Evertune appreciation thread!

• I'll chip in here just to add another Evertune owner. I absolutely love the device, and would have it standard on all my fixed-bridge guitars if not for the fact that it requires a fairly thick body to install and therefore I won't be seeing one on my favorite S-Series babies anytime soon. The "play" with regards to the sensitivity of bending in Zone 2 is completely up to you; the tradeoff between having generous resistance to pitch instability vs. "I can barely feel it" is yours to decide, and instantly tweakable. It's also pretty damn cool to be able to put on a new set of strings without ANY tuner whatsoever, and have it rock solid even before the strings are broken in.

If you keep an eye on Evertune.com, every so often they have free installation deals where they will install a [EDIT: Evertune] on an existing guitar (or heck, even more commonly - a new guitar) for no more than the cost of the item. They are also a reseller for a number of factory-installed models, it's worth checking out often.

Edited once, last by dhodgson ().

• . It's also pretty damn cool to be able to put on a new set of strings without ANY tuner whatsoever, and have it rock solid even before the strings are broken in.

I have a couple of Evertune guitars, and have had a few in the past (and tried others...)

Neither of them stays in tune when putting new strings on. I always have to fine-tune a couple of cents. Not that I'm complaining about that, I rather do that once every two weeks than tune every songs / take. But I just don't believe this since I've had my hands on a number of Evertune guitars, where NONE works as you describe :huh:

• Well you know guitarists are very conservative and are very sceptical to new stuff everytime. You shouldn't be scared to have evertune installed on one of your guitars. Just make sure you go to a evertune installer. You have a list of qualifed evertune installer on evertune's site.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

Edited once, last by GearJocke ().

• I have a couple of Evertune guitars, and have had a few in the past (and tried others...)

Neither of them stays in tune when putting new strings on. I always have to fine-tune a couple of cents. Not that I'm complaining about that, I rather do that once every two weeks than tune every songs / take. But I just don't believe this since I've had my hands on a number of Evertune guitars, where NONE works as you describe :huh:

Yeah that's true. If you just want to jam on your own or with the band then it probably wont matter so much if it's only a few cents off. But if you're going to record or play live you need to tune it.

Henry David Thoreau

• And another reason a guitar goes out of tune is simply because too many use too thin string gauges. A saw a video on YT a luthier who work with ACDC and he said Stevie Young hit the strings very hard and therefore use 12-56 string gauge and they're playing in E standard. If you're a light picker then thinner string gauges are fine but if you pick little harder then you will benefit with heavier gauges and the strings will stay in tuner better and longer. I got a 11-49 set for d drop and have a 56 on low E on a Schecter BlackJack and damn, the guitar stays in tune better than any other non-evertune guitar I ever owned.

Henry David Thoreau

• If you keep an eye on Evertune.com, every so often they have free installation deals where they will install a trem on an existing guitar (or heck, even more commonly - a new guitar) for no more than the cost of the trem. They are also a reseller for a number of factory-installed models, it's worth checking out often.

Of course he means "bridge" for anyone who might've found this confusing.

As discussed earlier, a trem is on the way... one day, but it ain't here yet.

• I've been checking out Evertune for a while now. I totally believe in their technology and my first thought was like Ashtweth's ... install one for rhythm work. Really like the idea of completely rock solid tuning. I'll definitely buy one in the near future.

• One thing I've noticed.

When I record regular guitars, I tune my bass to +-0 cents.

When I record Evertune guitars, I tune my bass to circa -10 to -15 cents.

And I DO NOT cramp the strings too hard on regular guitars, I have a fairly light touch, and I've always been really hard on myself about intonation (to the limits of which regular frets allows, I have tried True Temperament frets, but even I feel that's a bit overkill... If I was a billionarie I would replace all frets on all guitars with TT, but I wont have one, and leave the rest regular)

But yeah, I really need to record bass at -10 to -15 cents otherwise it doesn't sound right at all.

• Well you know guitarists are very conservative and are very sceptical to new stuff everytime. You shouldn't be scared to have evertune installed on one of your guitars. Just make sure you go to a evertune installer. You have a list of qualifed evertune installer on evertune's site.

I'm still not going to fit a device which I've never tried, let alone lived with for a while on guitars which are perfect for me.

• chu nothing wrong with that! :)

That's why there's factory fitted Evertune guitars. :D

Yeah I know ?. I like to keep my guitars down to only the ones which I use regularly and the ones which I see are rather too metal for my liking or very expensive. And without any decent guitar stores near me I haven't been able to try any out. Maybe one day!!

• Of course he means "bridge" for anyone who might've found this confusing.

As discussed earlier, a trem is on the way... one day, but it ain't here yet.

While we're at it...I have a real bone to pick with Leo about that whole "tremolo/vibrato" thing.

It really reminds me of a certain "prophet" writing "And so it came to pass" at the first of every sentence of his holy tome (almost 3% of the whole book...) because he was not..."particularly educated", and thought it sounded cool.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• It is most likely due to regular guitars being often ever so slightly sharp when you tune them "properly" and then play them, even with a light touch. Whereas with ET, they stay put and thus to get the same balance, you'll need a slightly flat bass. I guess on average a normal bass has less of a hard time staying in cent-correct tune than a guitar does due to a far longer scale and thicker strings.

Vortech - Finnish Industrial Death Metal since 2000

• It is most likely due to regular guitars being often ever so slightly sharp when you tune them "properly" and then play them, even with a light touch. Whereas with ET, they stay put and thus to get the same balance, you'll need a slightly flat bass. I guess on average a normal bass has less of a hard time staying in cent-correct tune than a guitar does due to a far longer scale and thicker strings.

And so many guitar player tune the guitars too lightly and play harder. Or doesn't tune to the attack but instead wait till the needle falls.

Henry David Thoreau

• Same here, Ceddy.

What I'm saying 'though is that the harder you fret, the more-sharp the playing will sound if you tune open-string.

I'm super-light in touch, but even so, I still notice a slight sharpening of the notes when I fret them. No biggie, of course.

EDIT:

With your bridge, this stuff shouldn't matter anyway.

• But Doesn't taking wood out of the body make it have less bottom end and tone?

ANSWER- NOPE.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I have a couple of Evertune guitars, and have had a few in the past (and tried others...)

Cederick,

I'm not going to argue about a couple of cents on a new pack of strings any more than I'd argue about a couple of cents on a settled-in pack of strings. There is a tremendous amount of compensation on tap, enough that some folks use the 3-zone tuning to start off a set with the low string in drop-tuning and then go straight to standard mid-set simply by giving their low tuner a couple of twists.

It either works, or it does not. And if it does not, you're playing too close to the edge of Zone 2/Zone 3, mate.