Original Peavey 5150 block letters - yay or nay?

• Found a used Peavey 5150 block letters 2x12" amp for a good price. Wondering if it's worth the plunge.

It has two 1x12" Sheffield speakers, which I'm not too sure about, but I could always replace them.

Has anyone got any experience with this amp? I've heard some people rave about the mids, while others say the 5150II and EVH5150III are the way to go.

• Not much to add except I've never liked the 5150 full stop. Seems so thin to me whenever I've used one. The mids sound...erm...artificial ? anyway I might have just played a bad one, but even when I've seen bands I've never been massively impressed.

I've heard the earlier ones are better...sorry can;t offer anything else....except get an Engl :)

• Not much to add except I've never liked the 5150 full stop. Seems so thin to me whenever I've used one. The mids sound...erm...artificial ? anyway I might have just played a bad one, but even when I've seen bands I've never been massively impressed.

I've heard the earlier ones are better...sorry can;t offer anything else....except get an Engl :)

I never have either. But I have a bunch of profiles that absolutely kill. Funny how that works. :D

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Found a used Peavey 5150 block letters 2x12" amp for a good price. Wondering if it's worth the plunge.

It has two 1x12" Sheffield speakers, which I'm not too sure about, but I could always replace them.

Has anyone got any experience with this amp? I've heard some people rave about the mids, while others say the 5150II and EVH5150III are the way to go.

Good amp but it's a heavy sonofabitch. The speakers would have to go if it were mine lol. If you go with a 5153 get one with higher serial numbers as they made a revision and ended up with a bit more gain on the red channel.

I used to own a 5153 a while ago. Sold it because I didn't bond with it. But the more I think about it, the more I want to get a replacement. There's also the option of going for another 5153, though I kind of feel like I would be going in circles. The older 5150 seemed like an interesting replacement, though I know that while some people love them, most people prefer the later iterations.

I never have either. But I have a bunch of profiles that absolutely kill. Funny how that works. :D

I wonder if that has a lot to do with the fact that the Kemper profiles are a mixed up sound and often run through preamps and other outboard processing.

I've found the variants on the Exchange to be largely-good.

It's like, down arrow, meh, down arrow, meh, down arrow... hang on... this one sounds alright - probably a 5150, and lo and behold, it often is.

Yeah, there are some killer ones on the rig exchange. Mick Rich's profiles come to mind.

Good amp but it's a heavy sonofabitch. The speakers would have to go if it were mine lol. If you go with a 5153 get one with higher serial numbers as they made a revision and ended up with a bit more gain on the red channel.

There's also the option of a Victory Kraken. Someone is selling one, but asking for a bit more than I care to pay for a used amp. How does the Victory stack up against the 5150? I tried to hear some comparisons on youtube, but didn't find anything convincing. Most people on forums say it's better to go with the real deal, i.e. 5150.

• I’ve got a block letter, 6505, and a 6505+ and the block and 6505 are identical. Same exact circuit and chassis. Different badges and original tubes is all that separated them. The + is a little brighter and tighter, but less aggressive and raw. It’s minimal but noticeable side by side.
    The EVH models have nice modern touches and a more refined sound. I find them a bit neutered and lacking the tone that made the original such a beast. They are good amps, but I prefer the Peavey’s.
    Ive found that running a clean boost (TS9 or 808) in front sounds best by reducing the mids on the amp to around 3-4. Even better is to throw an EQ in the effects loop and pull the mids out there. You get all the grind in the distortion from heavily boosted mids up front, but can balance the sound out here.