Kemper Reamping

• Hello guys!

I'm having problems with reamping through kemper. I routed one of my Uad Apollo Twin analog outpu to return input of the Kemper then i switched the input to return input Reamp.

In logic i set up the output of the DI track to be the exact same as the one which goes to kemper's return input. All i hear is di through kemper (the input/output leds are working so it means the sound passes through) but no wet sound.

What am i missing?

Thanks!

• Which output of the Profiler do you use to get the signal back to your apollo?
    Have you already checked the output settings in the output menu?
    Maybe you have assigned a di signal like the setting "Git Studio" to the corresponding output.?

• Now i'm getting sound when I'm using Main output as Master or Stack but the sound is full of noise especially on palm mutes. It is really bad almost i cannot listen to the tracks

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• sounds like a wrong routing in the apollo software and / or the DAW, you get a feedback into the Profiler.

For reamping a sound make sure to chose Master Mono / Stereo to get the sound of the complete signal chain.
    Git Studio offers you to record a Di signal of your guitar.

• Looks like you try to make that reamping too fast like SNAP !!! Kemper is not a plug in!!! Personally I replay everything instead of re-amping. But lets forget that, lets say that I want to reamp many traks... I'd first export them ... in a folder Then instead of using Kemper as a plug in playing all the tracks at once , I'd open A NEW PROJECT in your daw. Then import a small amount of tracks .... then reamp them and save them... If you dont do that patiently one by one, youll get into trouble. But I repeat the best is to erase all those f tracks and replay it ... can you play? So prove it and play better than it was

• Amon, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly except, as Peter suggested, for the Kemper's processed output.

Check that you're monitoring the correct Kemper-output channel/s on your interface, and if you are, then check the Output Menu settings on the Kemper, making sure that the processed signal's going to where you'd like it to.

• Amon, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly except, as Peter suggested, for the Kemper's processed output.

Check that you're monitoring the correct Kemper-output channel/s on your interface, and if you are, then check the Output Menu settings on the Kemper, making sure that the processed signal's going to where you'd like it to.

Fine Monkey man , but admit with me that Kemper is not a plug-in and must be used in a different manner than a wave plug in that you put on and off on your daw for instant result... thats my point and I insist on that

• Well, firstly your suggestion to Amon of creating a new project etc. won't solve his issue; it's a routing mistake IMHO.

Secondly, if you keep an empty track next to each of your guitar-DI tracks (set this and routing up in your template), reamping takes no more time than rendering a plugin in real time, which many folks do (as well as real-time bounces) 'cause they (and I) don't quite "trust" offline processes.

• Well, firstly your suggestion to Amon of creating a new project etc. won't solve his issue; it's a routing mistake IMHO.

Secondly, if you keep an empty track next to each of your guitar-DI tracks (set this and routing up in your template), reamping takes no more time than rendering a plugin in real time, which many folks do (as well as real-time bounces) 'cause they (and I) don't quite "trust" offline processes.

Well if the daw is loaded with a big project of 100 tracks it will help to simplify the procedure. Ex render the mix on two tracks (without the guitars) and work on a new project with the rough mix in stereo and all the guitar parts ready to re-amp. His trouble could be the fact that this project is too loaded. I was trying to simplify it for him, it could help

And well I am against re-amping PERSONALLY for my projects, only because you play differently when you choose a profile and this inter action is musical. So I'd prefer to play again all the tracks with the new profiles i choosed than use the Kemper as a vulgar plug ins... But this is my way of working and I understand every member got their own personnal way of working

• As others have said, it looks like you just need to set the KPA main output to one of the processed outputs rather than Guit/Studio. The specific choice will depend on whether you want to render a full Rig including effects or just the Amp and whther you want it in mono or stereo. Git/Studio is really the DI signal for allowing future reamping.

I would never dream of exporting everything to a new project or re playing everything. I use Logic too and simply hide all DI tracks once I have reamped. They are still there in the background so don't get in the way or clutter up the screen but can be used to reamp again later if required.

• Exactly on all counts, Alan.

Creating a separate project and a dummy 2-track mix is not only a bunch of extra work, but it prevents one from being able to make tweaks to the various channel levels and FX, VI patches, drum programming and song-arrangement decisions that affect one's Rig / Profile-choosing decision whilst reamping.

IOW, it would defeat the purpose, IMHO.

• Creating a separate project and a dummy 2-track mix is not only a bunch of extra work,

Wait a minute here, it depends on the situation... I am talking of a specific situation on ONE song where the CPU is loaded on a song wih 100 tracks more, tons of plug ins and there is one track of guitar you decided to re amp and the mix of the others are almost finished. ... so in that situation you render two tracks and then open a project import two track (the mix) and the guitar track (it takes 5 minutes its easy ) and then you experiment with different profiles you try everything you want , and when you got your ''magical profile'' recorded you import it in the big mix.

But now if we talk about reamping 15 songs with 10 guitar tracks on each its a different ball game of course . Its better then to stay in the original project

• Wait a minute here, it depends on the situation... I am talking of a specific situation on ONE song where the CPU is loaded on a song wih 100 tracks more, tons of plug ins and there is one track of guitar you decided to re amp and the mix of the others are almost finished. ...

Actually, that's not what you said, mate:

Well if the daw is loaded with a big project of 100 tracks it will help to simplify the procedure. Ex render the mix on two tracks (without the guitars) and work on a new project with the rough mix in stereo and all the guitar parts ready to re-amp.

This sure didn't sound like a single track to me. Does it sound that way to you?

Thank you for letting me know what you meant to say, bro'.

Now, even if we're only talking about one guitar track (it wouldn't matter how many really), here's the deal:

If you've got a 100-track project going (even if you don't), reamping a DI track uses virtually-no CPU cycles. The Kemper's doing all the work, after all.

The only issue one could possibly have that I can think of is that of hard-disk-streaming limitations. In this case, you'd simply mute / disable one track (that's all it'd take) in order to be able to add the remap-recording one. Done.

Even better, in the case of replacing existing Keperfied tracks, if you mute them as you reamp from their associated DI tracks, there's a ZERO net CPU-load increase. Nada. Zit.

But now if we talk about reamping 15 songs with 10 guitar tracks on each its a different ball game of course . Its better then to stay in the original project

Of course, we agree.

• I'm afraid not. I do use Logic Pro X but not the Apollo Twin - cheap 'n' cheerful ancient Focusrite Saffire here.

Listening to your sound clip it is definitely a routing feedback loop. If you are connected properly and using the right output settings then clearly it must be either Logic or the Interface. The Logic settings are straightforward so it sounds like a routing issue in the Apollo software. I usually use SPDIF so the routing sort of takes care of itself. However, I just tried it old skool and managed to recreate your issue on my system. If I have input enabled on both the sending track and the reamp receiving track I get a feed back loop when these are using the same input in the interface. Can you switch of input monitoring on one of the tracks in Logic or on the interface? Alternatively have the input of the channel sending the DI signal to reamp set to 1 and the receiving reamped signal to 2 that way the two signals can't create a loop.

As I said, I'm not familiar with Apollo specifically but the process should work on any interface/DAW.

Good luck.

• Unfortunately I don't know the Apollo interface.

However when I was debugging my setup it was helpful to just solo playback the recorded DI signal. (I assume the DI signal sounds fine when played back in the DAW.) With headphones in the Kemper one can then make sure that the re-amped signal sounds good "leaving" the Kemper. If that all works and sounds good, you can add the extra complications of sending the re-amped signal to the Apollo input and then recording it.