Please stop me from buying an AXE FX III

• Luckily, I'm at a point where I can purchase either the Kemper Profiler Rack (unpowered) or an AXE FX III (got the email invitation and I'm next in line).

Keep in mind that I've owned the Kemper and it's familiar territory; I know what to expect. On the other hand, the AXE FX series is completely new to me and I'm not sure if "the grass is actually greener".

The AXE looks quite attractive since it is "new" and has so many features, bells and whistles; I'm also worried that a Kemper 2 might be coming out of nowhere and make this investment moot.

I'd appreciate any input from people that have fiddled with both units and has a clear grasp of the clear advantages between both.

I want a unit that can offer the most faithful/realistic recording results and also offer tons of flexibility with effects.

Pros... Cons?

Thanks in advance!

• One thing I've understood about the Axe FX III is that you can play 2 (or more?!) guitars through it at the same time, which is an awesome feature if you want to save space in the live rig.

And I'm sure its a good sounding unit

But if you already got a Kemper = make the most out of it because you already have it

Personally I would only be interested in a new Kemper if it was 1U space so I could save space in my bands live rig (3U + 3U for 2 guitars is too large)

• Welcome back, sorta... :huh:

I'd appreciate any input from people that have fiddled with both units and has a clear grasp of the clear advantages between both.

I've never owned one but a friend of mine bought the 3 after being on "that list"! Of course he went on and on about how it's the best thing since sliced bread. After three short months, it's for sale at a huge loss right now. Not that he cares about the money, he just didn't like the complicated nav anymore. And yeah, he's owned every version since it's inception.

I'm not sure if "the grass is actually greener".

IMHO, nope. ;)

• I've never owned one but a friend of mine bought the 3 after being on "that list"! Of course he went on and on about how it's the best thing since sliced bread. After three short months, it's for sale at a huge loss right now. Not that he cares about the money, he just didn't like the complicated nav anymore. And yeah, he's owned every version since it's inception.

Since he is selling at a loss, may I inquire as to how much is he selling it for?

And thanks for your input good sir!

• Indeed, I sold my Axe FX11xl, in favour of a Kemper. I even prefer my Helix to the Axe FX. There is nothing I can't do on the Helix that I did on the Axe, it sounds great too. The Kemper is my best bit of kit though, each to their own, but Kemper wins every time.

The Axe will also allow infinite, excessive editing features, which mostly I doubt anyone would need. A chap could get bored with the constant knob twiddling one can do, and never actually play. Endless parameters of effects to adjust. If you are into all that sort of stuff, then fair enough. The Kemper is a 'no nonsense' unit, which does everything I demand, and with ease of use. IMHO, an update is nothing I need, it does it all already.

I have said many times before, when similar questions were asked on forums, " I liked the Axe, but NEVER loved it". Now my Kemper? I love that! :)

Edited 3 times, last by LiamUK ().

• One thing I've understood about the Axe FX III is that you can play 2 (or more?!) guitars through it at the same time, which is an awesome feature if you want to save space in the live rig.

Will Axe FX IV support 3 instruments? :) You could then cater for 95 % of bands, since they usually have 2 guitars and 1 bass.

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000

• Which would you rather do to find a good tone?

1) Get lost in menus trying parameters that may or may not get you there whilst trying to play at the same time?

or

2) Audition Profiles in RM with the up / down arrows on your keyboard 'til you find something that's in the ballpark, knowing that at any time you could be inspired by an "unexpected" Rig?

• Not ever used an Axe but just some thoughts from me...:

The Axe I think most will agree has the advantage for effects, the Kemper for out and out tone.

For recording, do you really want to record with lots of effects or add in post recording??? Just a thought...i.e. do your really need the effects in the axe?

With regards to a Kemper 2, there has been many debates on that. At present it seems unlikely to appear imminently...I would expect an Axe 4 before a Kemper 2.

Also consider price - You can virtually buy 2 Kempers for the price of an Axe III. I'd get a Kemper and buy a really nice guitar as well!

One final thing, I assume you don't gig? If you do, powered Kemper every time!

• I've only ever had an Axe FX ultra and not even tried a Axe FX 2 let alone a 3 but I would still go with the Kemper all day long. Not that the Axe doesn't sound good because it does. But I found there was too much tweaking to do on an Axe FX and it is definitely more complicated than Kemper in my opinion. But the big one for me would be resale value (Especially because you're not sure). At the minute, Axe FX units seem to be a lot harder to sell and they seem to depreciate in value a lot more than Kempers (in England at least).

And as mentioned above, for the price of the Axe 3, you can buy a Kemper and have change to buy a guitar or even something else.

Ultimately, I have felt more inspired playing a Kemper.
    Both are good units, It's amazing to see how far technology has come, there has never been a better time for guitarists!

• You really can’t go wrong with either one.

Both can give you great tones.

Both have more FX than most people need. Are there specific FX that you need that are not in the KPA? Are they in the Axe? You may still need a stomp box.

There’s no need to be concerned about a new version of either device: a new model of the Axe becomes available on a regular basis, so that is pretty much guaranteed. A new version of the KPA will likely eventually come, but, how many new versions of the Axe will come by then?

The Axe has many more parameters that can be edited.

The KPA offers many more profiles.

It may come down to this:
    Which user interface do you prefer?

• Bought the AxeFx Ultra (actually the second device here in EU) - loved it at that time - sold it
    Bought the AxeFx II - loved it at that time - sold it
    Bought the Kemper - loved it - still love it - keep it.

:)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Both units are going to offer excellent, authentic tone. The Axe FX is going to offer infinitely more flexibility with regard to effects and general tone shaping. On the other hand, the Kemper's tones are based on actual rigs. If you're using the front panel to edit presets / profiles, then it's a bit of a toss-up between the two, but if you're using a computer then I'd definitely give the edge to the Axe FX because it has a very mature and well thought out editor.

• Considering they dropped the price from the original sticker 1k already (he paid full price)... I'd be pissed. Why is that I wonder, poor sales? As others have said, do you want to "tweak out" or do you want to "play"?

What are you talking about? They haven't dropped the price on the AF3.

• Considering they dropped the price from the original sticker 1k already (he paid full price)... I'd be pissed. Why is that I wonder, poor sales?

The price has always been $2,499, however you had to join a waiting list to buy it at that price due to demand. Fractal Audio did have a few extra units that they were offering for $3,499 to customers who didn't want to wait.

• The price has always been $2,499, however you had to join a waiting list to buy it at that price due to demand. Fractal Audio did have a few extra units that they were offering for $3,499 to customers who didn't want to wait.

My mistake, he paid $3499 and was talking about the list. I thought that would of been strange to drop so quick. I'm not knocking fractal, many love it, heck I think it sounds pretty good too. Would I buy one, probably, if the price was right! :thumbup: