Help me make the KPA my main rig!

• I’ve got a Friedman DS40, a Carol-Ann Tucana, but I find they’re temperamental amps that sound fantastic with one guitar, not so great with another, and time needs to be spent finding the sweet spots. Once you get them they’re very good but I’m starting to tire of this so I’m considering getting a Deluxe Reverb again which I loved and getting rid of these two boutique amps.

But I also keep wanting to make the Kemper work for me in a live situation.

I’ve had.
    CLR - sounded brittle
    Q12 - the same
    FR212 - very similar to a guitar cab with thump and warmth but very big and the tolex was somewhat fragile. It’s the best option I’ve used but it’s too big and the damage means value is lost quickly.
    Guitar cab - not bad at all, but I still need to lug a big cab around.
    Matrix FR10 - didn’t have the power in the speakers to satisfy anyone in the band. People kept saying how weak my sound was.

After this I went back to amps. It’s obvious to say I’ve tried many options.

If anyone has any advice I’d be grateful.

I want it to sound close to an amp in the room, with warmth and thump, lightweight but I guess that’s a low priority. Price isn’t an issue. I have the Powerhead if that helps.

What’s out there in 2018? Thanks!

• Not sure what new is out there tbh that will mean you don't need to lug something round. I went back to a guitar cab when I realised I was carrying a monitor (DXR10) around with me anyway as a replacement. Figured I might as well carry either my 1x12 or 2x12 when I can be bothered and get that 'amp in the room sound' without issue.

• Don’t know the answer, sorry. Seems to me the guitar cab was a solution you were happy with but you still had to ‘lug a big cab round’.
    I guess my point was that whatever the solution you go for, unless you have roadies, you’ll be lugging something around. So might as well carry what you were most happy with?

Good luck in your search.

• Do you need a cab or could you just go to the PA directly from the Kemper? In that case you could just get any powered monitor (or use whatever is available) as long as you can hear yourself. Even could get an IEM only.

The Deluxe Reverb probably has its own heft that needs to be dealt with. ;)

• Don’t know the answer, sorry. Seems to me the guitar cab was a solution you were happy with but you still had to ‘lug a big cab round’.
    I guess my point was that whatever the solution you go for, unless you have roadies, you’ll be lugging something around. So might as well carry what you were most happy with?

Good luck in your search.

There’s multiple new solutions. Redsound, Line 6 Power Cab etc that aren’t that heavy. I want something to improve on the sound aspect. If it’s lighter that’s good, if not no worries.

Do you need a cab or could you just go to the PA directly from the Kemper? In that case you could just get any powered monitor (or use whatever is available) as long as you can hear yourself. Even could get an IEM only.

The Deluxe Reverb probably has its own heft that needs to be dealt with. ;)

PAs at practice studios are shocking. In ears could work as long as the whole band adopts them but I prefer an external sound.

Guys. Thanks for the concern, honestly. But I’m young and in fairly decent shape. I’m really not a wilting flower. The weight isn’t a massive issue lol :D

Any thoughts on the Line 6 Powercab or the Redsound?

• I’m really not a wilting flower.

Lol :D

You probably want to ignore me in this as I am in the minority who does not think that it is necessary for the Kemper to replicate the sound of other amps accurately. So I would say just get a guitar cab you like the sound of (irrespective of weight ;) ) and just roll with that.

And if you do get a Deluxe Reverb in the future, you can just get the head and use it with the same cab!

• Lol :D
    You probably want to ignore me in this as I am in the minority who does not think that it is necessary for the Kemper to replicate the sound of other amps accurately. So I would say just get a guitar cab you like the sound of (irrespective of weight ;) ) and just roll with that.

And if you do get a Deluxe Reverb in the future, you can just get the head and use it with the same cab!

It’s not that I need that either. I’m not profiling anything. But I’d like the sound and feel to come somewhat close to an amp/cab while still being able to use the internal cabs on the Kemper. I don’t need the thing to be flat I just want that cab like feeling/sound.

• Yeah, but the Yamaha DXR range, as is always the case with Yamaha gear, great bang-for-buck value.

This is why I suggested Mission only if you don't like the Yamaha of your choice (various speaker sizes available, the 10" being the most-popular here for guitar).

EDIT:
    Oh, and to answer your earlier question, I take it you mean "how do the Cab emulations played through it compare with using a "real" cab"?

Horses for courses. Many claim that nothing moves air like a traditional guitar cab. Those who've made the switch and stuck with it are perfectly-happy and say they just had to get used to it and the lack of pant-flapping is well worth the benefits of being able to run any Studio Rig with its attendant cab. Huge variety on-tapp for a small price, IMHO.