How about an editor?

• @fredrikn see this is this thing, different needs. I've done both, rig manager is undoubtedly the preferred way of transferring rigs, but in all honesty I haven't done this for a long time, I have a few performances set up for different bands and a few for home, probably using 10 or so profiles and that does me, I just use the KPA as a normal head, but with the convenience of not having to mic it at gigs.

Regarding using a computer for the delay set up, 99% of the time I would find it more convenient to use the built in interface than faffing with an editor and computers/cables/chargers/windows updates etc just to change the odd setting. Perhaps this is for personal reasons because I use computers all day at work and can't wait to get away from them at night, but unless a heavy evening of some serious editing was planned I don't think I would have a problem using the built in interface!

But I can see the convenience if the KPA is in a studio where it rarely moves and is permanently hooked up and is a major part of the workflow.

Just different uses and different requiements, but I still don't understand the passionate need for an editor that drives some users to be rude to other users, Kemper as a company and C.Kemper personally on this forum.

• I have said before on here, and on a Kemper facebook page. Surely you buy a product for 'what it is now?', and 'not' what you 'assume, want, insist', it may become in the future?
    You bought it for what it does today? I agree with another poster(s) if you prefer another product's set up/way of working etc, then buy one of those. Don't expect kemper to conform with your wishes or desires.

There really does seem to be an attitude on the internet, that Kemper should match features with its market competitors. It is what it is, and regardless of how long it has not progressed, technically, to your desires, then so what?

If you go out with a woman, do you try & turn her into a carbon copy of some other woman? If she does not perform in all aspects to your needs, you change her for one that does, not attempt to make her reinvent herself. (PS, if you do 'do' the latter, that's called 'control', and it's not a good trait to have)

A Kemper is along those very lines. It's perfect at what it does, but if some aspects don't suit you, then find a solution that does.

For the record, I'm not someone who protects a product's reputation, or defends all opposition, just because it's an XYZ, in this instance a 'Kemper', I simply see somethings merits if it's deserving of such.

• I very much look forward to the day when Kemper finally implement an editor; everyone likes to use electronic equipment in different ways. I’m not a massive tweaker - I am far too lazy for that. For me, it would be about easy effects chains that you can save independently so as users could share effects chains as well as rigs on the exchange. I think this would add another dimension to things. I entirely understand that for others it’s not needed and for others still who absolutely love to tweak that a big screen is easier than a small screen...... I’ve enough years here to remember folks saying that no computer interface like rig manager was necessary but guess what? Everyone finds it easier to use rig manager than when we had no choice but loading new rigs onto a usb stick. Once an official editor is out, I’ll bet it will find fans who didn’t think they wanted it :)

Having said all of that, the device makes me smile lots without it; it’s a brilliant piece of kit as is and for me, the editor would be more icing on an already excellent cake as opposed to life and death. But this is for the way I like to use it - everyone is different :)

• @Gary_W i’ll buy that! While I’m one of those folks that doesn’t see a massive need for an editor and am quite happy with changing delay settings etc on multiple screens. However, I also know that if/when one does finaly come along I am sure I will find a use for some of its features.

I think the key to whole issue just now is that the KPA works for me as it is and any improvements will definitely be icing on that already very tasty cake. However, like Apple, Kemper clearly had a vision at outset which was different from everyone else’s. As you can never please all of the people all of the time, the only sensible thing for a company like Kemper to do is stick to its vision instead of trying to be all things to everyone. Obviously any sensible business should listen to its customers but it should still stick to its vision when implementing developments.

I definitely don’t want to stand in the way of progress butt I’m not losing any sleep in the meantime.

• A very polarized conversation has stayed civil on the internet? Whoa. (lol)

I`ll bring up Eventide again for two examples that pertain here. Regarding the editor for the H9, there were, as I mentioned before, people all bent out of shape over there being no android version of it. There was a Mac, iOS and Windows version that worked just fine, but some people were just compelled to get on a soapbox and cluck away about it, going so far as to Accuse Eventide of doing it on purpose. There were people on the forum that would come on and say along the lines of "if you don`t get us the android app I`m going to sell this thing and buy a strymon". Eventually Eventide admins came along and told those folks "haul your ass. Here`s a link to the for sale section". They don`t need every person who ever considered owing an H9 to buy one, nor are they expecting such.

The second example with them is directly connected to C. Kemper. I was at NAMM two years ago and I had stopped by the Kemper booth after playing though a friends`device over the summer prior. There is a very specific tone I heard on an album and I wanted to be able to recreate it...ah that`s superfluous. I`ll get to it. I spoke with those guys for a long while about what it does and doesn`t do, and I told the man himself that I really love the way the KPA sounds but I had invested substantial effort into getting my stereo rig set up with the Eventide at the center of it. He says "the kemper effects loop can be set up in stereo. It`s not official, and it`s a workaround, but it can be done" (this was before they made an official stereo update). I waffled a little bit and mentioned my attachment to the Eventide harmonizer. He says "ours has a harmonizer, too". I reply, touting the legendary sound of eventide harmonizers and he says "Eventide sure does make wonderful sounds. Ours sounds good,too, but that`s not what you`re buying it for. You`re buying it for the same reason you got your Eventide. Because it does what it does better than anyone else".

The point is that we buy these things for the way they sound. The KPA is a stunning champion in that regard. We measure a thing`s value on however many merits apply to it, and if the convenience of a fancy app to edit the device outweighs the quality of it`s sound for some people, fine. The KPA just isn`t for them. It doesn`t make them foolish or bull headed, it just makes them (very) differently motivated than I am.

