Kemper input feels like there is latency

• I have a suggestion. Play any rig you like.Insert the transpose effect in the stomps section.(theres is definitely latency) play around with the transpose effect. After awhile turn off the transpose effect and play normal.See if that helps.

• This is a topic that has been discussed at length in other threads. Without any details of your signal chain no one can help you. The Kemper by itself introduces at least 3.4 ms delay but not much more even with lots of effects on. It should be imperceptible

• This is a topic that has been discussed at length in other threads. Without any details of your signal chain no one can help you. The Kemper by itself introduces at least 3.4 ms delay but not much more even with lots of effects on. It should be imperceptible

That was my point!

• I often get that feeling when playing through Pro Tools. Make sure you have any delay compensation turned off in a DAW and set a low buffer.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• That was my point!

Even if you stand a bit from an amp, a live concert, telephone etc you have latency. It's perfectly normal.It's part of life. As long as it's acceptable there shouldn't be any problem. Have you recorded in a DAW and checked? If you can record tight enough, live with it.Also make sure you don't have any plugin loaded on the channel that can definitely create too much latency.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Also make sure Constant Latency isn’t selected in the menu (settings menu? Can’t remember). That option sets the latency at its maximum setting (around 4.5 ms, if I remember correctly). My own measurements have the KPAs latency at approximately 3 ms under normal operation. Effect heavy Rigs can increase that a bit, mainly those with transpose functions, but it shouldn’t be perceptible by the vast majority of people.

• Even if you stand a bit from an amp, a live concert, telephone etc you have latency. It's perfectly normal.It's part of life. As long as it's acceptable there shouldn't be any problem. Have you recorded in a DAW and checked? If you can record tight enough, live with it.Also make sure you don't have any plugin loaded on the channel that can definitely create too much latency.

I had hoped if he played around with the transpose function,and heard how that was,he would come back to the original sound and realize the latency he heard wasnt bad at all.

• I had hoped if he played around with the transpose function,and heard how that was,he would come back to the original sound and realize the latency he heard wasnt bad at all.

I agree with you.

Henry David Thoreau

• I don't :). There shouldn't be any perceivable latency so why not debug a bit. Definitely try headphones as suggested.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Sounds like a latency problems from ASIO in your DAW (which happens frequently)
    Could be the audio card too
    Be sure to ISOLATE the problem
    Dont take for granted that the Kemper is the problem
    Make other test with midi keyboards in your DAW too , or microphone etc...

BTW I never had a latency problem whatsoever with my Kemper but add latency problems with audio card ASIO drivers and DAW VERY often

Good luck

8)8)8) G Force

• For us old stubborn tube amplifier purists, there does seem to be a little something different in the attack when playing through the KPA, There is that extreme immediate attack when playing through a Marshall with 4×12 cabinet in the room...
    However, I really don’t think it is latency, it’s just a very slight different feel, which I am pretty much at home with now…
    It is so amazing carrying my little green bag with all my cabinets, all my Effex units, all of my boutique amplifiers, all of my cables, set up time is just under three minutes, it’s just in sanely simple and the tones through the PA are as good as any I have had in the past 30 years!
    :thumbup:

• For us old stubborn tube amplifier purists, there does seem to be a little something different in the attack when playing through the KPA, There is that extreme immediate attack when playing through a Marshall with 4×12 cabinet in the room...
    However, I really don’t think it is latency, it’s just a very slight different feel, which I am pretty much at home with now…
    It is so amazing carrying my little green bag with all my cabinets, all my Effex units, all of my boutique amplifiers, all of my cables, set up time is just under three minutes, it’s just in sanely simple and the tones through the PA are as good as any I have had in the past 30 years!
    :thumbup:

Sure. We're playing recorded guitar tones so of course it will sound a little bit different. I wonder what others would had said 20 years ago that you don't need to carry that big stack to the gig, Just a small box under your arm loaded full of different amps. ^^

Henry David Thoreau

• 3-4 ms is so small of a latency, it would be almost impossible to notice. Like Monkey_Man said above, you get that standing 5 feet from the speaker and strumming the guitar.

So unless OP has super powers and notices that someone's mouth is moving before they can be heard in a normal conversation (speed of light vs sound), I think there is definitely something misbehaving in his setup with the Kemper and would be worth figuring out.

• Speed of sound
    343m/sec @ 20ºC = 1125'/sec = 1.125'/ms
    331.3m/sec @ 0ºC = 1087'/sec = 1.087'/ms

So, the Kemper's 3.4ms (sans Constant Latency) in distance equals
    1.17m or 3' 10" @ 20ºC
    1.13m or 3' 8" @ 0ºC

IOW, at room temperature, if you're hearing latency when standing less than 4' from your amp, the Kemper is not for you. Headphones or IEM's will be the only things you'll be able to live with.

*The Kemper, AFAIK, actually delivers down to around 3ms depending upon FX usage and the Profile used, so the above figures are conservative.

• I agree with him. Oh! it's me !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8)8)8) G Force