Def Leppard now using Axe FX3s

• To be honest I think it suits their sound more....they are not known for valve tones but more processed/effected sound.

I also doubt it was because of the new version, they probably went for the latest...

• From what I've heard of Leppard, they have used some really crappy amps for their tone. I think a JMP through a Palmer, a Rockman, etc. So probably not worth shooting for their tones.

Or do we sound like typical guitar a**holes! Seriously, this is a multi-platinum band and worthy of respect.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yeah, and if you want to trash their tone after hearing those songs, I don't know what to say!

Their guitarists are not people to sneer at either folks! Check out the six packs! Something all of us bedroom guitarists need to aspire to!

• I still love that wall of sound on some of the Hysteria tracks. The tone on their best known works are a product of Mutt Lange's sorcery. Even Mike Shipley admitted the Rockman sounded like sh*t on its own, but had a very commercial sound when layered up.

• More and more bands choose Kemper instead of a real amp. Time changes so I'm not suprised Deff Leppard choose something else than a real amp.Anyway Adrenalize was a big disappointment and was the beginning of the downfall and I stopped being a fan. Bands shouldn't have a too long lifespan.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I don't know how well known UK band, 'Magnum' are worldwide, but I can certify their guitarist 'Tony' used both an Engl amp & Kemper on the last album.
    I know that for a fact, as I did backing vocals on one of the tracks, and saw the amp set ups. :)

• From what I've heard of Leppard, they have used some really crappy amps for their tone. I think a JMP through a Palmer, a Rockman, etc. So probably not worth shooting for their tones.

Or do we sound like typical guitar a**holes! Seriously, this is a multi-platinum band and worthy of respect.

Absolutely!

I'm not a massive Def Lep fan but I can totally appreciate they are great at what they do. They write super catchy songs with great structure, arrangements and production. They can all play, particularly Vivian Campbell who I would rate as as good a rock player as anyone on the planet. I preferred his sound when he was playing Soldano SLOs at the end of the Dio era and on the first River Dogs album though. However, there's no getting away from the fact that the tones he uses with Def Lep fit the overall production perfectly.

I tend to agree with an earlier comment too that the Axe FX is the one I would go for if I was playing their music.

• More and more bands choose Kemper instead of a real amp. Time changes so I'm not suprised Deff Leppard choose something else than a real amp.Anyway Adrenalize was a big disappointment and was the beginning of the downfall and I stopped being a fan. Bands shouldn't have a too long lifespan.

There were some good songs on Adrenalize, in my opinion.

• I don't know how well known UK band, 'Magnum' are worldwide, but I can certify their guitarist 'Tony' used both an Engl amp & Kemper on the last album.
    I know that for a fact, as I did backing vocals on one of the tracks, and saw the amp set ups. :)

Did you work with Mark in the studio?

• They can all play, particularly Vivian Campbell who I would rate as as good a rock player as anyone on the planet.

I've said this before here, but I've known his ex-girlfriend since the late '80s. They met and played pool together at a pub and she had no idea who he was. :D

I preferred his sound when he was playing Soldano SLOs at the end of the Dio era...

I was lucky enough to meet RJD and Jimmy Bain after a concert in Melbourne. Viv played that gig and indeed he sounded awesome. The lead tones sounded scooped, but still cut through beautifully.

• A friend of mine who is a very good producer in Germany once said something very true about Vivian Campbell..that he is was of the "biggest influence"-players for his generation without to get any credits for this..not back then and not later..this is very true imo.I mean he was never the shred guy like all the others back then but the way he did all these melodic stuff and his phrasing/tone indeed influenced all guitar players back then who asked themselves how to implement "melodies" within this endless Hardrock/metal shred of the 80s.

Indeed Viv is a killer guitar player.He still is.

• Just in case anyone thought I was trashing their sound, I wasn't. I was saying its very specific.

I remember listening to a Def Leppard tribute ( Jef Leppard - how cool is that!!) and the guitars on their own sounded...not great....but when they struck up, brilliant. Perfect in the mix and suited the band. They have a distinct sound with a lot of effects, kinda the opposite of say Slash ( who I'm not a fan of BTW).

We also cover a couple of Def Leppard songs and Phil Collen is definitely underrated.

Plus I LOVE his PC-1.

Total respect to them.

• and the guitars on their own sounded...not great....but when they struck up, brilliant. Perfect in the mix and suited the band.

That's often the case istn't it. Some of the best sounds in history in a finished mix don't sound that great in isolation. On the other hand, lots of tones (whether valve amps or profiles) that sound absolutely killer in isolation just don't work in a mix.

• That's often the case istn't it. Some of the best sounds in history in a finished mix don't sound that great in isolation. On the other hand, lots of tones (whether valve amps or profiles) that sound absolutely killer in isolation just don't work in a mix.

Totally...that for me is why its not worth trying an amp in a shop :)