editing a rig with the manager?

• Hi folks, I'm new :)

Is it possible to edit a rig (stomps, effects, etc) on my macbook (with the rig manager?) instead on the profiler itself?

cheers

edit: i found some earlier threads about this, it's been an ongoing discussion it seems.. :D

• With the Rig Manager, you can only edit local metadata, ie. the text that appears under Rig, Amp, Cabinet, Speaker, Mic, and the text that shows up when you pick the profile in your own Kemper.

In addition to that, you can rate (1 - 5 stars) profiles in the Rig Exchange.

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000

• I use ToastME, it is available for MAC. I really like it. It's not as good, surely, as official Kemper software would be, but for free??? It's pretty great.

Edit: You do have to run MIDI cables from the KPA through a converter, to a USB port on your MAC. I use this one, and it's been fantastic (EDIT: I USE WIN 10): https://www.amazon.com/Roland-…-Midi-Cable/dp/B00967UN50

Fair warning, if you decide to try and save money, go through this list and pick one. If you pick one not from this list, don't come here crying when it doesn't work. Actually, do come crying, cause we will still help. But buy one of these if you go this route! :D

M-Audio Uno
    M-Audio Profire 2626
    M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO
    M-Audio MIDISport 2X2 USB Bundle
    Yamaha UX 16 USB/MIDI interface
    Roland Um-One
    ESI Midimate EX
    ESI Midimate II
    AVID/M-Audio Fast Track Pro (latest drivers from AVID)
    Motu 823 mk3
    Miditech MIDIface 4x4
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2gen
    RME FireFace UC

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited 3 times, last by Locrain ().

• And what a surprise it would be. :D

As much as I am a fan of the way Kemper has handled this product (as well as the Access/Virus synth line), it is sometimes frustrating to get no real answer to the capabilities of the direct competition. In this case, ToastME bridges the gap admirably, thank God for the aftermarket community, and thanks to Kemper for not locking it down too hard (I don't know if they really could have with MIDI...but still).

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• It's not locked-down at all 'cause it's the basic MIDI spec of the unit that's used.

One could make a MIDI editor using the same methodology for any number of hardware devices out there. My DAW, DP, has what it calls "Consoles", and Logic has its equivalent; both (and I assume other DAW's) allow you to set up virtual knobs and faders to send MIDI CC data, programme changes and whatnot in order to achieve the same thing.

• Thanks for that explanation. Would it have been possible, if Kemper had wanted, to lock down MIDI comms to only allow floorboard control? I assumed not, since MIDI works off a shared protocol...but they could have at least locked channels that they didn't use? Or no?

MIDI noob, in case you didn't pick up. :D

• I don't think so, mate. There's no discerning between, say, CC messages received from a foot controller, a master keyboard and a software editor.

If they'd locked channels the editor could simply have used others as all are "the same", and besides, locking channels would only have served to confuse peeps who were trying to set up their MIDI floor controllers and whatnot.

• Haha, I had no doubt it would make things harder for people. That was kind of my question in a way...if Kemper had wanted to make 3rd party products/services more difficult to use, maybe he could have?

If so...I'm clearly very glad he didn't...since now I can edit profiles without wearing down the buttons on the KPA. :D

Edit: But obviously a 1 or 2 channel program would get through no matter what, because the KPA has to use something...right? I'm getting it? :D