The Southpaws Gang

• I think it's about time all lefties here had our own thread. To say hi, show our guitars, tell our experiences getting them, talk about the few lefty-mainly shops, etc. Ash wrote something in another thread and it became a reminder of an idea I had ages ago but was too lazy to do anything about! So here we go!

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• I am right-handed and play lefty because of a problem in my picking hand. So I am a lefty de facto and you are by nature. You are welcome, of course!

• There is a guys round my way and he’s a lefty and plays right handed guitar upside down, with out changing the strings like Jimmy did...... he’s bloody amazing

same here..it always amazes me. Here a clip of him doing a little ditty. It’s just plain weird..

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Another lefty here. I tried to play right handed when I started as my buddy’s guitar was all there was available to try at the time. It never worked out, never felt right. Once I got my hands on a lefty I haven’t put it down since. Even when I first tried guitar hero I struggled until I discovered lefty flip, instantly beat my friends from then on lol.

Here in Newfoundland there is a limited number of guitar shops with a very small number of left handed guitars available. It has gotten better over time but still not great. It’s been a battle getting guitars without going custom shop. I have gotten almost all my guitars online with about a 50% success rate of getting a guitar without an issue

I want a Jackson Kelly so bad but custom shop is out of the question. Can’t figure out why they have never made it in lefty as everything else besides the warrior is available in left handed.

• My first electric was a right-handed Ibanez Sg with the strings inverted and the bridge adapted and a Bigsby that being right-handed was a bit in the way. It was difficult to get a cheap lefty at the time in Spain. I had learnt to play wirh inverted right-handed classical and acoustic guitars. I never thought of playing a guitar with the low E string down like Albert King. He sure had advantages when bending but adapting chords must have been pretty cumbersome to say the least. I went the Hendrix way and the SG shape was even more comfortable than an inverted Strat. Later on I bought a late 7Os lefty Strat (large headstock and CBS, yuk!) in Madrid. There was a right-handed player friend of mine who wanted to buy it from me to invert it and do a Hendrix thing! Now all my guitars are lefties, but it is still tough to try before buying! Much easier if you live in Texas! I don't.

• ... and me 8)

And me. Coming from a piano, it looked to me that fretting is more of a dexterity thing than picking. So I never even tried playing lefty.

Not sure if I was right with my initial assertion however it actually feels pretty ok to hold the bass "backwards".

• They didn't play a Kemper, but...let's make them honorary members. Strings not inverted, the guitar just flipped over.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/…uploads/01-KING-ALL-3.jpg

• Well, if I actually played these sports; for football - I'm right footed, tennis - left handed, cricket and golf - right handed.

For writing, I'm left handed.

With the guitar, left handed felt right and I've never tried right handed.

Paying more for left handed guitars and having less models available is a bit annoying; however, I've managed to accumulate 24 guitars, so I doubt the missus is going to sympathise with my plight. :rolleyes:

• Muchas Gracias CJ :D ..HEY...I used to think that we lefties were LIMITED and were never getting any of the same high end quality guitars as the right handed models...but F#$%k....when i look at some guitar companies like Taylor or Gretch who make the same high end versions of left/right guitars...Well i say respect!

But all you guitar companies need to be making more Fing left handed high end models..WHY?
    YOUR missing out on a MARKET THAT EXIST...this 10% of the paying population figure ...IS A MYTH...
    There are more of us out there than you know/estimate
    For all my Lefty brothers i say this to you guitar companies...

Why not make more HIGH END models of left handed guitars...LOOK We will buy them fuckers..!!
    how do you know that we wont IF YOU NEVER FKN MAKE THEM? :)
    Ever just made some and put them out there?

NO? ...Noo..well.your losing revenue..moral of the story is...we exist , more than you realize..AND F#$$K... make more left handed versions :whistling::rolleyes: ..We will buy them. Well my respect to Gretch who makes the white Falcon IN THE SAME high end quality as the right handed high end versions...
    White Falcon is my next guitar man...its too sexy to deny.

Ow we Lefties..i need beer to take away the hurting :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.