Do you realise we don't even hear sounds the same way?

• Some hear bass frequencies more , some made so much studio at high level that they dont even hear high frequencies anymore. Its just like vision some need glasses, some dont, some dont see colors the same way , some dont even see colors....
    So when you search that perfect tone, and find it, dont expect everyone to hear it the same way than your ears...

That explains why some people can't seem to dial a decent tone out of the the KPA, while others (like me) think the toaster(!) is the greatest thing since sliced bread......

• Sam, if I may, brother:

Rechargeable LI battery. Not a fan; they're a PITA to me. I've managed to avoid buying anything that relies on batteries my entire life except for the lappie that replaced my home stereo. Still, I could live with this if the answer to the following question is "no":

Do I have to have a "device"? I can't go near 'phones, tablets or transmitters of any type and therefore have never, nor will I ever, bought / buy one.

I was hoping it automatically ran the test sequence and stored the resulting profile in flash RAM - done. However I read on the nuro site that it stores profiles in the app for your iPhone or whatever. It didn't say whether or not the device is a necessity or if it's just a convenient way to store profiles. Tying the 'phones to an app is absurd to me - no different from tying Kemper Rig storage to a VST plugin; neither is future-proof.

Spent quite a bit of time researching on BeerGutz and reading reviews and then stumbled upon these possible gotchas a few minutes ago, so I can only hope... :|

EDIT:

Here's what caused me the distress:

NURA APP
    Create your unique hearing profile
    Download the nura companion iOS or Android app [English only].
    Once created, your profile is stored on the nuraphone.
    Up to three unique profiles can be stored at the same time.

But then, here's what it says in another spot:

At its core is a self-learning engine built into the nuraphone that automatically learns and adapts to your unique hearing. Hear your favourite music for the first time.

• Learns your hearing in 60 seconds without even the press of a button.
    • Creates your unique hearing profile.
    • Adapts the sound system to match your hearing system.

So, based on this, it seems one doesn't need the app. My hope is that it's only for storing and switching between multiple profiles and viewing the "visualisation" of each one. I'll only need one, of course, so again, I hope the 'phone isn't necessary for this...

• You are technically right that our hearing differs. It's logicao when you think of it. You hav an exact number of nerve cells in your ear that pick up vibrations that your brain translates to sound. For every pickup cell in the ear there is a corresponding reciever cell in your brain and a neural link between. If you only consider the "pickups" in yourr ear (because we differ in how we pick up sound, but we also differ in how we treat the sound we pick up, but let's keep it simple) their exact position in the ear canal are as critical as the exact position of a microphone in front of a cabinet. Just picture a blown up version of your ear canal with lots of little dots that are your hearing cells. This is an oversimplification, but it's not wrong to think of it this way. So then, we wouldn't all have the same dots in the same places just like our faces don't all look the same. And so thus, we hear things differently.

When it comes to chasing tone, however, another phenomenon comes into play. From your subjective hearing you hear something you like. Someone else can hear the same thing and not like it. The reason they don't like it could be that they hear it differently, or it could be that they hear it very similar to how you hear it, but for other reasons, do not prefer it as you do. So while we don't hear the same things, we also don't prefer the same things. But just like you can run into someone that looks similsr to you or someone you know in an uncanny way, you can find people that hear tgings exactly the way you do, or prefer exactly the same things as you, or both.

When you find a sound you like and try to describe it, two more phenomenons come into play. One is that if we decide on parameters to differentiate people's hearing, say we define the most high-shifted, most low-shifted, and most centered/balanced/flat type of hearing. In reality there are other factors like spatiality and timing, but again, to keep it simple say we tried to order the different types of hearing. Within that order would be all the statistical phenomena. The difference the most high-shifted and most low-shifted person would hear in a sound would be rare and extreme, and most of us would be "somewhere around the middle".

Then, when you go on to describe the tone you like, you use words that can be interpreted in many ways, and we all interpret things differently.

Even still, we have a rig exchange and forum, and people find help here. That seems to imply that no matter the differences, we can find common understanding through language. I can describe that I like fat, bassy guitar sound. Not everyone hears bass the same, but everyone hears bass. Everyone understands bass. Or "thin", or "airy", or "squeel'y". So through the iterative process of exchanging ideas, a common understanding is created. It is how we learn, actually. From people who do not see or hear the world the way we do.

