What made you play guitar?

• Yeah, that's funny!
    I remember us spraying "TSR" everywhere in the neighbourhood (e.g. on public electricity boxes) back in the old days. So maybe we invented Graffiti "on the fly" as I can't remember it was that popular by that time as it was getting in later years. :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• She never was my fan :D

ha! the girls I have been with were my fans before we were together, but after a while they were fed up with me grabbing the guitar vs. doing something with them
    that's still the case with my current girfriend/wife (don't know how to name a person you're with since a long time, have kid with but not married to). it seems I couldn't convert any to something else than hateful mainstream radio music, most are ok to rn'r boyfriends but not to rn'r life

• I grew up in a family of artists (painters, ceramic art, musicians - my grandpa lived in the rooms of a castle...). My dad played guitar and later bass in a band - they played stuff like Dire Straits, CCR, Stones and made a few own blues rock songs and had there own yearly event ("Stadlfest"). I have always been fascinated with blues and liked Etta Baker the most as a child. And we had all kind of instruments at home.

But if I am honest - that is not the true answer to "what made you play guitar?", sorry. In the early 1990s it was Black Metal that made me want to be creative! Black Metal back in the days was more than music. We wandered through the woods, sat by the campfire and reveled in ancient myths. We believed that we are part of a reawakening pagan cult. We were serious, but had a lot of fun too. So Celtic Frost, Burzum, Darkthrone and Ulver made me play guitar!

But here is some secret insight: While rehearsing in corpse paint in a dark and cold cellar we played Iron Maiden songs (we loved the Blaze Bayley era!) and talked about and listened to bands like Genesis, Camel, obscure US Metal, Grateful Dead (someone smoking a joint here? :whistling: ), Beatles, Yes, King Crimson...

My guitar teacher was very cool too. He was a Serb that had moved to Germany and was a totally jazz fanatic - but at the same time VERY open minded to different styles. So we had kind of agreements that he shows me how to play that great Dissection riffs right after I did practice the tiny jazz part of this or that :rolleyes::thumbup:

Conclusion: Essentially I am just a lousy Black Metal guitarist - that explains and excuses a lot :thumbup:

• She never was my fan :D

My wife is no longer impressed with my rock god status...that passed many moons ago...she now just puts with with gigs, rehearsals and more guitars ( bought another last week) as its part of me :)

So I can relate to that. She loves me despite my guitar, not because of it...maybe if I played better!

• I have lived with and vigorously sexed one of Motely Crue's stage dancers for 3 years, was engaged to a girl who was on the front cover of Vogue magazine in Portugal and dated a professional maltese swimwear model for 2 years...

hey man, just seen your avatar, looks like good is not enough for you, or your have a taste for expérimentations :)

that's just jealous joking

• I used to be (and still are to a certain extent) a massive gamer. I started playing guitar hero and It went on from there really. I never cared about music until I played that game. From there, I started finding lots of cool bands then asked for a guitar (for a BDAY present I think).
    The song that I most enjoyed back then was Before I Forget by Slipknot.
    I don't necessarily listen to a lot of metal / heavier music these days but that always brings back good memories! It was also the first song I ever learnt on guitar too!

• I picked up the guitar 84. It was metal that made me wanted to play guitar. No one in the family did play anything so it was just my owen decision. A seller in a music shop sold a crap guitar to me he wanted to get rid of. So easy to fool a young teenager with his first couple of months saved salary. :thumbdown:

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• What/who/when was your divine moment of inspiration?

Hmm, I guess I'd say it was a combo of things going on in my life at that time that added up to my divine moment of inspiration.

After my parents split and I moved to a totally different state and lost all my friends, saying I was an angst teen would have been an understatement haha. I always had natural music talent since I was 4/5 but having perfect pitch, playing piano and producing just wasn't doing the trick for me during this time.

Being into the pop/punk scene and metal (classic and modern) really got me through those tough times, and after hearing those bands again and again, that motivated me to pick up a guitar and give it a go. I still remember getting my first guitar lesson trying to learn the Crazy Train solo and thinking: mannn this teacher isn't that great, I bet i could figure this out on my own.

Some weeks later I did end up figuring it out, along with tons of other tracks from that album as well. I guess the collective feeling I felt back then was guitar isn't something that couldn't be taken away from me. All the emotion came out via the guitar, and now some 15 years later I still feel the exact same way about playing :thumbup:

• What made me play guitar? Well... I will answer very simply and directly, this is sad but true :

My father commited suicide when I was 7 years old and he left me his guitar , that's the only souvenir I got from him. So I started to play on that guitar at 7 years old...

• hey man, just seen your avatar, looks like good is not enough for you, or your have a taste for expérimentations :)
    that's just jealous joking

Hehe....his name is Randy :)

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• What made me play guitar? Well... I will answer very simply and directly, this is sad but true :

My father commited suicide when I was 7 years old and he left me his guitar , that's the only souvenir I got from him. So I started to play on that guitar at 7 years old...

So sorry to hear that. That guitar must hold quite a special place with you. At the very least, I'm happy that out of that tragedy you got the joy of music. Peace man!

Hugs my friend - music is better than a photo to keep a memory alive x

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• I never really wanted to play guitar when I was growing up (left handed and I couldn't play upside down), I played a bit of keyboard though and sang.

I was running sound for my friends 3 piece band and I bought a cheap guitar to tinker with about10 years ago. My friend showed me some chords so I could play rhythm while he soloed. About 5 years years ago I joined the band, we had a monthly gig at a local bar before it closed down. We mostly just jam and record now, we'll play a few gigs here and there, but our bass player just checked out so that has slowed us down.

It's never to late to start. I was about 40 when I really started to try and take it serious. I wish I was younger when I started because I still struggle with speed, but I get by, just make those notes count. At this point, I have more disposable income than talent ;) .

BTW, my wife's hobby allows me to buy what ever gear I want without her questioning me, guitars and amps are cheap compared to horses.

!

This is a great thread, and God Bless you @Gforce! I'm sure your Dad smiles every time you pick up any guitar... Sorry for your loss!