Secret sauce ? IR and EQ

• Ok finally i'll try to improve my live sound ... powered kemper through passive atomic CLR

I always used RIG from vendors straight from the box without any tweaking (except for FX) ... Topjimi's are my main sounds (friedman SS and his bogner uberschall)

Now i'm gonna take the plunge and start experimenting with different cabs

Also probably a high cut filter to tame the harshness when playing cranked !

So which cabs to try ? play mostly rock/metal 4x12 kinda stuff ...

What's the best freq to start cutting the highs ?

Thanks guys !

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Live, I wouldn't worry about cutting the highs. You're probably looking at the sound in isolation, but in a mix, it would just kill a lot of your sparkle. But you could use a low cut to make sure that your mix doesn't get muddy. You could also try a little dip in the frequencies where you perceive too much harshness, usually in the 3k-6k region by my reckoning. But don't cut excessively, or you'll hollow out your tone, even a db will make a big impact.

I'd also suggest doing this at band practice rather than in isolation. You may just be overanalysing in isolation.

As far as cabs, I would try swapping out the ones from profiles you like into amps that you think you would like. Sometimes, this drastically improves the profiles, because a lot of the tone is baked into the cab section. I really like Till's cabs, he had some good ones. You could also try the usual suspects like Lasse Lammert, Michael Britt, Sinmix, Choptones, Deadlightstudio, et al. Never know what pairing would work.

• ... and don't forget Guidos cabs!
    One of his Bogner 4x12SL cabs are my to go when playing live with our Yamaha DXR based PA.
    Where many cabs either sound too bright/harsh or boxy this one sounds and feels great.

• ... and don't forget Guidos cabs!
    One of his Bogner 4x12SL cabs are my to go when playing live with our Yamaha DXR based PA.
    Where many cabs either sound too bright/harsh or boxy this one sounds and feels great.

Are these in on of his free rig packs ?

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Guido don't seem to reuse cabs between profiles so everyone sounds slightly different even if he's been using the same real speaker.
    I have stored 4 cabs from that particular 4x12SL from the collection I've bought from him.
    But there are 5 rigs in the Rig Pack that are done with that speaker. Try it out and see if You like some of them it.

• With my CLR I cut at 10K and above - takes away the nasty fizz and makes it much more enjoyable to play!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• I have my hearing tested annually - my left ear is about 20% better than my right. I realised it is my right ear that has faced a full stack for 20 years...and my left ear must have been 'protected' by my big fat head!!

For the fizz, its only for very high gain VH4 profiles - I hear it in my Adam S3A monitors too. Clean tones I don't usually do anything. Not a problem when running a DI profile through a cabinet because of the natural roll off - but with monitors it grates on me!

My own VH4 profiles and the Sinmix VH4 (which are MUCH better than mine!) both have a lot of information at 10K with my guitars - but interestingly - my actual VH4 into OX with the same guitars does not...and top end sparkle is not something I would associate with a VH4 at all!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Hiya, you can use the 'studio eq' in one of the slots...once selected, scroll right using the page button, until you see the page that says 'low cut/ high cut' in the bottom left hand side, and then use the knobs directly below each frequency to select what you want to do :)