How to Transfer RM Library to New Computer?

• First, let me just say that I don't know what's preserved in a backup / restore but if it covers everything, that would probably be the easiest way.

They did this to make life easy for those who spend more time with guitars than computers. I just happen to make a living as a programmer and I wanted to know where the data was stored so I could include it in my nightly backups.

So, if for whatever reason backup / restore doesn't cover everything, in Windows there will be a folder named RigManager in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps, where UserName is the name you login to Windows with. This is where your Rig Manager data is stored.

This is an example in Windows 7. I don't have a Windows 10 box so there may be a minor difference, but I believe they kept this structure. If not let me know and I'll research it.

So, here's how to do it manually:

1. On the old computer, copy the RigManager folder to a USB drive
    2. On the new computer, first install Rig Manager
    3. After Rig Manager is installed, close it and then navigate to the folder mentioned above
    4. Rename your current RigManager folder to RigManagerOriginalInstall just in case (with technology, paranoia is your friend)
    5. Copy your RigManager folder from the USB drive to the folder on your new computer.
    6. You will now see two folders, RigManagerOriginalInstall and RigManager so if something goes south you can delete the one you copied, rename RigManagerOriginalInstall back to RigManager and Rig Manager will be back to the installation defaults.
    7. Start Rig Manager
    8. You should see the exact same thing that you see on your old computer in terms of content, user created folders, etc.

Hope this helps!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Have you succeeded ? I want to do the same ; transfer my organized Rig Manager between MacBook Pro to MacPro.

Just to be clear, what I described above is specifically for Windows. I have no experience with MacOS so if backup / restore doesn't do it for you, you'll need to consult a Mac person.

• I outlined the same procedure here for Mac a few years ago, Chris.

Does backup / restore get 100% of what's in the folder, or are there some things that would be omitted if you restored to a fresh new machine?

My initial motivation was to include the folder in my nightly backups and just tend to think that way, but if backups get it all then it's less computer-fiddly-stuff (that's a technical term) for those who don't enjoy such things.

• As far as I've been able to tell so far, it actually does seem to capture "everything", which is not only a Godsend but impressive IMHO, Chris, especially coming from a position of not trusting technology to get these things 100% right.

The database backup you and I do is for OCD types and paranoid old fuddy-duddies as an additional layer of security.

• No doubt. :D

Here's my M.O. for restoration, Chris, FWIMBW:

First load the restore file and have a good look around RM to ensure that all your folders are intact.

If for some strange reason they're not (hasn't happened to me yet), then quit, replace the database folder and run the app.

• the best way to move your library from one computer is to use the backup function in Rig Manager. moving folder will result in issues you easily can avoid this way.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• moving folder will result in issues you easily can avoid this way.

I'm sure backup / restore is the best solution for the OP.

That said, I include this folder in my nightly backups. Could you clarify the issues that can result if I ever have to make use of this folder?

• That said, I include this folder in my nightly backups. Could you clarify the issues that can result if I ever have to make use of this folder?

a time machine backup, or any type of backup which allows you to restore your computer to an earlier date in time, will work fine. installing Rig Manager on another system and taking those folders might result in issues since those files can depend on a specific version of Rig Manager. there are other traps as well, but this might serve as an example many might understand.

• the best way to move your library from one computer is to use the backup function in Rig Manager. moving folder will result in issues you easily can avoid this way.

Just asking for clarification since I am now in the same situation. You can use Rig Manager to create a backup of your Kemper, but what about creating a back up of Rig Manager itself? I keep all of my profiles on my computer unless they are put into Performances on the Kemper. Can Rig Manager create a back up of itself and its folders on the computer?

• from Rig Manager Manual, Page 21:

The Tools Menu

Backup and restore Rig Manager’s entire content

Those backups contain the entire content of your Rig Manager including all Local Libraries and excluding the content of your Profiler. The backups are cross-platform compatible, in other words you can use them to transfer your Library from Macs to PCs and vice versa.

Use this backup to migrate your data from one computer to another.
    ✔✔Note, that this is a different backup to the one you can create in Profiler and put on an USB stick.

• G String, don't know why you trashed my response. My process worked for me ....FACT. Learn to respect others, even if they don't agree with you.

In the event that my process is not supposed to work, consider idiots luck. Either way I have all my profiles and performances from my old PC on my new PC by copying over the the backup file, not folder.

• G String, don't know why you trashed my response. My process worked for me ....FACT. Learn to respect others, even if they don't agree with you.

In the event that my process is not supposed to work, consider idiots luck. Either way I have all my profiles and performances from my old PC on my new PC by copying over the the backup file, not folder.

I trashed your response because it is not that simply. It feels like I've posted at least 10 times that moving folders from one system to the other might not result in what you want to achieve. Rig Manager has a backup function, for exactly the purpose of moving data from one system to another. I've mentioned that in post #11 and also #13.