high pitch sound/ noise

• Hello ,

I'm having this very very frustrating problem . No more joy in playing when having this

So ,

I have a high pitched noise that keeps ringing forever , I has nothing to do with amp or guitar .

I did my own problem finding so far :

I bought a battery powered amp ( to exclude problems with ground wire ...)
    Turned off my electricity except for the socket i was using.

Turned of smartphone.

I went to my parents house , no problems there

My neigbour isnt at home most of times and my other neighbor house is abandoned.

the freq is about 4khz

I can kill it with a noise gate but only when i let my guitar untouched as soon i press a string ... there you have it
    I do not need gutiar to hear the noise the only thing i have to do is to plug in a guitar cable in any sort of amp and i have the high pitched noise .

So i really wonder whats causing it a radio antenne? a nearby factory ( i live near a industrial complex ) ,

I have a les paul and strat , offcourse the strat is more terrible . les paul i can live with

Solution i have ?

1 MOVE

2 Build a 10 foot thick concrete bunker :S

:( depressing

How can i stop this ? i need something that cuts the High freq out of my signal . i Tried the EQ HIGH CUT setting which helps little if turned down to 2000hz . Noise gates helps but have to put is very far like 8 and like I said when pressing strings the noise returns

So please help me :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by Foxbilder ().

• Have you pushed the grounding button on the backside of the KPA ?

My yamaha HS7 and HS80 have a very high hiss, you cannot get rid of, but gets unnoticeable once you play.

Soundcard and laptop make also a CPU related hiss.

You should also try grounding yourself ( arm or leg ) to a nearby pipe or ground socket like with an anti-static device like the one I used while I was disassembling laptops in the past. Be sure all your hardware is electrically safe before doing this.

• My immediate assumption was that the ground wire between the bridge of your guitar and the back of one of the pots was faulty. However, when I thought about it that would more likely mean that the noise reduced when you touched the strings as you would become the ground. Did I interpret the original post correctly. The noise isn't there when you don't touch the strings but APPEARS when you do touch them?

You said that you have ruled out the guitar but have you checked for a faulty cable between guitar and amp. Sounds possible that you have poor screening in the cable itself.

You are right to try and get to the root of the problem. Covering this kind of thing with a noise gate is never a good solution. The noise gate is usually best as an effect (to create super tight muting) or to reduce excessive hiss from very high gain sounds. Your Kemper shouldn't make this kind of noise so there must be something causing it. The only question is what? Unfortunately that can sometimes take a lot of time and effort to figure out so many people just resort to the noise gate instead of fixing the real problem.

• yeah , like i said dont need a intrument to hear the problem just a guitar cable put into an amp . I turned everthing off in my house , i really have no clue ,
    I forget to say sometimes its just quiet . Not often muste there are moments when there is no noise .
    So im really thinkin something from in the neigbourhood. But thats like findin a needle in a haystack

• You mentioned that it's about 4Khz. That's a pretty high pitched squeal; much higher than I would expect from any sort of electrical issues in your house.

Normally those are around 60hz or one of the multiples like 120hz maybe even 240hz. but 4k is high. I just ran a 4k test tone trough a generator and it's nothing like normal guitar interference. Even sitting here just now holding a single coil guitar right up to the computer monitor and the KPA itself with a high gain setting I only get noise around 120hz. I freely admit that I'm not an expert on electronics so others might be able to say whether I am wrong or not but I wouldn't expect that kind of noise to be a problem with your house or guitar.

It sounds like your Kemper might have a fault.

I would DEFINITELY try and get to the root of the problem though rather than trying to cover it up with a noise gate.

• Electrical voodoo!

You have written that sometimes everything is ok and all is working for you.
    Next is, that the kpa works in another flat.

So, I think it's not a problem of the kpa.

Do you have an airconditioning unit running? Are you sure that you are completly separated from circuits with a fridge? Sometimes those units have a frequency converter or better frequency changer inside which have no netfilter and when those units are running they give back frequency mud back into the net.

Neons will also do that.

I recomment to get in contact with an electrician, everything from here is just reading in the coffeeground and it can end in dangerous hints.

Be save and let a pro look over it.

Cheers
    Frank

• how do you explain then the 9 v battery amp with same problem?

edit now its 8 in the morning and the sound is gone . wonder when it will be back , again .

thats why i think it must be a device thats manualy turned on and off. :s

• damn... Interesting problem. If it does it with guitar unplugged and just a cable plugged into the amp, that's really bizarre.

The sound you describe is way too high to be mains freq related, and too stable to be typical radio interference. Even neon signs or directly next to a gained up amp with an open input (cable plugged into amp but no guitar plugged in on other end) won't typically create noise anywhere near 4khz. Does the sound change in pitch or volume at all if you just have the cable plugged into the amp (no guitar) and you swing the free end around a bit? How about a short pedal patch cable? Same noise? How about nothing plugged into the amp? Can you make it do it then?

If possible a quick and dirty yt video showing the sound and how its triggered (with both the kpa and other amp) would be super helpful? A pain to do I know, but knowing what the noise actually sounds like will give everyone here a much better chance to help find the cause.

I love electrical puzzles - but this is a strange one for sure!

• I think it's your house wiring. Try turning off your main breaker and playing your battery powered amp. :)

Also a good idea!

I am an engineer in air handling units and I have a lot of experience when technical problems with the net came up. I had one claim where units shuts down everyday at the same time. The problem was a welding machine directly in the neighborhood. When the machine switched on in the morning the net gets so many electronical mud that it produces a shut down to the frequency converters in our unit. We found it out with an electrician and some electronic gauge. We installed netfilters. Problem solved.

Ask an electrician.

• how do you explain then the 9 v battery amp with same problem?

edit now its 8 in the morning and the sound is gone . wonder when it will be back , again .

thats why i think it must be a device thats manualy turned on and off. :s

OK, that’s my fault, sorry. I misinterpreted the problem. I though It was fixed using the battery amp. My bad.

As @greenblob also said, 4K is pretty high so it doesn’t sound like electrical interference.

However, if it’s still there with the battery amp then surely that MUST rule out a problem with you house electricity as you aren’t connected to the electrical circuit.

So it must be a problem with the guitar, the cable or radio interference of some sort.

However, as I also mentioned earlier, i’m not an electrician or electronic engineer so it’s time for me to shut up and let people who actually do know what they are talking about try to help ;)

I’ll be following progress out of personal curiosity and hope you manage to get to the bottom of it soon.