Suggestions for EQ

• Where in the signal chain is best to reduce mids? Add EQ before the amp? Reduce EQ on the amp?

If i turn down the amp mids but then run a green scream before the amp will this cancel out the amp EQ to reduce the mids?

Any recommended EQ settings or presets to lower mids?

• Hi mate,

Couple of questions - why are you wanting to reduce mids? Is it too cutting when you're practising, or is it the style of music etc.?

By cutting mids, you're going to find it harder to cut through in the mix - I know I often find my guitar on it's own to be quite piercing, but in the mix, the mids help it cut through.

It's also going to depend on the amp you're using as well - for example, Marshall's are known for their natural mid-range honk. However, I would suggest if you need to apply EQ, use a studio EQ block in the X slot after the stack section.

• After the stack section, but try and look at an analyser to see exactly where the problem is. Alternatively boost somewhere near the frequency an then move up and down the spectrum until you hear where you need to cut.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Are you familiar with Mesa Mark series amps in the real world? They are a great example of the process. The tone knobs are pre the amps gain stages (like putting it in a Stomp Slot) while the GEQ is post gain stages (like in the X slot). The Stomp option will not change the tone as drastically but instead will shape the distortion characteristics of the amp. That’s also really what’s happening when you stick a TS in front og the amp you’re get a mid boost into the Amp’s gain stages. The X option won’t affect the distortion but will have a drastic affect on the tone.

The third option in the KPA is to adjust the tone stacks in the Amp block. This also allows pre and post gain stages. Although the tone stck doesn’t emulate the real tone stack in the profiled amp you can still get an idea of the effect of tone position in the circuit by swapping it back and forward.

However, as others have said already, be careful of curring the mids too much it makes it really hard to sit in the mix. Most great guitar tones have more mids in them than we often perceive. When you hear an isolated track of some killer tones they often sound totally different than we perceive when they are in the mix.

• Thanks to all for the helpful tips. To clarify i am putting in P90 pickup and want not overdo the mids. So just to back off some mids i think should be ok.

I have quite a few P90s in my guitars, love 'em!
    If you however feel the need to reduce the mids, I'd suggest a studio EQ before the STACK.
    Set a high boost (!) with a very narrow bandwidth and use it to locate the problematic area.
    Then turn down the boost into a cut and adjust the bandwidth by ear.

I don't have to do this on any of my guitars, so it just might be that the pickups are not set up optimally (distance to strings and high/low strings balance) or simply not right for your guitar/tastes.

hth