Volume equalization across performance

• I've always had trouble trying to make the volume of each of my rigs the same for live use. Perceived volume between clean vs varying gains is tricky so it really becomes a guessing game. Would be nice to have a feature that would equalize output volume across a whole performance.
    ********EDIT....Thanks to wheresthedug's reply....How about volume equalization of all profiles as they are uploaded to the Kemper. So that as you are browsing, every profile is at identical db level. There are times that i do want my heavier profiles a bit louder live because those songs tend to have more up front guitar. This way, as im modifying profiles i know that 0 db in rig volume is the starting point and is the same for all profiles. Right now, "0 db" in rig volume means nothing other than a reference point to that specific profile.

• Its realy difficult when i mix between accoustic guitar and electric. on some profiles i need a lot of amp volume to get the right feel.
    on the accoustic sounds i need a lot of headroom to not sound boxy or not too compressed. And infact that is difficult to match profiles in wolum if I ex. play Telecaster with 65Amp Brittish gain /voicing and then go to strat with a Fender delux. its completele different freequences.. and difference get bigger on a PA than on my Yamaha DXR as i use for reference, when creating sounds/presets.
    I could use a DB messure on my phone, but frequencies is fooling the ears..

Edited once, last by Morty ().

• +1

One of the things that really drives me mad is profile packs with boosted amp volumes.

I might have my KPa set up into my desk with a little headroom on the desk input pres but running at a good healthy level. i’m auditioning profiles and I step through some MBritt profiles. Everything sound fine. Next up comes a Tone Junkie profile. Something strange is going on. Ot just doesn’t sound right. I look at my desk and the pres are overloading and clipping. I go into the Tone ajunkie profile and the Amp volume is boosted 2.5. That’s fairly mild and easily dealt with by lowering the gain on the desk pre but I’ve come across other profiles with much much bigger boosts. I can only assume profilers do it to make their profiles stand out in a Kemper specific version of the loudness wars but its a pain in the ass and we need a defense system to protect ourselves from these profile terrorist attacks X(

OK rant over now that’s off my chest............. volume balancing would be a really useful feature in many ways not just for auditioning profiles.

• As someone else at least alluded to, the electrical or metered level of a sound isn’t the same as its APPARENT, or perceived, level.

That’s why even “normalized” or heavily compressed records don’t all sound as “loud” as each other.

In particular, more midrangey sounds tend to be perceived as louder because the ear is more sensitive in those speech ranges.

So you need to set your scoopy metal profiles louder than a 3k heavy AC30 sound in order for them to sound “as loud” SUBJECTIVELY.

• +1

I'd love an automatic function to level all rigs in performances, and all performances to each other. I try to set all sounds at gig-level, and tweak a little every show, but i'd rather click "level perf loudness" and have a sandwich instead :)

• +1! I'm currently using different profiles every few rehearsals in the search of the perfect one, and this would help a lot

• I agree that it would be temptingly simple if the Kemper were to offer some kind of nominalization function.

However, I would like to point out that this would also deprive Kemper of one of its greatest strengths.

The ability to reproduce what goes inside with some accuracy.

The volume of a profile depends on the profiling process. This in turn depends on the taste and skill of the profiling person.

Furthermore, the necessary volume also depends on the noise level and frequency distribution of the other instruments.

I don't think there is an algorithm that can normalize the volume in the same way as some DAWs in the studio.

What curve should be used for normalization - what about the compression that usually occurs?

It is true, however, that a level display corresponding to the standardized line level would be useful to get a rough overview. The current display tends to confuse .