Hooking up Kemper and active monitors?

• Hello everyone! :)

I'm just about to hook up my Kemper PowerHead to a pair of KrK Rokit 5 active monitors. I've been told that if I mess up the wiring, I can blow up the speakers and the profiler, which I obviously want to avoid. Therefore I just wanted to double check with you guys if what I'm about to do is correct: I have to xlr cables, each of them go in the XLR slot of the speakers and in the left and right main output of the Kemper, right ?

If I remember correctly the only thing that can really damage the gear would be using the speakers output. If there's something else I should know, like in which order I should power on the Kemper and the speakers, please do tell.Thank you for reading me and looking forward to your answers.

Regards,Franck

• Yes, that's the right way to hook them up.

I always power on speakers last and power them off first to avoid any potential popping noise. If I remember correctly the Kemper does pop the speakers a little bit during its bootup.

• I've been told that if I mess up the wiring, I can blow up the speakers and the profiler, which I obviously want to avoid.

Yes you also need a special permission from the police and firefighters of your town. Be sure to have the numbers of an ambulance ready, an a dry chemical extinguisher near you when you wire it up...

Good luck be courageous

8)8)8) G Force

• Ok everything works well thanks a lot guys ! Is there anything I need to know about the output settings that would be more optimal for using speakers ? Because until today I've been playing through my headphones so I might want to change some settings.

Also, do you know if I can leave the speakers (as well as the Kemper) plugged to the wall when I'm not using them? (I still turn them off of course)

• There are tons of output options, you may want to go through the manual once when bored.

For the most part as long as you don't push the monitors into clipping, all will be fine. (It will be fine even when they start clipping, just not sound as good.) I don't know if your monitors have an LED to show when they clip but even if they don't, just set their volume half way and control the actual volume from the Kemper master volume knob.

For unplugging the Kemper, I never do it.

And most of all - enjoy the sound!

• For what its worth I also use those same exact monitors at home plugged into the main outputs in stereo. I have a frfr non powered accugroove cab hooked to the speaker out. For gigging I wire the same but just replace the krks with powered accugrooves. That way the sound you hear at home is pretty much the same as it is out. Plus you can easily do wet-dry-wet on the fly. Just make sure to hit the output settings and even everything up at gig volume. What I wouldn't give to have had this kind of tech way back when..

• Also, do you know if I can leave the speakers (as well as the Kemper) plugged to the wall when I'm not using them? (I still turn them off of course)

Franck, I unplug everything when a lightning storm approaches, just to be on the safe side.

It's rare, but not-impossible for a lightning strike to send a power surge through your mains.