Evertune appreciation thread!

• I have grown to REALLY love the Evertune bridge since I first tried it out a few years ago.

So I made a video about it! Maybe you guys already know what it is, but this is basically just me having a good time talking about something I'm happy with! :thumbup:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi Cederick.

I haven't had a chance to try the Evertune but the idea is very interesting. I'm thinking of putting one in one of my next guitar builds to try it out. How do you find it affects the ability to string bend and apply vibrato? If I understand the set up instructions there is a trade off between rock solid tuning and the ability to bend etc.

Another thing that crossed my mind while watching it is that if all your guitars are perfectly in tune all of the time and you play as tightly as you clearly do maybe that's why quad tracking doesn't sound huge. Part of the hugeness is due to very small tuning differences. Did you conduct your quad tracking experiment with an Evertune guitar or a standard bridge?

• About bending/vibrato:

I have no issues with the vibrato/bending with Evertune. When set right (close to "zone 3") it feels pretty much like a normal guitar to bend and vibrato, but with perfect tuning stability. The difference is only that there is a small (!) threshold before the bend starts to change the pitch. Maybe a millimeter or so, but thats small enough for me to not worry about. So saying that it feels EXACTLY like a normal guitar, is just half-truth. It just doesn't. But I can go between my regular guitars and Evertune guitars without an issue bending or vibrato to the right pitch any time.

Yeah I'm sure I did the quad-tracking experiment with Evertune.
    But it doesn't really matter. A guitar should be in tune anyway.
    The only thing that makes it sound "huge" is if you're using different amps for each layer, or at least different mic placement.
    You just dont stack the same tone over and over, that will only build up volume without any real benefit.

I won't start quad-tracking anyway so for me I dont really care :)

• Alan made a good point 'though, I feel, Ceddy.

It would've made some difference. How much, we'll never know unless you or someone else runs that experiment again both with and without the Evertune.

I know that for you now this stuff doesn't matter. You proved to yourself that quad (or more!) tracking just ain't worth it for you. ;)

• Hey man, have you heard anything through the grapevine about when the tremolo version will arrive? In the EverTune site's FAQ's I found this:

We do plan to make a tremolo EverTune, however it is impossible to say when it will be released.

IIRC, something similar to this was said back in 2015 as
    well.

I reckon I'll be all over it when it eventually drops...

• Thanks man.

Not sure I'll go for the bass bridge 'cause I don't want to mess with the Stingrays - they're a fretted-and-fretless pair of awesome-from-the-factory goodness.

Besides, basses are not only much-more-stable tuning-wise, but we humans (and monkeys) are less-sensitive to pitch anomalies down there in the nether-frequency regions, so a little bit of "drift" here and there really doesn't matter IMHO.

• The only thing that makes it sound "huge" is if you're using different amps for each layer,

I found this out when i recorded kemper one (only in my looper) , plus the second kemper and put both loops together in reaper,, both with different amps, its was so fat... that if it got a hard on it would look like the capitol letter Q. Running 2 kempers with 2 different amps[and cabs] in stereo is fat but i thought can i reproduce this on disk. Well YEP you can , but you need 2 different amp sounds like what Ced said.

Great funny video, I think you could still enjoy/ use evertune if your a bedroom player, who wants to spend their time tuning in any scenario , especially if you have many guitars (like me). If you play Drop G and use a ET guitars Katana , you will be happy with the ever tune.
    Thankfully some of the guitars come with them installed
    http://www.etguitars.com/products/brands/et/katana-fx7-mkii

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I am curious how many KPA users have a guitar with the Evertune installed.

I personally think that now i can say that i have the perfect setup for me with my evertune guitar.
    No worries about tuning anymore, no worries about the good sound thanks to the KPA.

At first, when the system was introduced, i thought that there was no need for a "always in tune" guitar bridge, hence tuning was no big deal at all. But after trying the first guitar and testing the possibilities with the 3 zones it got me interested in buying a guitar.

Long story short: I traded my Mesa Roadking for the guitar and now i couldn´t be happier :)

This thing stays in tune in all situations! Bending is also no problem when set up properly for the use. And for recording situations you don´t have to worry to ruin a take because the guitar got out of tune.

And last but not least, Evertune has an outstanding customer support! I had a noise issue coming from the bridge (rattling) and they sent me an updated part at no cost via Express delivery! Also really nice contact with the guys from evertune.

I will definitely buy the next guitar with an evertune bridge.

• Something I've been curious about for a long time:

If set to zone 2, as close to the threshold of zone 3 as possible, isn't there still going to be a slight "lag" when, say, bending upwards, before the pitch change kicks in? If this is true, then surely subtle vibrato would also be affected?

I defer to your collective expertise...

• Something I've been curious about for a long time:

If set to zone 2, as close to the threshold of zone 3 as possible, isn't there still going to be a slight "lag" when, say, bending upwards, before the pitch change kicks in? If this is true, then surely subtle vibrato would also be affected?

I defer to your collective expertise...

That's exactly what "worries" me too but I can definitely see an Evertune bridge in my future at some point down the line 8)

• Monkey_Man

Yes, the Evertune has a little threshold before the bend kicks in, as you say. That's just part of how it works, it's physics...

And I'm personally fine with it. And you know how much passion I have for good vibrato, right? No problem for me :)

I never had to readjust my senses to get used to Evertune. The difference is so little when setup properly that I don't even think about it ever.

• Thanks for the reassurance, Ceddy.

I figure tuning destabilisation is generally in the downward direction anyway, so setting the strings to almost hit the end-stop (zone 3) will still allow automatic tuning as long as they're loosening / stretching and not tightening over time.

• I see a lot of hate towards the Evertune, in the same way that some bass players think 5 strings are an abomination or a drummer that thinks a double kick pedal the work of Satan.

I've not played one but can't understand why people can't see the benefits. Sure, it's not for everyone and I'd even say that most people wouldn't even want it in every guitar they own. But when you record, you have to keep checking the tuning. Also, you might get a little carried away when recording only to find that by hitting the strings harder you've gone sharp. Retuning doesn't take long but not having to do it at all for a whole session would be nice.....

And live, I'm the singer and only guitarist. If I go flat, i have to wait until the end of the song to tune up because i sure as hell can't do it whilst singing and aren't any good at talking at the same time as staring at the tuned on the floor.

I'm not really looking for a guitar right now but if I was, it would definitely have an Evertune. I'm just a little scared to install one into any of my existing guitars!

• I always intended to use the evertune for RHY and the Floyd for leads, a few do it like that but its nice to know that its not a big deal. Thanks Ced.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Well, if you're patient, Ash, you should be able to buy a tremelo version one day.

The company said it was working on it several years ago, and that's apparently the last official word on the matter, but you'd think it will drop; it's just a matter of when. That's when I'm gonna grab one... or two.