AX8 vs Kemper in High Gain Comparison

• No science behind this comparison. Only my favorite presets from AX8 vs same Amps and signal flow from Kemper. Just to see which i like more. Your opinion is also valuable. Let me know what you think! :)

AX8

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Peace! :D

Gear: Kemper Profiler | Neural DSP Plugins
    Guitars: .Strandberg*

• You know you can profile your AX8?

I prefer the Kemper in this case, it sounds more like an actual amp to me and less of that DI/Sim slightly fizzy sound. However I'm sure you could bring it more into line with the AX8 version if you prefer that with a more aggressive mid-scoop, possibly with an EQ in the X slot.

It has to be said that the AX8 is a more "modern" sound, perhaps because people have come to use sims a great deal more in heavy rock ever since Tool, and to me this exemplifies that particular set of tonal characteristics. It's aggressive, very forward and much easier to mix with as there's less competing with the vocals or other mids instruments.

• Huh, I was listening to the AX8 clip, and thought it was really good, and I would probably prefer it (given that it's a bit of an unfair comparison for the Kemper). And it seems like more here do. But I think I liked the Kemper better, for the same reasons as listed above, and I think it will sit better in a mix. But the AX8 has a real nice snappy bottom end to it. Both are great.

You know you can profile your AX8?

I prefer the Kemper in this case, it sounds more like an actual amp to me and less of that DI/Sim slightly fizzy sound. However I'm sure you could bring it more into line with the AX8 version if you prefer that with a more aggressive mid-scoop, possibly with an EQ in the X slot.

It has to be said that the AX8 is a more "modern" sound, perhaps because people have come to use sims a great deal more in heavy rock ever since Tool, and to me this exemplifies that particular set of tonal characteristics. It's aggressive, very forward and much easier to mix with as there's less competing with the vocals or other mids instruments.

That's interesting, I did not know that Tool was an early adapter to sims. That's pretty cool.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited once, last by Locrain ().

• What? A genuine discussion with good fair points regarding Ax8 and the kemper? No bitching or moaning (moaning is worse than bitching)
    Whats is in this beer, am i in the right place? Unbelievable :P:D

Since i am on the 2 amp sound journey atm, i put one on left and the other on right, to my surprise it did not sound bad, but both left/right with the kemper sounded better to me, would prob leave more room in the mix that way too (just guessing) seemed more raw amp sound to me..but then again like always no gear or rig sounds better, its just what works best in the end result, whats wrong with using BOTH in the mix, nothing. I still have plenty of Tim's (live Ready) Axe rigs he did.
    I use them and i am allowed as although its the axe, its still a kemper rig :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• kemper sounded better to me, would prob leave more room in the mix that way too (just guessing)

But I think I liked the Kemper better...I think it will sit better in a mix.

Great minds Ash, great minds. :D

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.