Digitech Freqout - Weird Artefacts

• Hey guys,

I just ordered the Digitech Freqout last week because of all great reviews and because it sounded fantastic to me in the demos on Youtube.

I was planning on not using the momentary mode and put it in the Kemper's effects loop so I could switch it on/off with my MIDI footswitch. So I just experimented a bit, but i'm not really impressed. I get a lot of artefacts when muting notes, the trails end instantly and unnaturally and slides sound totally weird. The only option for me would be to use the momentary option, but I really hoped it could be a "Set and Forget", so I don't have to do extra cable runs to the front of the stage.

Are you guys having the same trouble, or am I just playing sloppy and not muting correctly? Or is everyone using this in momentary mode, which would solve some of the issues, but isn't all that convenient if you ask me.

Here are some recordings of the issues I'm having. I recorded a DI using S/PDIF and reamped it two times, once without the Freqout and once with the Freqout engaged. I'm using a Yamaha Revstar with the TAF "ManRock 800" profile, no effects and noisegates, just some EQ. The Freqout is in the loop in slot A (I'm experiencing the same when going directly to the Freqout with the output going to the Kemper input).

I've incorporated the two reamps in one stereo track, so you can hear them at the same time.

Stereo track, Left: Freqout ON, Right: Freqout OFF (make sure to listen in stereo)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mono track, Freqout ON:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mono track, Freqout OFF:

Settings on the Freqout are as follows. The onset is not exactly fast, although the really short staccato open strings I'm playing at the end still activate the feedback, which is surprising...

• These are the short comings of the unit. I mentioned in another thread about the unnatural slide artifacts. The onset I have set at the slowest as it’s still quite fast.

I place in in front of the kemper and also use it in front of my valve amp- the effect is the same.

It’s a tool that takes a bit of time to get used to and is best used just for single held notes to add those higher harmonics to, like feedback. I think it’s best used in momentary too rather than turn on and leave and then you just choose when the ‘feedback’ kicks in.

• These are the short comings of the unit. I mentioned in another thread about the unnatural slide artifacts. The onset I have set at the slowest as it’s still quite fast.

I place in in front of the kemper and also use it in front of my valve amp- the effect is the same.

It’s a tool that takes a bit of time to get used to and is best used just for single held notes to add those higher harmonics to, like feedback. I think it’s best used in momentary too rather than turn on and leave and then you just choose when the ‘feedback’ kicks in.

Some of the problems can be overcome by using the momentary mode indeed, which is ok if that will make the unit work.
    However, I don't see any other method than just not playing slides, which is a pity. It would be cool to be able to play this solo using the pedal (at 5:07). The sliding makes it impossible I think. Bummer...

External Content youtu.be

• I use the freqout and love it....however I totally agree with your assessment. I use it sparingly within a mix and it can sound very convincing. My settings on pedal are gain fairly low 10oclock, onset up fairly high 1 or 2 o’clock then I exclusively play type in second position. The key for me has been to use on single held lead notes then before artifacts hit signal I jump straight into another note. I almost never let it ring out. Obviously the pedal has some shortcomings but when used in context sparingly it can bring an incredible dimension of analog flavor to a digital dimension. Oh and I use momentary as well as the set and forget settings. With the late onset settings in the set and forget mode I can quickly move on from a phrase before it kicks in. Good luck with it...

• Hi, I agree. The Freqout is not the master of feedback , it is a padal with fine gimmicks. when I first plugged in I was also dissapointed, but after a while of testing I won't miss it. The sound in the vid is impossible to reach with the freqout. This is natural feedback per excellence.

After some practice I used the freqout like in this short tune (but not so often like in this tune, this is only for demonstration)

and the settings are

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/bnhr1BO.jpg]

The sound is an JCM800 with a black muff , I added a comp in front of the amp to get also feedback from the profile.

My freqout sits in front of the kpa.Momentary mode on, so I control everything with my feed.

Hope you like it.

Be patient with this thing, you can have a lot of fun with it.

Cheers
    Frank

• I use the freqout and love it....however I totally agree with your assessment. I use it sparingly within a mix and it can sound very convincing. My settings on pedal are gain fairly low 10oclock, onset up fairly high 1 or 2 o’clock then I exclusively play type in second position. The key for me has been to use on single held lead notes then before artifacts hit signal I jump straight into another note. I almost never let it ring out. Obviously the pedal has some shortcomings but when used in context sparingly it can bring an incredible dimension of analog flavor to a digital dimension. Oh and I use momentary as well as the set and forget settings. With the late onset settings in the set and forget mode I can quickly move on from a phrase before it kicks in. Good luck with it...

I definitely agree that the feedback sounds very convincing, it's actually very impressive!

I don't know if I would dare to use this live though.. If I would accidentally end a feedbacked note with a slide, it will instantly sound fake.

Surely sounds good, Frank!

Seems like one cannot just put on the pedal on and play like you would always do. If I'm limited to single sustaining notes where I have to worry in a live situation that the note might unexpectedly crap out, then I think €150,- is a bit much for such a pedal.

I think I'm gonna give it a few more days of fiddling and then I'm gonna decide whether to return it or not. It really is a pity, as this sounds very much like the real deal and even works with headphones on!

• If Kemper implements something like this but that's controllable (fade in and out) with an analogue or MIDI CC pedal, I'll be stoked.

Seems to me that this is what's missing from the DigiTech. I actually thought all along that this is what it did 'til I saw the pics. Seems like a huge oversight to me. I mean, the whole idea of feedback is to be able to control it, surely?

One could simply "leave it on" and fade it in and out as needed.

• Try to use a lot of vibrato. @ Livesoundlevel you won’t loose the tone. Practice and get the feel for it. It works fine @ rehearsal level.