Volume loss / Dynamic issue

• Hi there!

I've been using Kemper (non-powered rack-version) for about one year now, and there's one problem that still makes me crazy. :wacko:

The issue is:

For example: When I play some classic hard rock riffs with medium gain (MBbritt JCM800 or ANY OTHER profile) with only one string, like solos or some GNR welcome to the jungle style riffing and then change to two- or more-string chord-playing, I get about 3db volume loss in my playing (I recorded and measured it with Pro Tools). Volume is fine with one string riffing and solos, but when I strum chords I get the volume loss. It sounds like a compressor or limiter, which reduces the volume when strumming chords.

This happens when I use the same profile and use the same picking dynamics on both playing styles. Is this normal behaviour of the Kemper? 8|

With clean-only sounds, there's not this issue. I know that amp's overdrive compresses the signal a bit, but isn't -3db too much?

I've checked Kemper's input and output volumes and clean sens. There's no clipping, everything is fine. All volumes and compressors are "0" at the amp and cab sections. No effects, just the amp. I've tried both my Les Paul and Strat and different cables for guitars and outputs.

There's the same issue with studio and live (Kemper main or monitor out to stage-monitor) setup.

I would appreciate any help from you! ^^

-Caleb

• Here's a link for the example clip: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mde…QR6l6e8usWyUR4PZmIba?dl=0

There's also a picture from the Pro tools track, which shows the difference in dynamics / volume between "verse" and "chorus". I played the chorus as hard as the verse line, so I just can't find out why is it quieter…?

Guitar is Gibson Les Paul with these pickups (Alnico V): https://www.bareknucklepickups…ckup/humbucker/black-hawk

Before Kemper, I used Suhr Reactive Load with cab IR's and never had such an issue…. ?(

• Congratulations, you have discovered the interactive Dynamics of a tube amp!

The volume differences are not an issue, but a feature.
    Do you hear a flaw in the audio?
    If not, then trust your ears and don‘t analyse by eye on your DAW, as this often leads to missconception :)

3 dB difference is a nice thing. You could even increase the dynamic effect by turning up Power Sagging.

CK

• I've been playing real tube amps (JCM800 for example) more than ten years before Kemper and never noticed or heard this much compression or volume difference. So yes, I'm trusting my ears here.

Maybe I should try to learn more how the power sagging knob affects the dynamics.....

Thanks for your help!

• I found the way!! I had same problem and been trying and reading till I found it!!! ;D

If you experience that drop in volume when playing chord with distorted sound, go to the input section and turn distortion sens a bit up, and clean sens a bit down. Half db on each sens made it for me, but find the balance with your guitar.

Power sagging also afects, but more subtle. Turning it up help me a bit to hear distortions a bit fuller, I think...

Hope this helps!