The 'Foundational Sonics of the KPA' thread (officially sanctioned by CK)

• Does anyone else think a direct mix parameter in the Amp section would be beneficial (for improving the feel & touch of the distorted tones)? I have used direct mix on some of my stomp distortions to very good results (a little bit seems to beef up the tones and the attacks).

All modelers known to man 8o

Edited 2 times, last by Radley ().

• Radley,

Since you are still not happy with your pick sound and attack on the KPA, please post an A/B comparison of a real amp and profile, where this lack is revealed.

If you only find your perfect sound with modeling amps, then it's a different story, but you should stand by it.
    Don't blame the KPA for not profiling modeling amps. Just use modeling amps instead.

• Radley,

Since you are still not happy with your pick sound and attack on the KPA, please post an A/B comparison of a real amp and profile, where this lack is revealed.

If you only find your perfect sound with modeling amps, then it's a different story, but you should stand by it.
    Don't blame the KPA for not profiling modeling amps. Just use modeling amps instead.

Mr. Kemper - This is the part where we lose each other. I'm saying that I'm getting some *very nice* results by profiling my modeling gear and modded preamps. Yes, I believe the attack phase of your distortion modeling engine is not quite amplike yet, but I am happy to be 'riding the KPA wave' to see what develops, because I have confidence in you and Kemper.

I will give consideration to posting such a comparison, though it is a bit of a hassle at the present time because of house remodeling and sonic tweaking for the upcoming tours. (All this tweaking will determine what equipment does the next set of tours with me). If so, will you assure me you will truly listen to it, especially the subtleties of string attack and connectivity? I must tell you that you are the first person to try and talk me out of using your gear....life is strange.... 8o

• Radley,

Agreed!

Why spend so much energy whining & complaining if you can't post specific examples to support your position?

It seems to me that the amount of time you spent typing complaints about the "distortion characteristics", "pick sound/attack" etc., could have been used to post clips so others could understand your viewpoints as well. That would truly be helping the community.

Makes no sense to me.

• I do much more than 'type complaints' - I try to describe the sonics in detail in hopes of communicating on a deeper level (a concept level) about what is happening sonically that is not on the same 'par' with the analog compliment we attain to. If & when I ever come to the point where I feel I am hopelessly 'treading upstream' I will sell my Kemper and never look back - but I believe we all know that this is just the tip of the iceburg. 'The genie is out of the bottle', and a new race is on - I (and most others) will naturally gravitate to whatever product/company seems most willing to make it real sounding and feeling.

• One of the things I gather is that you have stated you think the axe fx sounds more realer no? For me I don't feel that way, in fact the more I hear clips the more I am convinced that fractals box sounds quite processed in comparison. So if that has been your better benchmark, I am not sure the Kemper will ever be a fit for you sonically Radley. There does come a point when we just need to stop typing and trying to "help" a company and just use what works. Not everyone Is fonna jive with everything. For me, I hear much much more realism and raw amp sound from Kemper. I hear over processed and not realistic sounds from axe. So we obviously prefer different sounds Who's right? Both. Cause we just need to use what we want to use and what makes us happy.

To me I have to hear recorded clips to make judgments. We can talk about characteristics all we want but that doesn't help anyone in the end. Never. There has to be evidence Possible post a clip of u playi g through your favorite axe patch. Then through your fav Kemper patch and let's talk about the difference you like and why.

• For me, I hear much much more realism and raw amp sound from Kemper.

I would have to agree, it's not perfect but this is what I hear in the Kemper. The Axe-Fx sounded like a higher quality version of a Pod IMO, it was like a major improvement on an industry standard but over-processed tones and typical modeler compression is what I got out of the Axe-Fx, there was no raw reality and I have yet to hear any clip that gets there. I will say it was better than the rest of the hardware modelers I tried but it still wasn't what many men were looking for.

• Yeah I think the benchmark should go back to Amps
    Ad in kempers case how the mics are hearing the amp. Most Amps don't sound amazing an hyped right out of the gate with a micd up amp. However in the mix and part of the song structure it's these raw, real qualities and anomalies that end up sitting so well and being more pleasing to the ear. Amp distortion often isn't smooth or perfect Or idealized. But it's Alive and raw and what ha worked best So while not perfect, the Kemper has sounded the most analog out I any direct Box I have used or heard. Dynamics are often minimized once a mic that adds its own compression is stuck in front of a cab. Trying to get dynamics from a single 57 is kinda hard to.

Side by side Kemper has pretty well replicated the amp sounds in blind listening tests. This alone should dictate that the Kemper can be very amp like when talki g about recordings. Not all may find they actually like or prefer a raw amp sound. But for me in countless listening of mixes, clips, etc. I will say the Kemper has sounded the best an most realistic thus far from any device. I would give the 11 rack the nod for second most realistic. Then the axe 3rd. That is how I hear things and my own opinion.

