Considering a Kemper, question on knobs and settings

• Hey gang,

I'm edging ever closer to purchasing a Kemper, but I have a fairly basic question I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. If I have the actual amp settings for a particular tone I am looking to emulate, for instance Paul Gilbert's Laney GH100L amp settings, and then I purchase a pack of Kemper profiles, say the ChopTones or JTM Profiles of the Laney GH100L, how would I mimic the actual amp settings once I call up a profile? Hopefully this is not a completely moronic question. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
    Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• To be 100% authentic, the amp would have had to be profiled with the Paul Gilbert settings. Any commercial profilers with a Laney GH100L (or, in fact, anyone with the amp and the ability to profile) may be willing to make a set of profiles at your request. I’d ask around.

Tweaking may or may not get you close enough.

• sambrox,

Thanks. I was trying to understand if people/companies typically profiled with a "every param set to the middle" approach to the EQ/Presence/Whatever so that you can tweak to taste or whatever, but it makes sense that this would be less than optimal. I appreciate the response.

Regs,
    Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• The tone controls in the Kemper have no way to accurately mimic the behaviour of tone controls on the multitude of amplifiers.

So the best way, as already suggested, is to set the amp the way you like it and profile like that.

• Hey guys.. I’m new.
    How do I change my names on my patch’s? Are there any videos I can watch?
    Thanks.

Welcome. Aside from using Rig Manager, this is a great way.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks very much. What I mean is, how do I save the new name. For example, I can only see the small name. Only like a group of 5 patch’s...
    I can’t save 1-5 only as one big group... I hope this makes some kind of sense...

• Welcome @SliderJeff !! As @sambrox stated, a profile of an amp is just a snapshot of how the person profiling his amp liked the tone and settings. Those settings are adjustable to different degrees but has nothing to do with the actual adjustments of the real amp with the treble, bass, etc. of the KPA. Hope that makes some sense, but doesn't mean you can't get a great tone that you like from something that didn't quite fit to start. ?( You'll see soon enough.

• Hey gang,

I'm edging ever closer to purchasing a Kemper, but I have a fairly basic question I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. If I have the actual amp settings for a particular tone I am looking to emulate, for instance Paul Gilbert's Laney GH100L amp settings, and then I purchase a pack of Kemper profiles, say the ChopTones or JTM Profiles of the Laney GH100L, how would I mimic the actual amp settings once I call up a profile? Hopefully this is not a completely moronic question. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
    Jeff in Houston

dont forget, too, that a profile is a more than simply a chosen amp with chosen settings. It includes the cab/speaker(s), the mic, where the mic was placed, multiple mics, etc. Following that there might be additional "studio" processing if you are listening/comparing with a recorded guitar sound.
    I think even if you were given the exact same setup you would notuce some differences, notably created by the player them-self.
    Im sure the sound you seek is out there and it can be captured in a profile along with other infinite amp+Cab+mic permutations. If anything can recreate it the kemper can!

• Thanks very much. What I mean is, how do I save the new name. For example, I can only see the small name. Only like a group of 5 patch’s...
    I can’t save 1-5 only as one big group... I hope this makes some kind of sense...

It sounds like you’re in Browse mode, when you want to be in Performance mode

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Last question guys... I’m using an frfr powered speaker (at the moment), which output from the back in the Kemper..
    Thanks in advance..

Don't you think it would be a good idea to open your own thread instead of hijacking other thread? You would get more replies regarding your topic and would not interfere in the topic of this thread.

• Hey gang,

Regards,
    Jeff in Houston

Hey Jeff do yourself a favor and buy it! Im sure you could find a profile that would be very close if not dead on to Pauls Laney. The Kemper is the best (former axe fx user) trust me. Ive played on national tours and have done a lot of recording and the kemper is great for everything.

Im a big Malmsteen fan and Ive managed to get very very close to his tone with the kemper. :)

• Thanks, Rapidfire! Yeah, I'm sure I could get something close that I was happy with. I've already seen/heard so many amazing profiles from both normal user's and professional companies, so I'm excited. Unfortunately, I need to offload a bunch of old gear to finance my purchase (Triaxis, GSP-2101), so it may be awhile before I can make the jump to tonal nirvana. :(

Regards,
    Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• I seem to recall that Paul Gilbert is an occasional Kemper user, so maybe you could persuade him to profile his amp for you. :D

He has already profiled all his amps :)
    The only reason he doesn’t use it live is down to his giant feet and the closeness of the buttons on the Remote, apparently :D