Considering a Kemper, question on knobs and settings

• The only reason he doesn’t use it live is down to his giant feet and the closeness of the buttons on the Remote, apparently

Ah yes, I recall reading that now. As much as his enormous hands are a benefit, his similarly enormous feet are a curse!

• Thanks, again, gang.

As for Paul profiling his amps, I thought he just did that with his more recent Marshall + pedals setup? I'm not a fan of how thin his tone is after he went away from Laney. The tone he got on "Viking Kong", in particular, is one of my "Holy Grail Of Tone" sounds.

Regs,
    Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Jeff - I also had a Laney GH100L ( still have it!), love that amp, it was also the first Amp I profiled, and then decided there were way better profiles out there.

I'm sure you'll find sounds close enough without specifically going after that amp.

• Had one of these in the '90s, Jeff, and loved it. Killer rack, man; you shouldn't have any problems selling it I reckon.

Yeah, it's just a shame how much everything has depreciated over the years, you know? I have the chrome faced Artist Pro one with all the artist factory presets and stuff. :)

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Had one of these in the '90s, Jeff, and loved it. Killer rack, man; you shouldn't have any problems selling it I reckon.

Good deal, Monkey Man!

For reference, this is the tune/tone I was referencing as wanting to have in my arsenal. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Regs,
    Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• @SliderJeff I don't think you'd find it hard to create that tone from other profiles without necessarily having to get it from a profile of the Laney in question.
    When I bought my Kemper, I had a list of "holy grail" amps which I intended to compile in my Kemper, but it didn't take me long to realise that the sounds in my head were actually available from completely different amps. As a result, I now use profiles of a Bogner Shiva as my main amp and yet I've never played a real one!

• Jeff, am I hearing a little "power-amp hair" on that tone, or is it just me?

If so, and if you're "picky" to that end, you might find you have to dig around a little in order to recreate that bite.

I'm not really sure, MM. I don't know that my ears can detect power amp vs. preamp tonal additions once you through in different cabs or mics or mic angles, room ambience, etc...

Can you describe what you are hearing that would lend itself to being more power vs. pre? I believe he just used a Laney 2x12 with his Laney GH100L and an SM57 for this recording. Minus any "studio magic", that is.

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• It's just a little of that magical high-end "grit" that guys like Sonic had so much difficulty describing / conveying, Jeff. Hang on... he was here before your time. Suffice it to say he was an '80s metal guy who took cranked Marshalls very-seriously.

It's like a "crackly", "variable" high-frequency distortion (I called it hair) that adds cut, bite and mojo (through its unpredictable nature) to the base sound.

Heck, I have no idea whether or not there was much power-amp gain in there, which is why I asked, but whatever that "elusive" high-end-distortion thing I'm hearing is, I like it, and as I suggested, if it's indeed power-amp-generated, you might have to be patient when auditioning Profiles 'til you find it.