• Yeah I think the benchmark should go back to Amps
    Ad in kempers case how the mics are hearing the amp. Most Amps don't sound amazing an hyped right out of the gate with a micd up amp. However in the mix and part of the song structure it's these raw, real qualities and anomalies that end up sitting so well and being more pleasing to the ear. Amp distortion often isn't smooth or perfect Or idealized. But it's Alive and raw and what ha worked best So while not perfect, the Kemper has sounded the most analog out I any direct Box I have used or heard. Dynamics are often minimized once a mic that adds its own compression is stuck in front of a cab.

Side by side Kemper has pretty well replicated the amp sounds in blind listening tests. This alone should dictate that the Kemper can be very amp like when talki g about recordings. Not all may find they actually like or prefer a raw amp sound. But for me in countless listening of mixes, clips, etc. I will say the Kemper has sounded the best an most realistic thus far from any device. I would give the 11 rack the nod for second most realistic. Then the axe 3rd. That is how I hear things and my own opinion.

I agree. Kemper sounds the best to me. I wouldn't set a rating up beyond what I like best. I just don't use what I don't like. This works out when what you do like is in your price range...

I understand what it's like to deal with a piece of gear which is very close to what you want and just a little something might make it perfect.

I hope Radley get's a chance to record some examples when the circumstances allow. Words only go so far to describe something which is audio in nature, thus maybe audio examples would put it in the best "language" for comment or review. I think it's easier to quantify when the characteristic is reviewed literally and not figuratively. ;)

• I hope no one has the impression I bought my Kemper to make it sound like an AFX, Pod, or Boss GT - I kept it *because* it sounds & operates differently and adds more colors to my 'sonic palette', and yes, it has a very amplike tone. 8)

I still wish this thread had been deleted....it has apparently become 'the thread that would not die'. :whistling:

• At least it's me having the impression that you want to make it sound like a synthesized amp.
    In weeks you have not proven that this is not the case.

And the tread will go on as long as you state on other forums that you get no help or understanding by me or the "fanboys"

Quote: "My comments on the Kemper board could be very valuable if the right ears were listening"
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…-matching-preview-48.html

How could I evaluate your problem based on your diffuse comments, answers and lack of sound examples.
    I try to listen but I cannot hear you.

We are wasting our time

CK

• Christoph,

I am definitely not here to waste your time (I know you are a very busy man), and hopefully you are not here to bully me or anyone else who has shared similar thoughts. In the next few days, I will provide the sample/comparison you have requested - I hope that it will be helpful, and show that I also am trying to be helpful in my words and actions.

Another tasty player on the board here (Bill Rupert) has also stated that the KPA does an excellent job of profiling other modelers and preamps - I see this as a good thing! Not quite sure why this would be offensive.... It is quite possible we have a bit of a language barrier adding complexity to the mix of ideas. (but the barrier would be far worse if we tried to communicate in German!) 8o

Cheers,
    Hadley Hockensmith

• YES, YES, YES
    "KPA does an excellent job of profiling other modelers and pre-amps"
    I stand by that, its true.
    As well as amps mic up.
    I am so thrilled with the Kemper I cant believe it.

Many problems with modeling other modeling gear is from user problems.
    Noise gates and compressors must be off!
    That includes reverb and effects.
    This may sound very obvious to most of us, but I am very sure there are people profiling their gear with effects full on.
    This sends the poor Kemper into complete confusion.

I find the Kemper is one of the best tone tool I have owned in 30 years of being a studio musician.
    (PS I have owned EVERYTHING else...)
    Bill

• Wow Bill - You should engage your PM capabilities on this board.... no way to communicate bro! ;(

I believe between you and myself, we have owned every guitar processor known to mankind! 8o8o8o

• It is quite possible we have a bit of a language barrier adding complexity to the mix of ideas. (but the barrier would be far worse if we tried to communicate in German!) 8o

LOL. Sure, blame it on the language!!! It is good that you accepted at last to make the sound example. Why use one thousands words to describe it and take the time to write so many post about it here and in other places while you can take 5 minutes to record a clip that demonstrates it.

This is what CK and other users has been telling you to do since the beginning so he could look into it. I don`t think he could be more helpful than that. If you can demonstrate what you are claiming, I am sure it will be taken care of and you will be at the end making a favor to all of us.

• PS: I understand 'Hockensmith' is a German name, which means 'the maker of garden tools' (I like that). 'Hadley' is English, and it literally means 'from the Heath Forest' - maybe that's why I smell so good? 8o

• LOL. Sure, blame it on the language!!! It is good that you accepted at last to make the sound example. Why use one thousands words to describe it and take the time to write so many post about it here and in other places while you can take 5 minutes to record a clip that demonstrates it.

This is what CK and other users has been telling you to do since the beginning so he could look into it. I don`t think he could be more helpful than that. If you can demonstrate what you are claiming, I am sure it will be taken care of and you will be at the end making a favor to all of us.

MadH - Please relax.... I am not the enemy! I am doing what Mr. Kemper has asked of me (although at first I felt it was unnecessary). I will do a whatever I can to make this a better platform for great amp sounds, as I also do on any other user boards I frequent.