is low enough already. :D

• I've had the same experience, I can go up maybe a half-step before it gets all Star Trek on me, past that it's a bit much. Would actually be a cool effect, it still sounds good, but it starts to sound very different 3 or 4 semitones into it.
    But tuning down is really impressive, at first I couldn't believe how accurately it captured that raunch and growl that you usually only get from putting on big string and tuning down. Pretty impressive.

However, my main guitar is a baritone, so I could actually get more use out of it the other way around. Bb is low enough already. :D

Yeah i recently put a slightly heavier set of strings on my main guitar and they seem to handle standard tuning and can go down to D standard or drop C without any issue so i don't need to go down using transpose as much.

I do however run my KPA through a Line 6 FH1500 and the other guitarist bought his Variax to a rehearsal to use the acoustic on it, and that sounded great when you used the in built de-tuning. Obviously it has the advantage of having piezo saddles on the bridge so it makes it easier for the FH1500 to do its job but it works really well!

• Playing live, I use the transpose effect for 3 songs and it is really not bad in tone considering what you are achieving. Of course I would like faster tracking, as clean sounds are quite difficult to play when the transient is so clear.

One question I have is does the smooth chords introduce any further latency?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Playing live, I use the transpose effect for 3 songs and it is really not bad in tone considering what you are achieving. Of course I would like faster tracking, as clean sounds are quite difficult to play when the transient is so clear.

One question I have is does the smooth chords introduce any further latency?

I think with a little tweaking of the EQ you could take some of the harshness out of that "robotic" sound out, ive not really used it with a clean tone so i couldn't really comment.

I have played around with the smooth chords parameter and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on the latency? I'd imagine it does add some latency as your adding something else for the processor to do but if it did , it wasn't noticeable.

• I think with a little tweaking of the EQ you could take some of the harshness out of that "robotic" sound out, ive not really used it with a clean tone so i couldn't really comment.
    I have played around with the smooth chords parameter and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on the latency? I'd imagine it does add some latency as your adding something else for the processor to do but if it did , it wasn't noticeable.

There is no problem with the tone on the clean sound. It is just that the delay is more apparent because you clearly hear the pick of each note.

Karl

• There is no problem with the tone on the clean sound. It is just that the delay is more apparent because you clearly hear the pick of each note.

Right okay that makes sense, when i'm using transpose with a high gain tone i am usually running delay and a reverb pretty heavy as its mostly 80's hair metal which will mask a fair amount of that latency. I could tell you that there was latency there, but it doesn't make any difference on my timing or feel.

• If you practice at low volume level you hear the transposed signal and your string sounds. That is why someone means it sounds bad.

If practice at loud level , it disappears.
    Even if you practice with headphones. You can check how cool the transpose fx is when you record. You hear only the transposed signal and there is no timeshift or lag.

Dont care about panorama.

• I'm using it in a gig situation with in-ears, so not hearing the real guitar. Mostly it is high gain and solos with delay, so just as MOCMunkeh describes. You get used to the latency in those cases, but a few exposed clean sections are always testy when trying to stay in time!

Karl

• Just curious if anyone has ever played either a pedal or any guitar product with a transpose feature that does so with less delay or more naturally than what the Kemper does. I haven't, and find the options to affect the response more accommodating than other devices I've used. I'm thinking I could do this feature in my old TC elec G-system and Line 6 pod, however, every device than can transpose that I've ever used, including the two I mentioned had similar delay issues. Any device that does any pitch shifting, even just blending a second voice to the original, always seems to have an inherent delay on the shifted voice, including my Eventide H9. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast? Or, if a significant improvement would require way too much processing power beyond what any multi-effect unit would be able to dedicate? It would be cool, if such a transpose feature could track virtually instantaneous, I've just never experienced it myself. But given that a full 100% transpose is a feature that I've at most played around with a few times because of the same inherent limitations, I'm curious if there are products out there that actually do this noticeably better?

• FWIW I am using the Transpose stomp on bass guitar in our set in a few songs and it’s working great.

Either down 1/2 step or a whole step, I can’t complain about the tracking or latency at all.

I did find that it sounds best with the Transpose in the first slot, before any other effects if any.
    That way I’m chorusing or distorting the new pitch, as though I’ve returned, rather than pitch shifting the chorus etc.

• FWIW I am using the Transpose stomp on bass guitar in our set in a few songs and it’s working great.

Either down 1/2 step or a whole step, I can’t complain about the tracking or latency at all.

I did find that it sounds best with the Transpose in the first slot, before any other effects if any.
    That way I’m chorusing or distorting the new pitch, as though I’ve returned, rather than pitch shifting the chorus etc.

Yeah, it really shines going down, that's for sure. But I was just tracking a song with the transpose up +2, and I didn't notice any issues at all. I'm sure there's a tiny bit of latency, but I think the @Eltzejupp is right, that what throws people off is hearing their strings, which causes a feeling of...discomfort. I didn't have my monitors turned up that loud, and the strings were very disconcerting, like my playing was off because part of my brain "knew" I was playing the wrong chords, and I think my playing suffered as a result. Later I decided to try messing around with Transpose with closed-back headphones, and it sounded really good.

So, when you put in in a stomp, it goes first, do you happen to know where it is placed when you modify it under the "Rig" section?