Hard noise when unplug the guitar cable

• Hi to all,
    I notice an hard high noise when I unplug the guitar cable from the Kemper. As exactly the same noise when I unplug the cable from the guitar side.
    Someone can explain me why? Thanks!!
    Leonardo

• Does nobody has this problem?

It's normal.

Before you make the connection, there may be a slight charge on either (or both) of these capacitors such that the dc voltage at either the guitar output or the amplifier input is not exactly zero. When you make the connection, this voltage difference has to disappear, and it does so with something like a thump or a click or a pop.

Turn down your volumes or plug and unplug when it's off. ;)

• Hello Priami,
    you can use a silent plug. Just replace the plug on the „instrument side“ of your guitarcable. It works perfect!

https://www.thomann.de/de/neut…2yqgD_EAQYAiABEgIc-PD_BwE

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manson DR1 Matthew Bellamy Signature Guitar, Music Man Axis Sport, Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele, Fender 52 American Vintage Reissue Tele 2011, Fender 69 American Vintage Reissue Thinline Tele 2011, Gibson 2015 Les Paul Special doublecut, Gibson Les Paul Junior DC, Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic Frank Iero Signature, LTD 8-String Guitar, tbc. ;)

• Try doing it at higher volume, even on a lower gain amp. There'll definitely be a pop sound when you pull the jack out. Now imagine that being miced up and fed into a PA. Disaster!

You are missing the point. We can agree that there is always some kind of pop noise when unplugging the cable from the input of a tube amp or other device.
    But let's compare 2 situations:

1) Fender Deluxe Reverb at 10: unplug the cable from the input -> soft pop noise
    2) Kemper with a similar profile into a DXR10 (set to a volume to match the Fender at 10) -> pretty loud pop noise

It is irrelevant if the Fender is miced and played through a hugh PA, or if the Kemper is played through a hugh PA. What counts is the signal to pop-noise ratio which is definitively much worst on the Kemper compared to any well serviced tube amp I had. It is comparable to a tube amp with grounding issues in my opinion.

I love my Kemper, it is ok that it is not perfect. It is still a great tool. Do I unplug the cable form my (miced) tube amp: yes. Do I do that with my Kemper: absolutely no.

Instead of arguing against the observation of @Priami everybody could be curious and test it, compare and measure the results....who knows, maybe the input of the Kemper could be improved and we all could benefit from not blowing up the PA when we (accidentally) unplug the cable.

• Like any computer, the Kemper should NOT be switched off by turning off the mains. There's a knob for that purpose. You risk damaging it by doing so.

It is no problem at all to switch off the Profiler by the mains. No damage will occur, as it wouldnˋt to all professional studio or live equipment.

• It is no problem at all to switch off the Profiler by the mains. No damage will occur, as it wouldnˋt to all professional studio or live equipment.

Ooops :) Thanks, @ckemper

That said, this from Timo some time ago:

the duration of the check depends on the previous actions done. you can't tell. I've seen up to 30 seconds in rare (really rare) cases.
    Since I wrote the shutdown procedure code, I recommend using the chickenhead whenever possible.

Also, as far as that whump sound, that will not occur if you shut down using the chicken head knob.

As with all audio equipment, turn on your speakers last after turning on everything else. And when turning off, do it in reverse, i.e. speakers first.

• Instead of arguing against the observation of @Priami everybody could be curious and test it, compare and measure the results....who knows, maybe the input of the Kemper could be improved and we all could benefit from not blowing up the PA when we (accidentally) unplug the cable.

This is the problem. All teach that before disconnecting the cable from the guitar side it must be removed from the amplifier. In the case of Kemper it is exactly the same thing and exactly the same noise is obtained. Which does not happen with all the other "normal" amplifiers. So I think something is different in the management of the signal and the masses.

• I really hate to be the guy poo-pooing your issue...but your problem is that if you unplug your guitar with the KPA on, there is a noise...?

I have never, ever (well...maybe back in the old days...) plugged in or out of an amp when it was on (and mic'd to the P.A.). Good way to not get invited back to the venue. Always standby, then plug/unplug. I do the same with the KPA. Because I'd have to be insane not to when running to the P.A. (or I'd have to be itching for a fight with the soundguy, and I put a lot of effort in just to be on good terms, hahaha).

I do understand your post...and I understand your concerns, and they may be valid.

But just turn that chicken-head, please. :)

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Ok, I have turned my chicken-head. Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, of course the better way to unplug guitar cable is to put in stand-by the amplifier. Point 1) the Kemper doesn't has the stand-by switch. First question: the tuner mode (selected by the remote) in mute mode can be considered as "equivalent" to a valve amp "stand-by" mode? Or the "electrical discharge" that create the noise still happen (and it can cause internal damages) without go out to the monitor/PA out?

Point 2) however, in the most classical amplifier, disconnect the guitar cable (without put it in stand-by mode) from guitar side generates a very high noise, unplug the cable directly from the input jack generates very low noise. In the Kemper we have the same high level noise in both case. My question still is: is it normal to have this behaviour? If the answer is "yes", then ok. I will not still bore you.

• Ok, I have turned my chicken-head. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Yes, of course the better way to unplug guitar cable is to put in stand-by the amplifier.

Point 1) the Kemper doesn't has the stand-by switch.

Right...and I'd guess not very many of your other amps have a switch that turns on the tuner while muting the outputs. Seems to me like they are one and the same, as far as practical function.

Point 2) however, in the most classical amplifier, disconnect the guitar cable (without put it in stand-by mode) from guitar side generates a very high noise, unplug the cable directly from the input jack generates very low noise. In the Kemper we have the same high level noise in both case. My question still is: is it normal to have this behaviour? If the answer is "yes", then ok. I will not still bore you.

I have absolutely no idea...but CKemper has replied to this thread, hopefully he would have said something if your issue was not normal.

In the interest of fairness, I don't know if I have the same issue. The cable is quite noisey when switching instruments, but not excessively so, IMO.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.