Usng the Kemper direct into interface to record???

• Hi guys, I apologize in advance for not being the brightest guy on the planet. I bought a Kemper Profiler because my Marshall and Fender amps were too loud to record tracks in my apartment complex. Am I missing something? I thought if I just run the Kemper straight into the interface that be the perfect sound of the captured profile, without the hassle of setting up a mic and trying to get the perfect mic position? Is the main reason people don't use the Kemper this way because of saturation and breakup at higher recording volumes or are people actually doing what I am doing, but just not talking about it? I appreciate any insight to this.

• The "saturation and breakup at higher recording volumes" thing is irrelevant for two reasons:

1) If high volumes are used during Profiling, this simply captures and amp's behaviour when cranked this way, so it's "authentic" "breakup" and not record-level-induced. IOW, 'tis a good thing.

2) In this age where most of us use digital interfaces and not analogue tape, hitting the inputs hard whilst recording has become a thing of the past. In fact, many of us here, including myself, recommend aiming for -12 to -20dB peak levels at your interface, the optimum often being in the -15 to -18dB range. Amongst other things, this pretty much ensures that you'll never encounter additional, unwanted breakup when recording; your tracks should sound like your Kemper.

Something you might want to do is set your main output level (in the Output section, funnily enough) to be fixed at, say, -15 or -18dB, as many here have for live use into PA's. This should work well provided your individual Rig volumes (set within the Rigs) don't vary too-wildly.

• Right now I just have the Kemper output via XRL to my interface input. Is that a good way to record guitar tracks... I have read a lot of people using the SPDIF, but I don't understand what the advantage would be? Thanks Monkey_Man. I greatly appreciate your time.

• Hey, no worries, man.

Yup, how you have it hooked up is the conventional way. If you have another 2 spare mono inputs on your interface you might want to hook up the Direct Output / Send and Monitor Output via 1/4" jack too.

The Direct Output can send an unaffected-DI signal, allowing you to reamp tracks when you're not happy with the Profiles you used originally. If you anticipate this need, record this clean signal into a mono track alongside your regular guitar track (at the same time, obviously).

The Monitor Output, which is usually used by folks to send to their cabinets (be they regular or FRFR), is handy IMHO as a mono recording source of the amp Profile. IOW, I'd maybe use the stereo outs when stereo FX are used and you'd like to record them, and the Monitor out for the no-frills amp tone.

You could of course use only the main stereo outs and just use one side (set to mono in output settings) instead, but that involves more button pushing than simply selecting the mono Monitor-out input on your interface from within your DAW, which is why I suggested hooking that up as well. No biggie, but a little-more efficient IMHO.

As for S/PDIF, it's horses for courses, mate. I like to stick to analogue wherever possible, as do many others, and others here swear by the S/PDIF route. In practicality you won't notice any difference unless your interface's analogue I/O isn't up-to-par, which is rare on all but the most-ridiculously-low-priced interfaces these days. If you paid under $100 RRP for your interface, as a rough-guesstimate ballpark figure, you'd likely hear a difference.

• Awesome guys thanks so much!

Also, I tried to connect the Direct Output to a mic-pre input so that way I could get another track without effects, but I have tried everything and I cannot get it to work for some reason. I an connecting it to an Antelope Audio Zen Tour... stupid is as stupid does and that's me!

• Easy. Output menu. Find the Direct Out parameter:

If it's set to "Git/Alg", change it to "Git/Studio" or whatever it's called, and if it's set to the latter, change it to the former.

"Git/Alg" passes your guitar's signal through unaffected, just like a DI box. This level is low.

The other setting brings it up to line level, which I'm guessing is what your gear is expecting.

If you're a purist, you'll need to use a Hi-Z or "instrument" input or setting on your gear in order to be able to hear the super-low-level guitar signal using the first Kemper setting.

In the absence of such an input or setting, just use the line-level "Git/Studio" setting on the Kemper.

• Right now I just have the Kemper output via XRL to my interface input. Is that a good way to record guitar tracks... I have read a lot of people using the SPDIF, but I don't understand what the advantage would be? Thanks Monkey_Man. I greatly appreciate your time.

all signals end up digital. they have to or no stereo would ever be able to play them. but in order to get from the kemper to an interface, you have to pass through the Kemper A/D converters, go back to analog from the kemper to then enter the preamps, and then get turned back into a digital signal at the interface so that can be used by your daw. SPDIF bypasses that extra, unnecessary conversation and just keeps the original digital state to rid the freeway to the interface.