Confused about channel switching...

• Hey all! Recently decided I wanted to gig with my kpa and I’m confused as to what you folks are using to switch from clean patch to a distorted patch and etc. I prefer not to use the Kemper remote. Also how would I set that up? I believe it’s midi cc
    Thanks for the help
    Charles <3

• Get a MIDI controller. The MIDI Mongoose is small and compact, and has 5 patches at a time, which lines up with Kemper performances. Set up your performances the way you like, and then use the controller to switch among the rigs. You shouldn't need to do any programming unless you have specific CC values you want to control, like volume, wah, etc.

• Behringer fcb + kemperuno....works, cheap...but bulky

Microdesignum ....works, affordable, small, lots of control.....hassle to program.

Boss ms3....works, small, lots of control, also does eff/ampswitch/loop for traditional rigs, easy switch to stompbox mode.....hassle to program, expensive If u only need a controler, only 4 preset switches per bank

With me the ms3 stuck cause it gives me a small board that fits the kpa bag, with 3 expression and 2 drive pedals I can also use 4cm or straight into a traditional amp.

If im correct you can also switch up and down with 2 controler switches right?

• Your expectation appear very minimalistic. Even no MIDI required for that. Just use a dual momentary switch like the KEMPER Switch 2-Way and configure it for Rig up/Rig down.

• Fair enough, the RJM stuff is pretty great! I guess for the money is what I was hinting at. ^^

It is definitely the most integrated solution, that's for sure. Dead simple to programme and pretty much foolproof. Kind of frustrating when you read about guys going on stage and then yanking that damn non-latching cable out though.

• IIRC, someone modded their Remote (or was it the Kemper end) to have a latching connector, so it can be done. But I would be scared to mod something like that. Design oversight imho. They probably didn't think about it when they first created the Kemper. But at least they can put in those latching connectors now, I'm sure no one would complain about it.

• IIRC, someone modded their Remote (or was it the Kemper end) to have a latching connector, so it can be done. But I would be scared to mod something like that. Design oversight imho. They probably didn't think about it when they first created the Kemper. But at least they can put in those latching connectors now, I'm sure no one would complain about it.

I remember that thread but couldn't find it. Pretty sure it was the Kemper end and I thought it was a separate unit that then connected that to the Kemper. Either way, yes it's do-able.

• Are you aware, that the Ethernet cable that comes with the Remote is latching and even has a Neutrik EtherCON connection on the Remote side?

I have never seen latching MIDI cables...

• It is definitely the most integrated solution, that's for sure. Dead simple to programme and pretty much foolproof. Kind of frustrating when you read about guys going on stage and then yanking that damn non-latching cable out though.

that pretty much sums it up for me and Is why I would tend to along with 808illist comment about not finding a better alternative.

I use the Remote now but had an FCB1010 with Uno chip and still also have an RJM (which I love). The RJM is a brilliant midi controller and Ron’s support is honestly THE BEST I have ever encountered in any business. If I needed midi to control other parts of the system I would feel the Remote is pretty lacking compared to RJM or many of the other options. However, when only using the KPA as a stand-alone setup the ease of use and total integration makes the Remote unbeatable for my money.

• Are you aware, that the Ethernet cable that comes with the Remote is latching and even has a Neutrik EtherCON connection on the Remote side?

I have never seen latching MIDI cables...

@Burkhard, i’m just basing this on the statements by some Remote users that they lost connection on stage. It would be great to have the latching type jack on the Kemper end as well. More than three at least, and a feature request for the same type of jack on the Remote on the Kemper as well.

As far as latching midi cables, they don’t need to be. They are pretty much stuck in the Kemper once inserted and you have to make some effort to get them out. They won’t slide off at any rate.

I know, if there’s a latching jack on the Kemper side, users will complain about how they tripped on the cable and the Kemper came crashing down. Can’t win :)

• It's always better to build opinions based on own practical assessments instead of hearsay. :P

Industry standard Ethernet cables are latching and not falling off. These are used around the globe for networking and critical applications. However, if you pull these too strongly - for example stumbling over the cable on a busy stage - such cables could break and even latching plugs could loose connection. The same applies to MIDI cables, guitar cables, most power cables, .... MIDI plugs are not safe if somebody stumbles over the MIDI cable.

If you are touring and playing on big stages you will probably be using a rackmount PROFILER and it takes just one cable tie to fix the cable in the rack and protect the Ethernet plug latching in the back of the PROFILER against brute force. What is the issue? ^^

• It's always better to build opinions based on own practical assessments instead of hearsay. :P

Industry standard Ethernet cables are latching and not falling off. These are used around the globe for networking and critical applications. However, if you pull these too strongly - for example stumbling over the cable on a busy stage - such cables could break and even latching plugs could loose connection. The same applies to MIDI cables, guitar cables, most power cables, .... MIDI plugs are not safe if somebody stumbles over the MIDI cable.

If you are touring and playing on big stages you will probably be using a rackmount PROFILER and it takes just one cable tie to fix the cable in the rack and protect the Ethernet plug latching in the back of the PROFILER against brute force. What is the issue? ^^

No issue at all, Burkhard. This is just something I've read posted on the forum as a feature request. No experience with this issue myself. I hear you on the hearsay ;)