• @Monkey_Man
    Sorry, dude, but the app is necessary to create the hearing profile. Apparently, the raw data from the test signal analysis is so complex that it has to be (for want of an appropriate phrase) “deconvolved” in the cloud, before the resulting profile is uploaded to the headphones themselves. Theoretically, it should be possible via USB through a computer, but they haven’t built in that functionality (yet). It’s an Aussie firm, so maybe bringing it up on their forum and drumming up local support might help...?

• Thank you so much BS... I mean, Brother Sam... I mean, SamBro'. :D:thumbup:

You'd think porting the app to OSX and Windows would be "easy", so that gives me hope at least.

What a bummer, man! ;(

I suspect it isn’t actually anything to do with OSX or Windows but rather that doing it in the cloud allows them to gather data for further research and development and to compare the population for statistical analysis. But then again I may just be talking out my a@#e :D

• With the amount of psycho acoustics and confirmation bias I've experienced and exhibited I'd say it's guaranteed that we don't perceive sound exactly the same. I'm not even sure this isn't the Matrix...

• There are a very few simple rules that one can follow without to go wrong:

1.Dont drink and tweak.

Alcohol could be the main reason why most musicians fuck up their sound.This is sadly true also for the "most experienced" musicians I have met.Specially true for the younger dudes ofcourse.I am very happy that during the last years a lot of "scientific" research has been done on this issue.The same is ofcourse true for any kind of drugs.Personally I learned to only drink "after the show" when I dont have another gig on the next day..in the studio..if it goes for days I will not touch anything before the last track is done.

In general personally I made the experience that people hear more "the same" and agree on sound when they are sober and very concentrated at the beginning of a rehearsal,gig,recording session.The "differences" in hearing got bigger with time,when people get exhausted and tired..combined with a few drinks desaster was often close.

2.Fresh ears.

Same with the issue I talked above.Tweak with fresh ears.Take a break.Continue the next day.Find the "sweet spots" of your gear..which guitar,which PU which amp with which cab etc..the mics you think you prefer,good (not to expensive but "good") cables etc, learn as much as you can(through your personal experience ofcourse) about different room sizes and "how they sound" when you gig a lot.This is not easy but it is important.In general I never underestimate the "be prepared for what you want to do" isssue.Often I fucked it up because I did not know what to expect.Bringing your 100w tube monster to a coffee house gig can work..but there are obviously better solutions.. :/

3.Trust the "serious" soundguys you have met in the past and you will meet in the future.After some years of gigging and recording you will know for which type of soundguy you will look for..try to avoid the unserious guys as much as you can.

4.Dont talk to other guitar players abpout your sound.Ask the drummer.I will not say more.. ;):D

5.Dont take it to serious.We are no classical orchestra musicians.. :rolleyes:
    Actually the thing we do is all about "overdrive" & "distortion"..trying not to get deaf..

In general getting older we will loose a lot.First of all PASSION(so strange nobody talks about this when we talk about sound and the way we "hear things"),hearing higher frequencies etc etc..but we gain experience & patience.Use the latter two things more than anything else.And your love for music will grow with time while your ego may shrink.. ;)

• I have them sitting on my desk right now. They're the best bit of audio kit I've ever bought, after the KPA ;)

Nuraphones are not the only ones.
    I got a pair of Audeara headphones (they are from OZ, @Monkey_Man), that tailor my Sound according to my personal EQ curves.
    https://audeara.com/

• Well, some of us have.

I'm lucky 'cause I came in the back door as an immigrant from South Africa.

Still, it didn't help me become any better than this criminal mob. :S

Nuraphones are also Australian. Clever bunch, those Aussies!

Some of us are, apparently. I wouldn't know; I live in a suburb full of meatheads. :S

Nuraphones are not the only ones.I got a pair of Audeara headphones (they are from OZ, @Monkey_Man), that tailor my Sound according to my personal EQ curves.https://audeara.com/

Thank you for the heads-up, Ingy.

I've read a little about them in these BeerGutz threads:

https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…ve-cans.html#post12670672
    https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…st-mixing-headphones.html