Please stop me from buying an AXE FX III

• You can find numerous profiles on the Rig Exchange with volumes that are all over the place.

Well, some people (like me) prefer the flexibility when recording. There are tones and sounds I could never achieve with the KPA alone specifically because its effects capabilities are extremely limited by comparison.

I stand corrected. And I can see, from a recording standpoint hub, the axe could be a great tool. Strictly from a guitar rig standpoint, or the author of this thread, it comes down to, what effect possibilities would he be missing if he only had a KPA, not counting the advanced reverbs that are coming out any day now. For him, if he is used to a standard pedal board with traditional effects, the only thing he might be missing on the KPA would be overdrive pedals, which are in the plans to be developed further on the KPA, apparently Kristoph confirmed this last month. However, from a price standpoint, the Axe is what $3500, and then you still need the upcoming foot controller?! Likely $4000+ for both. For $3000 one could buy a powered KPA with the Remote and the line 6 HX Effects.

The commercial profiles I use seem to match volume wise. However, the profiles out there that don't match volume wise, one volume tweak and save and you probably won't have to worry about it again. I'm the sort that likes to toy around with where I set the gain. And with the KPA, I can play around with the gain of the profile and not have to compensate on the volume, let along go back and forth and compare it with another profile to see if the volume still matches. For me, at least, I never find myself playing the volume matching game during a soundcheck, and I always used to have to do that with every other multi-effect device I've used.

• Strictly from a guitar rig standpoint, or the author of this thread, it comes down to, what effect possibilities would he be missing if he only had a KPA, not counting the advanced reverbs that are coming out any day now.

Well, the ability to use a lot more than 4 post/pre-amp effects is definitely a bonus. The new Tri-Chorus sounds outstanding. Moreover, the official PC editor is excellent and makes tweaking simple and a joy.

from a price standpoint, the Axe is what $3500, and then you still need the upcoming foot controller?

The unit was in such high demand initially that customers had to join a waiting list to buy it at the stock price of $2,499. However, Fractal Audio had a few extra units they were offering at $3,499 to customers who didn't want to wait. The unit is currently listed as in-stock at $2,499.

The commercial profiles I use seem to match volume wise.

Commercial profiles in general can be a mixed bag volume wise at times.

However, the profiles out there that don't match volume wise, one volume tweak and save and you probably won't have to worry about it again.

Agreed, though in my experience this applies equally to the Axe FX.

• Some folks have bought an Axe FX twice?

Take it from an old swine who has been round the block a few times - Buying one for a second time is like taking back your ex; You know it's capable of playing a good tune on, and getting your fun with, but sooner or later you'll remember why you originally traded it in... lol

I've bought the Kemper 3 times. So there's that...

• Read the whole thread, very informative!

Since OP is asking for us to stop him from buying an Axe-FX III, here's my humble advice:

Buy a Kemper, spend the rest of the money to book some actual studio time in the near future. That way you'll be "forced" to spend the time composing and practicing instead of turning knobs and editing stuff in menus.

(Btw, I used to be the "the more knobs the better" type, now the simpler something is the more I enjoy it.)

• Yes, new 'beer' thread, about how much better UK beer is than that cat's urine they sell in the USA... lol :)

I'd rather have my Michelob Ultra hanging out on the hot beaches here in Florida than drinking that heavy soup in a glass you call beer in the UK. ;)

• just my opinion....., if you like Effects on guitar and you want to spend time to edit effects go with AXE, :/
    if you are a purist and love pure Amp sound (and prefer play guitar), KPA for ever... 8o

Ciao

:thumbup:

• Yes, new 'beer' thread, about how much better UK beer is than that cat's urine they sell in the USA... lol

Notwithstanding the Monty Python joke that in general holds true next time you are in New England, let me buy you a can of Heady Topper from The Alchemist (or a few) ;)https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46317/16814/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I apologize for the hijack, at least a little bit. :D

• "Next time you are in New England, let me buy you a can of Heady Topper from The Alchemist (or a few) " - Well that's a real nice gesture. If I ever drag my English ass out of Blighty, and head over to discover the wenches of Salem, I 'will' of course take you up on your kind offer. Reciprocally, if you are ever in Liverpool, UK, I'll offer y'all the same :)

• With all of the available parameters in the Axe FX, it's easy to spend more time twisting knobs than playing, however you definitely don't need to spend a lot of time tweaking to get good tone. You just need a couple of good IR's and everything else will often fall into place. If you doubt this, try swapping the cab from your favorite Kemper profile with an Ownhammer IR or a random cab from another profile.

If you can live with a couple of IRs and don't need variety, you honestly don't need neither the Kemper or AXE FX , If you need a minimalist approach of two to three sounds and want to save a lot of money, you can get a HOTONE BINARY or MOORE Radar, use either of them any real tube preamp or The send from a tube amp laying around, and there you'll have it, Sound that no can argue with, real tubes hybrid system that has more Mojo than any digital device, however you'll be sacrificing variety and convenience of all in one device.

• If you can live with a couple of IRs and don't need variety, you honestly don't need neither the Kemper or AXE FX , If you need a minimalist approach of two to three sounds and want to save a lot of money, you can get a HOTONE BINARY or MOORE Radar, use either of them any real tube preamp or The send from a tube amp laying around, and there you'll have it, Sound that no can argue with, real tubes hybrid system that has more Mojo than any digital device, however you'll be sacrificing variety and convenience of all in one device.

A number of players who come from real amps / cabs often have difficulty adjusting to the sound of a mic'd cab through studio monitors / FRFR, however assuming they've adjusted their expectations, a scaled down rig such as that may be just the ticket.

