Helix with Kemper?!

• Hi. My amp is gonna be getting a mod done (Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 Head) and I need to play a gig and my backup has always been a DDRI. I sold it and haven’t replaced it with something else yet.

So I thought I could use my Kemper into my cab and then use my Helix LT as the effects.

Do I just use the 4 cable method and then set the X as the send/return? Or how do I do it? Do I need to change anything in the options (Input/output etc)?

Thanks.

• What FX do you need that you don’t get with the Profiler?

Hi mate. I don’t have a Remote or the Behringer floorboard so I won’t have any access to any. And I wouldn’t buy one just for one practice and show so I thought I could just run it through the Kemper. Thanks.

Edited once, last by PhilUK84 ().

• If you want to control the Kemper with the Helix then what you need is a MIDI cable. The 4CM alone won’t allow you to do that. 4CM allows you to combine the amps and FX of both units, but that’s about it.

I used to control my Kemper with the Helix functioning exclusively as a foot controller. Works great, but it does require some programming. You’ll need to study the MIDI Parameter Documentation guide of the Kemper, which you can download from the Support section on the Kemper site.

• If you want to control the Kemper with the Helix then what you need is a MIDI cable. The 4CM alone won’t allow you to do that. 4CM allows you to combine the amps and FX of both units, but that’s about it.

I used to control my Kemper with the Helix functioning exclusively as a foot controller. Works great, but it does require some programming. You’ll need to study the MIDI Parameter Documentation guide of the Kemper, which you can download from the Support section on the Kemper site.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I’ve no need to control anything. I literally just want to use the effects on the Helix and be able to turn them on and off. I might even just not bother and just use the guitar and volume knob.

But just in case, I go 4CM and then what do I do on the Kemper. Use the X block to set what exactly.

Thanks.

Edited once, last by PhilUK84 ().

• If you’re just using 1 amp as your pedal platform, then you don’t need a MIDI cable. Simply hook up the Kemper into the Helix in 4CM and set up all the effects in the Helix however you want.

You’ll want to place an FX Loop block in the Helix as a replacement for an Amp block, since the Kemper is acting as your amp in this case. No need to do anything with the X block in the Kemper. You wouldn’t want to hook up the Helix into the Kemper as that won’t be optimal (in terms of flexibility), IMO. Plus, that would require MIDI programming. I’m sure you can find videos on YouTube on how to set this up. I believe Line 6 has a couple of them on their YouTube channel. You can also find this info by searching online.

Honestly, if you’re just wanting a quick replacement rig I would simply use the Helix until you get your amp back. This setup is more hassle than its worth if it’s not gonna be used frequently.

• If you’re just using 1 amp as your pedal platform, then you don’t need a MIDI cable. Simply hook up the Kemper into the Helix in 4CM and set up all the effects in the Helix however you want.

You’ll want to place an FX Loop block in the Helix as a replacement for an Amp block, since the Kemper is acting as your amp in this case. No need to do anything with the X block in the Kemper. You wouldn’t want to hook up the Helix into the Kemper as that won’t be optimal (in terms of flexibility), IMO. Plus, that would require MIDI programming. I’m sure you can find videos on YouTube on how to set this up. I believe Line 6 has a couple of them on their YouTube channel. You can also find this info by searching online.

Honestly, if you’re just wanting a quick replacement rig I would simply use the Helix until you get your amp back. This setup is more hassle than its worth if it’s not gonna be used frequently.

What Jose7822 has written should work from my research although I never tried it. You could possibly add a 2 button switch to switch profiles on the Kemper if you need a clean and a dirty channel along with helix effects. I myself was going to attempt such things but made it as far as controlling the Kemper with the Helix and gave up on it.

• What Jose7822 has written should work from my research although I never tried it. You could possibly add a 2 button switch to switch profiles on the Kemper if you need a clean and a dirty channel along with helix effects. I myself was going to attempt such things but made it as far as controlling the Kemper with the Helix and gave up on it.

The problem is he needs a power amp to go into the cabinet and the Kemper is the only one he has right now, so that method I described above won’t work for him.

If I were him I would just use the Helix as a MIDI controller. The effects in the Kemper are more than enough to cover any gig, unless he wants the synth oscillators and filters that the Helix offers. But as a backup rig, I wouldn’t bother. That’s me though :-).

• Why not just use the Kemper with one or two pedals in front, instead of a second behemoth device. If you really need foot switching then set up a performance (five rigs with the desired effects in each) and use a roland up down switch to go between the various rigs. Or, skip all that and just turn around and touch the button of the effect that you’re turning on or off. Works great for me. Nothing but an exp pedal for morphing on the floor (another easy, but more rich alternative to simply using your guitar volume knob).

• Currently using: -

Guitar - Helix Guitar I/P - Helix Send 1 - KPA Guitar in - KPA Stereo X Block Send - Helix Return 2 - Helix 1/4" L & R Outs - KPA Return & Alternative Return - KPA - speakers.

You can put in the mono effects in the Helix before Send 1 (hence before the KPA amp) and all Helix stereo effects between the Helix return 2 and the 1/4" outputs giving you stereo effects after the KPA amp.

• I run Helix and the KPA separately. That way I can use whichever I want when I want.

Sometimes the K.I.S.S. technic is the best.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user