(incidentally, the only experience I have with the Fractal was at likely the biggest show of my career, performing with the guy in my avatar pic. It totally freaked out and wouldn`t load the proper presets and I ended up having to use the house rig. I got it done but it was a bruise on what should have been the ultimate gig of all time)

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• It's like the mole game. Kemper knocks it on the head, another pops up and we express the same wishes and sentiments all over again.

The last mole lasted 77 pages despite some folks' best efforts to avert its closure. I gave up on page 74 as the inevitable conclusion loomed. Landmark occasion for me as I decided there and then that my hitherto efforts at keeping threads alive would cease. Not worth the pain.

The Boss Mole's Writing on the Wall

• embarrassing ........ nothing else. Like the 1980s 19" effects, turning knobs, holding switches ...... and with better display back in the 1980s! My 100,- EUR printer got a better display ...... touch display!

• To be fair, the displays in the '80s didn't have the sophistication or resolution that the Kemper's has, ACY.

Back then, they were alphanumeric, meaning that they could only display letters, numbers, and in some cases "symbols" that utilised components of the standard "8" (a square-edged version of an 8, such as most would be familiar with on clock radios).

The displays had fixed paths for current to flow through; light consequently emanated from these predetermined positions. This setup meant that you'd usually be limited to a maximum of 16 (usually 1 line) or 32 (2 lines) characters.

Also, this meant that all letters and numbers could only be displayed in 1 size and 1 "font".

Those are some serious limitations when compared to the Kemper's selectable-colour, multi-font (anything Kemper cares to use), graphics-capable display.

• embarrassing ........ nothing else. Like the 1980s 19" effects, turning knobs, holding switches ...... and with better display back in the 1980s! My 100,- EUR printer got a better display ...... touch display!

I have a FAMC Liquid Tracks LT100 which I use with my Kemper. It's a MIDI and audio player and allows a degree of automation, clever switching with triggered samples. It's a 1U rack and is pretty straightforward but compared to the massively sophisticated Kemper is an absolute bitch to program. Naming and saving presets is a massive pain. Neither have editors but the LT100 is the one that I struggle with more.

I fully understand the convenience of having an editor for the KPA but I actually appreciate knowing my way around the controls as it allows me to tweak stuff when in my band without relying on an editor.

• Just got my new midi interface, ........ and so I got an editor working now, thanks to Damian! (beer will come) Went for the ESI MIDIMATE EX, giving me, what´s needed for the Toast Me editor.

hmmm ....... one single man without support from company builds ........ an editor! The company itself is not even answering questions about a possible coming editor from the company!

Others would think this is a bit strange ......... ? ha ha ha .......

• It seems a common thing. I'll again reference the H&K Grandmeister amps. Badass device and stunningly versatile for a single tube amp but all of that flexibility is useless without some sort of way to interface with it and H&K never made an editor. The one that's out was born very similarly to ToastME. Same platform and some dude just took it on himself to create it.

• It seems a common thing. I'll again reference the H&K Grandmeister amps. Badass device and stunningly versatile for a single tube amp but all of that flexibility is useless without some sort of way to interface with it and H&K never made an editor. The one that's out was born very similarly to ToastME. Same platform and some dude just took it on himself to create it.

I suppose the difference is that the Kemper isn’t useless without an editor. It’s actually a pretty slick and intuitive hardware interface with full access to all functionality. Would an editor be useful for some things? Of course. Can I still achieve everything I want to without an editor? So far, yes.

I’m not trying to be a Luddite and say we don’t need an editor just that it would be a nice to have rather than need to have for me and the KPA certainly isn’t useless without one ;)

• I would say that for professional workflow as studios, producers, ........ an editor is a must. But not only for these, also for any kind of musicians that are deep in sound finding.

Yes, you can use a screwdriver to screw some dozens of screws. But may be you´ll get some skin bubbles by that. Some battery screwdriver would be some better choice here.

Kemper is offering plenty of options, as switching cabinets, and specially the IR options are very interesting when recording with the Kemper. But ....... without an editor checking out some dozens (or even more) of IRs with one amp, that´s a pain in the ass, sorry for that. Pressing, turning, ......... again and again and again, ......

No, that is far from being comfortable, and also far from being professional. I always grin when thinking about the biggest names of studio masters, using best gear posiible, like all the modern mixing desks, with big monitors ........ but, then ......... : Ups, we need some other IRs on that Kemper thing .......

rollin rollin rollin ........... ha ha ...... ! That´s like using the DeLorean DC12 and ........ wham .......... back to the future ..... no, back to the past to turning knobs and color tint one color displays.

Kemper company should change their strategy, and give the users more infos. Tell the users if there will be an editor ...... or not. But no info at all about that, sorry, I find this behaviour some king of lordly.

Just my personal opinion.

• I shop the difference is that the Kemper isn’t useless without an editor. It’s actually a pretty slick and intuitive hardware interface with full access to all functionality. Would an editor be useful for some things? Of course. Can I still achieve everything I want to without an editor? So far, yes.
    I’m not trying to be a Luddite and say we don’t need an editor just that it would be a nice to have rather than need to have for me and the KPA certainly isn’t useless without one ;)

For sure, I missed the mark but that is the point I was getting at. We are lucky in that the KPA is pretty easy to get around with sans editor whereas the H&K is most definitely not. TBH I rarely use ToastME even though it's connected at all times.

Hook up your guitar to your printer then. I am sure you will get better tone.

• Hook up your guitar to your printer then. I am sure you will get better tone.

Oh I laughed. Right out loud.

I had the legendary Digitech 2101LE back in the day. Three of them, actually. The display....well, I'll just go on record saying it was not better than my KPA. :D