What is the advantage (if any) of using spidf instead of the xlr outs?

• The advantage you gain is routing. With S/PDIF or USB Audio you have the option of reamping direct from your DAW without doing a bunch of rewiring and also you get to play through the KPA while being able to record both the wet and dry tracks at the same time (provided you plug your guitar into the interface and send it's signal through to the KPA).

Then on top of all that yes you should in theory get even lower latency as you're removing a stage of DA/AD and of course there'll be slightly less noise introduced through an all digital pathway, than using the XLR/Jack outs (but it'll be very subtle, you might notice it if you're layering up a bunch of tracks and have golden ears).

• The AD/DA converters on the kemper are pretty top notch. IF your sound card has crappy converters, then you will probably get a better sound going straight digitally in, you will have to lock your DAW to the kempers signal. IF you have a good converter and possibly a good mic or instrument pre, you may even get a better sound running through this gear then out digitally, if your gear does in fact improve the signal...

• Well,

I'm using the Eleven Rack as my interface, and a vin tech 1073 and Distressor as my pre and comp.

Thoughts on which might be the better way...

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to try it, as I have to return the kemper to it's rightful owner...for a while... :(

Thoughts?

thanks!

• Then on top of all that yes you should in theory get even lower latency as you're removing a stage of DA/AD and of course there'll be slightly less noise introduced through an all digital pathway, than using the XLR/Jack outs (but it'll be very subtle, you might notice it if you're layering up a bunch of tracks and have golden ears).

The KPA's analog Master Outputs are delayed 15 samples with respect to its S/PDIF out on my box. A good reason not to monitor both at the same time.

-djh