Stereo FR - DXR12 or ALTO?

• I'm using one Yamaha DXR12 right now and am considering buying a new FR speaker so that I can play in stereo.
    However, buying a second DXR12 seems a bit overkill - too expensive.
    I wanted to know if anyone tried playing with a DXR12 on one side and a 12" FR ALTO on the other side?
    Is the difference notable or can it be ignored?
    Cheers!

• Personally I dont think you can really notice the stereo effect in a live setup unless you are big into ping pong delays etc.

You can if you're standing right in the middle of the two in a good position, at least I can, with my two DXR's. It's not like headphones but decent. I think if they're basically the same power rating then it would be fine. The Headrush seems to be getting good reviews as does the EV-ZLX.

• Sell the DXR and get a mission stereo cab :D
    Believe it, stereo is every thing (baby) 8o
    the new delays kill it...reverb soon..

all the rigs come alive in Stereo IMHO, when have we ever been able to get a stereo cab like the mission?
    Kemper is unique technology, to me its a waste not playing it in stereo(wasting all the fx and rigs designed for stereo etc)

When i am at home writing/practicing, At a bedroom volume , i run 2 stereo cabs and 2 kempers, i have never heard anything like it in the world
    and its not just the ping pong rigs, metal , jazz..the resonance is just full on in stereo all the rigs shine...
    I doubt there is any thing the same.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Personally I dont think you can really notice the stereo effect in a live setup unless you are big into ping pong delays etc.

Audio from two speakers will variably be in different phases depending on position and frequency and will thus effect the perceived sound, even if the audio-source is mono. In my experience stereo-cabinets with multiple speakers in the same box like the Mission Gemini II or one of the many variants from BlueAmps do generate a "fuller" sound than mono cabs despite having minimal physical separation between their drivers. The wavelength of a 1kHz-tone is about 1ft so it doesn't take much difference in distance between two identical audio-sources to create a noticeable effect. This obviously also affect traditional amp/cab configurations. It is physically impossible to design 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets that sound exactly the same.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Oh no you've woken @ashtweth on the stereo debate :)

Persoanlly I don;t think there is much in stereo although our other guitarist runs 2 altos with his helix and it does sound good - he prefers the stereo.

When I did a back to back test with Alto's and DXR ( albeit 10's), for me the DXR was way better. Therefore if you wanna do it:
    1) I suggest using the same for each side, don;t mix and match, too unpredictable - could sound ace or could sound awful
    2) I prefer DXR's over altos, but big price difference
    3) Try them first!

• you guys keep saying that but I know if you were at my house playing through the set up all the beer would be drunk and the neighbors would be calling the police :D:P

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.