• IMO it comes down to 5 things as both units sound and feel amazing.

- Which user interface do you prefer?

- How are you going to control it? Which pedal board do you think you'd prefer?

- Will you ever need to use a real cab with it? If so, the KPA onboard poweramp option is super handy (has gotten me out of a bind a few times!)

- How much do you want to spend? What's the availability? There is a substantial price difference, especially when imo both achieve the same thing. If gigging, the replacement cost/wait time if things get damaged/stolen is worth considering also.

- do you use a PC often and willing to tinker? The Fractal PC editor is pretty damn sweet but imo, it needs to be. There are so many options you can screw with - it's almost a requirement to efficiently tweak the AXE (I know some will disagree though ). I'd bet a genuine Kemper PC editor will happen at some point too, so maybe not such a big choice factor long term, but worth noting.

• Nobody's mentioned the dynamic cab behaviour of the KPA even 'though IR's have been talked about for the Axe.

Just sayin'. I'd count this, along with the authenticity of the actual amp and signal-chain Profiling, as being amongst the great strengths of the KPA.

• Don't forget that you probably have to buy a new axe fx in some years from now because there is axe fx 4 ;)
    I don't like that axe philosophy where you have to buy every few years a new axe because of
    new models. Did you buy every few years a new amp?

Not sure, but aren't that the release dates from the different models?

Standard: 2006
    Ultra: 2008
    II: 2011
    II XL: 2014
    III: 2018

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

Edited once, last by hafi19 ().

• Don't forget that you probably have to buy a new axe fx in some years from now because there is axe fx 4

You don't have to buy the latest model.

The Axe FX II Mark I/II, XL and XL+ share the exact same effects and amp models. Presets on the more recent Axe FX II XL+ will sound identical on the very first Axe FX II hardware, assuming you're using the same firmware release.

• Nobody's mentioned the dynamic cab behaviour of the KPA even 'though IR's have been talked about for the Axe.

Cabs in the KPA may exhibit dynamic behavior, I'm honestly not sure, however in my tests, which involve capturing the KPA's cab section using the Axe FX's built-in IR capture utility, I've been able to perfectly replicate their sound in the Axe.

• Forget the Axe vs Kemper debate, we now have a UK vs USA beer debate, and I assume the Australians will have something to say about it...

Please note UK beer is "weather appropriate"... we need a thick soupy beer to keep us warm rather than a diluted fizzy yellow liquid to cool us down :)

Only joking of course, but did make me smile...

• You don't have to buy the latest model.

The Axe FX II Mark I/II, XL and XL+ share the exact same effects and amp models. Presets on the more recent Axe FX II XL+ will sound identical on the very first Axe FX II hardware, assuming you're using the same firmware release.

I meant that more ironically. Of course you do not have to buy a new Ax Fx every year,
    if you're satisfied with the old one. But it is noticeable that they release another model
    every few years. Looks like a money making machine for me ;)

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• Forget the Axe vs Kemper debate, we now have a UK vs USA beer debate, and I assume the Australians will have something to say about it...

We certainly do. Note that the Python clip employed the Gold Standard™ when it comes to beer expertise - The Aussie Ocker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocker

Cabs in the KPA may exhibit dynamic behavior, I'm honestly not sure, however in my tests, which involve capturing the KPA's cab section using the Axe FX's built-in IR capture utility, I've been able to perfectly replicate their sound in the Axe.

Hey '80s Bro'.

It's not about the sound; it's the behaviour. Apparently the KPA's cabs, captured during the Profiling Process, react realistically to impedance changes (air resistance of cone, inertia of voice coil, varying voltage levels encountered through dynamic playing etc.), whereas IR's, great-and-accurate as they sound, are literally a snapshot at a single voltage and impedance level. IOW, they're a one-off capture of a unique situation - a pulse's being passed through a cab.

Hope you're well, bud; long time no speak.

• I meant that more ironically. Of course you do not have to buy a new Ax Fx every year,if you're satisfied with the old one.

Sure you don't have buy one but anyone who's bought the AXE for modeling would feel compelled to buy one because Fractal would claim that the new release has their most accurate latest technology.

If the various iteration of their technologies are constantly changing, a person with reasonable intelligence will know that their modeling is never accurate in reproducing tube amp tones, and if it ever was, then it wouldn't need to change. Kemper profiling hasn't changed since the first Kemper was released and the same accurate profile is still the same since the beginning.

AXE FX list of technologies and gimmicks included such things as MIMIC :D

Before MIMIC there was DRT (Dynamic response technology) after maybe 20 versions of MIMIC came Quantum , then after nine versions of Quantum came Ares. The AXE WIKI shows about 28 different main versions of firmware since AXE II that each probably had hundreds of incremental updates and some AXE users will claim that with each upgrade the modeling is better.

Who has time to keep up with this $hit. Think about it :D I just looked at that crap before I bought the Kemper and common sense told me if they got it right in the early days of DRT they wouldn't have to keep changing their Catch Phrase claimed to be some technology.

Seriously, I'mg going to pay over 2.5K for clearly false claims of accurate modeling.and misleading marketing gimmicks?

I consider it an insult to my intelligence as a consumer but that's just me,

If you're going to tell me as a consumer that MIMIC, Quantum , DRT or ARES are real technologies that accurately model tube amps, I'm going to tell you that Santa, the tooth fairy, and unicorns are real and if you tell me they're not, I'm going to cry and pout as I tell you how dare you question my choice of what's real and what's not. :D , Wait a minute, I think I got that reversed, if you bought the AXE FX Platform it would likely be you who will be crying and pouting while calling me a Kemper Fan boy, when I'm just an educated consumer :)