Kemper users are tone chasers Who tune his guitar 1/2 step down in Eb like Hendrix?

• Standard tuning. And tone is largely in your fingers, so you may play somebody else's guitar and amp and sound different. Check up some recording of yours when you were learning and the awful sound was more in your fingers than in your cheesy rig. Some kids try out good amps in a shop and they cant understand why they sound bad. The first lesson is to realize you sound bad and understand where the problem is. We've been there! And, besides, many of us listen to others and believe they have a tone we don't so we are tone-searching endlessly, and the curious thing is the other guy may feel the same about our tone and envy it.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Well the advantage I see with it is to face thoses keys Eb (you play in E) , Ab (You play in A) , F# (you play in G) B (you play in C) , C# (you play in D) So I definitely will keep ONE guitar 1/2 tone lower (Just one not the others) and the next time the band have to play a chart in Bmajor I will say cool no prob...

• After 20 odd years of playing in E. I dropped to Eb about a year ago. Singer finds it easier to soar, I find it easier to bend...and I dont have to retune to play along with 99% of the bands/guitarists I like listening to!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Eb for years. I don't like tense strings, also it tames the treble a bit.

Sterling Musicman JP150, Fender USA Strat
    Kemper Powerhead & Remote > ElectroVoice ZLX12-P | Palmer 1x12 Cab(G12M) | Sennheiser HD558
    Audient iD14 > Reaper

• Many of my guitars are in Eflat, but few are in drop C and C Sharp. For the modern metal tone, Drop tuning is a must, so yes guitar tuning, string type and gauge will contribute significantly to the resulting sound, more so than other factors such as guitar bridge, or type of nut Etc.

• I play standard unless for some reason there is a requirement to change it. I’m not a tone chaser, I just pick tones that fit my mood at the moment. When I do want something different, I don’t like to waste endless hours trying to find what I am needing.

Tone is not in your fingers, your style is. You choose amps and effects that suit or enhance your style. If you play the same stuff over and over, you don’t need much. You pick a limited amount of things to get you there. If you are an endless experimenter you go through everything new that comes along not because you need to but because you like to. If you feel you are always missing something, perhaps you just can’t decide what type of player you are.

I pick amps that best cover how I like to play. I don’t like distortion pedals so I don’t use them. A good amp usually has all you need. My style and the way I play is the same on anyone’s guitar or amp. I don’t sound any different I always sound like me. Better gear just makes things easy and is more inspiring because I have have more time playing and don’t have to keep a junk guitar in tune or stop a cheapo amp from endless feedback or trying to program the launch of a space shuttle.

I have several tube amps, and a Kemper. I don’t buy new amps because my current one is missing anything, I buy them because I like amps. Some people have more than one car, not because their old one drives bad, but because they like or need another car. Same idea.

I have the Kemper simply for convenience. It’s small and light. Easy to carry around and simple to use, great for a daw. It doesn’t replace my desire for tube amps or give a better tone, it’s just a great way to get around without needing a moving truck and a strong back to get somewhere and get playing.

I have about 13 guitars. I don’t need that many, I just build my own guitars and find it interesting to come up with new designs.

• Guitars like stability so I set them up for that. 3 resonators tuned open G, D, E.
    A 5 string Cello Blaster tuned BEADG for baritone work. My Variax Acoustic has several tuning including a E minor gut string tuning.
    3 electrics open G, E and drop D. Standard tuning guitars 80% of the time. No 12 strings thank you but Leo Kottke is fearless.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.