Profile recorded tones

• This was not my idea. I will credit Racerxrated on the Rig-Talk forum and I am unsure if this has been discussed here or if it is already a thing. I am unsure exactly how the Kemper works but I assume it captures the wave data. We also have plugins like eq matching and all this crazy tech today.

Why not come out with a studio kemper? Something to cop recorded tones, there are isolated guitar tracks all over the web from your favorite albums. This could be something really cool.

• The kemper is already a studio tool. If you want very similar profiles you can simply ask some profilers to make them for you. Why you love someones guitar tone isn't just so much because the guitar tone in itself. It sounds great because of the rest of the bands instruments and performance and the how it was mixed together.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• if you want match-eq tones, you can already get those with the Profiler, it has been done since the Profiler was first released, really.

take the signal from your mic'ed amp, and feed it through a match eq and profile. Since it ts just eq, it will profile fine.
    The results however - for me and many others at least - are pretty much always rather disappointing, because these tones were crafted in a very, very specific context. Without this context, they lose most of their appeal.

• I said a "studio" Kemper as something specific. Yes you can use it in the studio but it is to profile guitar tones. Im speaking of profiling recorded (studio) tones. As in taking stems or guitar wavs and profiling those. I don't think that's going to be the same as a matched eq tone. That, like the mooer is simply taking your tone and matching the eq to another tone afaik.

Im aware of how other instruments affect the sound of a guitar in a mix. It could still work and be a benefit. Sure not everyone will like it or use it but that is essentially the same thing as saying SD3 midi packs are useless because they aimed for a specific thing when they recorded and mixed them. Just an idea. Not everyone will like

• What's being asked for is an impossibility using the Profiling engine as it was invented, intended and stands today.

It relies on being able to pass a cleverly-crafted, known quantity (the SpaceWars™ sequence) through a device / plugin or whatever that'll affect what passes through it in a measurable way. The Profiler compares the passed-through, resultant waveform with the original and uses this as a basis from which to reconstruct the behaviour of the Profiled device.

A waveform such as the recorded tracks spoken of here cannot process anything. Nothing can be passed through it, and it possesses no dynamic-response behaviour... or any behaviour whatsoever.

IOW, impossible. We're talking apples and sardines here.

• ... and there I thought sardines and apples were different-enough to drive the point home, but you guys managed to tie them together.

Geez. Creative types. :S:D

The point cannot be overemphasised 'though. It's no different from when folks ask that we be able to Profile synthesisers. One can no more send the Space Wars™ signal through a conventional synthesiser to capture its soul than one can in the case of a .WAV file.

• I tend to use the metaphor "apples and lawnmowers" when I'm trying to get a Rock-of-Gibraltar to the skull kind of point across, MM. ;)

Anyone who confuses THOSE two things as being similar, probably has bigger problems than figuring out if the KPA can do tone matching to their favorite Zamphir, Master of the Pan-flute shred session. :D

Regs,
    Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• ... and there I thought sardines and apples were different-enough to drive the point home, but you guys managed to tie them together.

Geez. Creative types. :S:D

The point cannot be overemphasised 'though. It's no different from when folks ask that we be able to Profile synthesisers. One can no more send the Space Wars™ signal through a conventional synthesiser to capture its soul than one can in the case of a .WAV file.

Dev's claim they have emulated vintage synths 100% and the reality is no. Most have never owned them so they believe it's true and those that own or have owned those synths know it's not true. I've never been that guy that wanted to have the exact same sound as someone else. I always wanted to go my own way. Both in life in general and musically- I mean who wants to walk in someone elses shoes?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• As in taking stems or guitar wavs and profiling those.

With all due respect, I don't think you really understand what profiling is. Simplified, it is a way to make a digital copy if you will from a existing tube amp setup.

I don't think that's going to be the same as a matched eq tone.

But that is exactly what you are asking for.

Im aware of how other instruments affect the sound of a guitar in a mix. It could still work and be a benefit.

You'd think that, but in the real world - not really. Otherwise this (rather old) technique would be used all over the place.

What some people do however, is they take a Profile from their carefully set, mic'ed and maybe eq'ed amps in the studio, so they can actually go back to the part and record with the same sound (or play it live using the exact sound from the record), something that was previously not possible after the setup was changed (or a mic moved even slightly).

• LOL Nah, I tried to think of two foods that were more-different from each other to illustrate the ridiculous difference between trying to Profile something like a synth or recorded waveform, which won't allow audio to pass through it (Kemper's Space Wars™ stream), and a device which does, such as an amp or whatever.

Apples and oranges are both fruit. Too-similar in this case, IMHO.